D&D 5E Thirty-six views of VGtM

Saint_Ridley

Villager
Huh.

My question would be - would that mean every battle with goblins is just child slaughter? That's kind of dark. ;)

Still figuring out the logistics. Probably wouldn't see regular goblins outside lairs and the ones that do fight would be teenagers trying to protect younger siblings and the homestead.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I didn't buy it because it said "Volo's" on it. You mean it includes annoying commentary by Volo and the DIAF Elminster? No thank you!

I'll probably get around to buying it and put actual sticky notes over the commentary as it sound like a useful resource for me as a DM especially at a discounted price if I can find it. I Should have purchased it from Amazon at a holiday price of $25.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just don't understand. That's like not buying a steak because I'm not going to eat the small amount that's gristle. (Side note. I actually do eat the gristle. Don't judge me!)

bgbarcus

Explorer
The lair maps are a waste of paper, as are all the maps by Blando. They are made to be wall art rather than something useful for play. Other than that, I'm impressed with the book (and I don't run an FR campaign).

Lanliss

Explorer
I didn't buy it because it said "Volo's" on it. You mean it includes annoying commentary by Volo and the DIAF Elminster? No thank you!

I'll probably get around to buying it and put actual sticky notes over the commentary as it sound like a useful resource for me as a DM especially at a discounted price if I can find it. I Should have purchased it from Amazon at a holiday price of $25.

Meh, the "commentary" are things like a note by a picture (similar to those seen on some pages of the MM) that says
"Booyagh means 'Magic' in goblin"-Volo.
They are not an actual commentary. If you can get turned off a decent book by a few sticky notes, you should not buy it. If you can ignore that, it is nice.

Nawara

Explorer
There's really only just enough commentary in the margins to remind you of what a miserable, hateful bastard Elminster is. Volo's notes are helpful additions to the text.

It's useful far beyond FR... I'm actually in the beginning stages of drawing up a brand new campaign setting built entirely around the monster fluff in VGtM.

Remove ads