• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Things that make you want to buy 5E

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Monster presentation and design are also things that makes me want to buy 5E. Their statblock is useful in that it incorporate all the pertinent info all nicely packed and are easy to use, refluff or modify

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm actually most interested to hear about the inner workings of the closed playtest, and about the design/production schedule, particularly how long they took with 5e.

One of the (appropriate) complaints of 4e was the rushed production, and massive amounts of errata that resulted. I'd like that not to happen in 5e.

Things about 5e itself that are interesting to me...
  • Exploration rules, and how they've evolved
  • What sorts of rules modules are available right out the gate
  • Social rules and how Bonds, Ideals, and Flaws work
  • Legendary monster/lair rules
  • How the skill system handles common issues (e.g. Group checks, retries, hidden checks, etc.)
  • Quality of the introductory adventures
  • Transparency of design intent

One of the (appropriate) complaints of 4e was the rushed production, and massive amounts of errata that resulted. I'd like that not to happen in 5e.

I think this is one of the most reasonable complaints about 4E, but there was an upside - the errata pretty much all significantly improved 4E. It was a vastly better game post-errata than pre-errata, and it allowed them to learn from mistakes rather than making all "bugs" into "features".

I mean, in 3E, the BRV Fighter, ludicrously powerful at release, would probably have been allowed to stand, which would have resulted in a lot of un-fun games where BRV Fighters were present, and annoyed players where they got banned as an option. Everyone loses. By changing it, though, they kept it as an option but kept it playable, too. Everyone wins.

With 5E I hope they test more and need fewer errata, but at the same time, I sincerely hope that when a change is needed, they make it, and don't rely on DMs to ban or house-rule everything for them.

keterys

First Post
Battlerage fighter, from Martial Power, had the ability to generate 5-10+ temporary hit points whenever hit, which at the time made them largely invulnerable to damage.

Gilbetron

First Post
  • "Heavy" feats - seems like an awesome way to do feats.
  • Smooth, fast combat
  • Classes and subclasses
  • Backgrounds
  • Simpler, 2E-ish monsters with 4E-ish enhancements to make them a bit more fun

The big thing that makes me want to buy 5E is the hope that WotC will put out some great adventures, settings, and other "fluff". Basically Adventure Paths + 5E = Big Win.

Quickleaf

Legend
I think this is one of the most reasonable complaints about 4E, but there was an upside - the errata pretty much all significantly improved 4E. It was a vastly better game post-errata than pre-errata, and it allowed them to learn from mistakes rather than making all "bugs" into "features".

I mean, in 3E, the BRV Fighter, ludicrously powerful at release, would probably have been allowed to stand, which would have resulted in a lot of un-fun games where BRV Fighters were present, and annoyed players where they got banned as an option. Everyone loses. By changing it, though, they kept it as an option but kept it playable, too. Everyone wins.

With 5E I hope they test more and need fewer errata, but at the same time, I sincerely hope that when a change is needed, they make it, and don't rely on DMs to ban or house-rule everything for them.
Yes, if the need for errata is there in whatever edition, it's obviously better to put it out there and fixed something broken.

My sentiment is: spend the time and the playtesting needed to get it right in the first place, so that the errata is not needed (or severely reduced).

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Haven't read the entire thread but for me 5e as an all is simply a system that blend into the background during playtime, it's a feeling I didn't had since 2e and BD&D and in some ways it's better.

Warder

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads