• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

They'd revoke my D&D gamer license if they knew....

Miln

Explorer
I agree with Joe B., I think.

See, I hate dragons as presented. I love the way they look, but hate the flavor text.

I use them as monsters, not smart wizards in huge powerful bodies. Basically drop the int to 1 or 2 and strip away most (if not all) magic.

VirgilCaine

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
. . . that I think the Monty Python films are shab-eriffic compared to the series which no-one ever seems to quote (beyond the parrot sketch).

I love the "Hungarian in a tobacconist's" sketch.
"I WILL NOT but this record IT IS scratched."

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Zendragon said:
I like dragons and dungeons just fine, but hate spell casting rangers. I never once read where Aragorn cast a spell.

Then re-read the part after Frodo and Co. are attacked by the Nazgul on Weathertop, where Aragorn is tending to the wound in his shoulder using athelas. With the way he chants/sings over the bowl, and given that magic/the power of creation is so strongly linked to singing by Tolkien, welllll...there is more than one way to see the matter.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
That I sit at the very top of the Geek Heirarchy and I'm not even ashamed of it? (Though I haven't written that sort of tripe in a while)

On Point
* Hate Vancian Casting, Use a modified version of 2e Netheril for Magic
* Have Permanently banned all damage caps because being better should have its perks
* Dumped Spellcasting for all except Mages(just one no sorcerers) Priests, and Druids
* Hate Dungeons
* All those in positions of political power are unredeemably evil
* Don't hold my players to modern moral standards. There are slaves and war crimes are heroic

But worst of all
* Humans are a small downtrodden minority of the world and everyone else makes fun of them

Abe.ebA

First Post
I hate:
* hobbits and all stripes of halfling, though I hate the non-hobbity ones somewhat less
* drow, regardless of their alignment
* non-spellcaster-spellcasters (if magic is so hard to learn that wizards can't use a sword, how the heck does everyone else have time to just pick it up as they go?)
* vancean (vancian? vanceian?) magic
* 99% of d&d-related fiction
* nearly all the campaign settings but especially Greyhawk and Dragonlance
* the combat system
* how d&d societies are usually described more like Reneissance or Victorian age culture but we don't get steam power or gunpowder
* gnomes, gnolls, kobolds, orcs, trolls, owlbears, and most of the humanoid monsters as presented
* furries and anything that can be refered to as anthropomorphic and wasn't made by some sort of wizard
* how elfs, gnomes, sprites, and the rest of the fey are just humans with slightly different personalities
* the RPGA
* the lack of anything really fantastic in the fantasy. Everything, or nearly so, is acheivable or defeatable by the PCs, leaving nothing to awe or humble them.

I love:
* dropping un-statted creatures into adventures and letting them do whatever seems appropriately challenging at the time
* mixing Lovecraft and Steam-/Victorian-punk with standard fantasy
* weird environments
* coming up with reams of house rules which will never see play because I realize nobody wants to be bothered learning them

Oh, and I hate Tolkien's writing and studiously avoid gaming with total strangers (cons and the like included).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
You guys look like you're having so much fun, I can't help but jump in too! :)

Things I'd lose my gamer's license for hating:
* Dungeons & the crawling thereof, especially the Underdark
* Vancian magic
* "Kill things & take their stuff"
* Magic that totally eclipses skills

Things I like that will likely get me lynched on RPG forums:
* Bards, monks, and ninjae, oh my!
* Wizards has finally released enough stuff to build the characters I want. (Yay PHB2!)
* D&D minis
* Feats. Give me a Compendium, please!

davidschwartznz

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
I: Have longbows as exotic weapons
Why?

On a related note, I dislike the term "exotic weapon" when what they really mean is difficult or unusual in use. And monk weapons that aren't all that exotic: dammit, a kama is a sickle, a nunchuku is a flail, and a siangham is used just like shortsword.

reanjr

First Post
I like dragons but I rarely use them. They're more there for plot elements than as creatures to fight. I don't like dungeons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads