D&D (2024) This Dragon Art Is From The 2024 Player's Handbook

As shown at GaryCon.

GJSsRwJacAAU8zz.jpeg

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't think it's AI art it's just to clean and crisp.

Not even uncanny valley more that feeling you get watching a movie with to much CGI.

Just lacks something it's technically fine just like the fighter and wizard.

To clean and crisp probably.

Last edited:

Jahydin

Hero
I've spent way too much time looking this thing over because I'm honestly baffled at how odd it is to me...

Some fun observations 😃 :
Freddie Mercury.jpg

Freddie Mercury! (Wife spotted that one)

Guitar Knights.jpg

These knights totally look like they're playing guitars to an audience.

Building.jpg

This building is a good example of what I meant by "noisy". Such an odd jumble of columns, smoke?, rock?, and... not even sure what that is bottom right, left of the king's head. Falling column maybe?

Reflection.jpg

This was cool. Noticed the reflection of these people on his plate mail.

Archer.jpg

I think this is a statue of an archer? Part of me wants to think it's an archer ghost! 👻
Edit: I see the pillar underneath now, but not his legs, so still going to go with ghost.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've spent way too much time looking this thing over because I'm honestly baffled at how odd it is to me...

Some fun observations 😃 :
View attachment 353822
Freddie Mercury! (Wife spotted that one)

Heh, good spotting from your wife - and kudos to the Artist if it is

View attachment 353824
This building is a good example of what I meant by "noisy". Such an odd jumble of columns, smoke?, rock?, and... not even sure what that is bottom right, left of the king's head. Falling column maybe?

Its kind of like the Parthenon and a Brazilian Favela, birthed a love child, so many columns,stacked levels and diverging angles!
I can certainly see why people might think AI, the little details and flourishes are eclectic, but if genuine do showcase some degree of talent if not restraint:) What else has the artist done, is this just his style?

I, personally, think the issue is one of rather severely varying style. The figures closest to the viewer are crisp, perhaps even excessively "realistic," with fairly fine detail put into them. The middle-distance figures are all very impressionistic, and the far-distance figures are like a realistic image was put through some Gaussian blur. In particular, the dragon has details fuzzed--except at the edges of the image, where "dragon" vs "not dragon" is quite sharp.

I think this is where the "uncanny" feeling comes from for folks--the image doesn't really stick to a single way of doing things, but blends together three or even four different ways of presenting depth and detail.

I genuinely have no idea if this was the work of a single person or many people cooperating, but it kinda comes across as collaborative art where the collaborators didn't start talking until each person's piece was nearly finished. So the dragon and the crowd are semi-impressionist, blobs of color vaguely shaped like people, the middle-distance figures are low-detail as though out of focus (as one might expect), and the foreground characters are rendered in almost excessive detail--but every figure (except the crowd) has sharp, well-defined edges, rather than blurring with their surroundings.

It's just a really odd composition choice. It doesn't harm my enjoyment of the dragon at the center, personally, but I can totally see how it would have some uncanny feels for others.

Yeah, that is very good analysis; this is exactly what's going on. I liked the original cropped picture (I mean I don't like metallic dragons, but it still is a very good picture of one) but I don't like the whole picture. It is not that any of the individual elements are bad (perhaps aside the haregon head) but it just doesn't come together as a whole.

Remove ads

Remove ads