• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Things 5E has taught you about your playstyle.

Eirikrautha

First Post
As soon as you allow yourself to accept that the combat rules are abstract, you can get very concise, clear rules that play lightning fast.

It's only once you start trying to add in the idea of simulation (that there are direct correlations between the dice and what's going on in the fiction) that you bog down speed.

Uhhh, that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted. Who are you arguing with?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I've found that my goal with the hobby is now to have as much fun at the table as possible. I don't know if this is a result of 5E or not, but it is something that I have been focusing on. As an example, as DM last night, I made an off color out of character joke about the NPC Druid Brown Bear that was a bit of a groaner. Most of the table laughed, but one of the players just shook his head and groaned. I looked at him and said "Sorry, but given the choice between getting most people laughing and political correctness, I pick getting most people laughing.".

My goal as DM is to make the game as much fun as possible for the players. And not just the boisterous take charge of the game players, but the quiet ones as well. That includes house rules that take away some of the "balance straight jackets" of 5E, giving every PC multiple chances to shine in their particular schtick or niche at least a couple of times per session, etc. The fun of the game now takes precedence over the rules of the game for me. I do try to stick closely to the rules, but if a rule isn't working for our table and making the game less memorable, I have no problem modifying that rule.

Pickles JG

First Post
I don't know if its necessarily V, but I've swung towards being a lenient DM. My gf is at the table now and the advantage mechanic keeps things from getting out of control so I just sort of roll with whatever now. Like last night the guy playing a Monk was battling a thug in a flophouse and he wanted to use one of his attacks to throw a blanket over the guys head. Sure. If you it, then the next attacks have Advantage. Why not? If you think about it he was probably gonna hit at least two of his attacks anyways. Rule of cool they call it. I think the real new twist to my approach has been to not overcomplicate adjudicating that stuff. Just let it happen.
I sometimes come up with elaborate houserules to satisfy some simulatory itch, but I find that they usually don't go over well at the table. And if they don't, well then, why not shine it?

The thing is while you are trying to be helpful you are actually penalising your monk. You have given up the chance to hit twice with the same chance of missing or hitting once. The benefit of being blind needs to last longer to make it worthwhile but if the benefit is too great monks will start carrying around blankets for blinding. Suitably self moderating players will not abuse this but many will try to.

Pickles JG

First Post
I have found I play 5e more like other RPGs than 3e /4e. Lots of planning and some interaction with combat as a break rather than settting up a string of set pieces. Of course I run online 5e so its going to demphasis the fights which work less well pure totm without even sketch maps.

As an aside I have noticed most of my games involve lots of planning and scheming. Eg the players organised a sea trip and previously heists. Some of this is Role playing interaction and there is a smidge of combat but mostly its something else and I am loathe to call it "exploration".

Hmm that mostly just restated the previous paragraph.

Remove ads