TSR Thieves Percentages: Expert VS Rules Cyclopedia

Mezuka

Hero
Terrible.

Although TBH one of my favorite house rules for Basic/Expert, BECM or OD&D is to ditch Thief skill percentages entirely, and just have them use the Hear Noise chance for everything. With a +2 for Climb Walls.

BTW, this should probably be in the D&D Older Editions sub-forum.
When did you start using that house rule?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
What did you think of that as a thief player or as a DM?
Shockingly, I rarely had a thief in our parties. My little brother played one for a while and the "joke" was that he was the most incompetent thief in all the land because he almost always failed his rolls. Eventually he gave up on thieves and started playing an Elf.

Later when I started thinking about the game as something designed and probabilities as something to be weighed I realized that it wasn't that my brother was unlucky - it was that the game set him up to fail.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Shockingly, I rarely had a thief in our parties. My little brother played one for a while and the "joke" was that he was the most incompetent thief in all the land because he almost always failed his rolls. Eventually he gave up on thieves and started playing an Elf.

Later when I started thinking about the game as something designed and probabilities as something to be weighed I realized that it wasn't that my brother was unlucky - it was that the game set him up to fail.
Yeah, a friend of mine back then loved the idea of thief characters,* but hated actually playing them because they were so bad. The joke was to flip a coin before opening our front door to see if the thief could successfully come in and be played that day.

* Later in life, I found out this guy was a routine shoplifter. But probably no correlation, right?

Yora

Legend
Thieves in either version can somewhat work at lower levels if you treat the skills not as normal thieving activities, but as superhuman feats.
Hiding in shadows when there is nothing to hide behind. Moving without any sound, even in a quiet place. Climbing on surfaces that are impossible to climb for anyone else. The abilities are not called "hide", "move quietly", and "climb" for a reason. Finding and Removing traps with a die roll is for when players describing what they look for and how they attempt to disable traps did not accomplish anything.
It does break down with Open Locks somewhat. But even that can be interpreted as opening locks without alerting people on the other side.

If for any other situations, you "assume competence" and let thieves do things any thief should be able to do, then they are not that bad.
The text doesn't say that, because the text doesn't say anything. But it seems plausible in the context of what is reported of the earliest ways in which D&D and its prototypes were played before thieves even were a thing.

Mezuka

Hero
Yep, same here. We used both, and didn't really notice an appreciable difference. 15% looks like a lot on paper, but in practice it rarely mattered.

Doctor: 'The operation has a 65% chance of success.'

Patient: 'No problemo doctor, as long as I have 50% I'm good. I don't need the extra 15%.'

Doctor: (perplexed) 'Let's do a brain scan while you are here.'

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Doctor: 'The operation has a 65% chance of success.'

Patient: 'No problemo doctor, as long as I have 50% I'm good. I don't need the extra 15%.'

Doctor: (perplexed) 'Let's do a brain scan while you are here.'
This is a tabletop roleplaying game, not a life-threatening medical procedure.

Mezuka

Hero
This is a tabletop roleplaying game, not a life-threatening medical procedure.
DM: You have 65% of jumping over the chasm or fall to your death.

Players: 'No problemo, as long as I have 50% I'm good. I don't need the extra 15%.'

DM: (perplexed) 'So be it. You have 50% then.'

As his character is falling to his death the player admits he would have like to have the extra 15%.

Numbers matter in a RPG. 15% is the equivalent of a +3 weapon. It matters a lot in the context of the adventure.

Remove ads