This is the Way

The long-gestating Dungeons & Dragons film continues to creep along, but another series has demonstrated that the game may not need a big budget movie at all: The Mandalorian.

themandalorian.jpg

The Manda-who?​

For the uninitiated, The Mandalorian follows a Mandalorian bounty hunter and his ward, a Yoda-like Force-using creature named Grogu in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian draws on rich lore from existing Star Wars canon and elements of the Expanded Universe (now known as Legends) that was created in books, comics, and video games.

What makes The Mandalorian so groundbreaking isn't just that it's a streaming show on Disney+ launching after a massive nine-part movie series, but that it has managed to seamlessly fit into the films' story lines while maintaining movie-level special effects. Jon Favreau, who worked on Marvel's Iron Man and Disney's live action Lion King, took what he learned from those experiences to make a streamlined series that feels like a movie.

And that's a good thing, because the massive diversity of alien fauna and sentient beings in Star Wars has a lot of parallels in the monster-rich world of Dungeons & Dragons. Previous D&D movies have all struggled with portraying monsters true to their D&D roots, both from a script and a special effects perspective (most notably a beholder distracted by a rock).

Favreau's Innovations​

Favreau set out to create a television show with movie-level special effects on a limited budget (for Disney, $15 million per episode). To keep the series within budget and on time, he leveraged two technologies and integrated them into the planning and shooting process.

The first is The Volume, a massive 360 degree projection sound stage where the actors are filmed in real time. Green screen isn't necessary as there's less work done in post-production; the actors in costume stand in front of real-time rendered virtual sets, which means the light glinting off twin suns in the background is automatically reflected in the Mandalorian's shiny beskar armor. Or to put it another way, the special effects are integrated into the background as the actors are filmed.

The second innovation is game-rendering technology. Epic Games, maker of the Unreal Engine, and other partners created StageCraft, a virtually reality platform that enables directors to render the action before a single scene is filmed. The game engine does all the work, allowing directors to determine where cameras and actors should be placed before filming begins.

Taken together, these two technologies are revolutionizing film making for series that require fantastic locations and creatures. Which makes it perfect for D&D.

The D&D Series that Never Was​

Ironically, the Dungeons & Dragons media franchise was always a supposed to be television series. This all came to light in lawsuits over the movie rights, which pivoted on the TV rights. The rights were originally owned by Sweetpea Entertainment and continuation of those rights were contingent upon creating further movies; Sweetpea made two movies that were released on the Syfy channel, "Wrath of the Dragon God" and "The Book of Vile Darkness." According to the suit, their status as TV movies did not qualify as a "theatrical motion picture" and therefore did not "reset the Sequel Rights' five-year revision clock." As evidence that Sweetpea Entertainment knew it was creating a television show and not an actual sequel to the movie:
Sweetpea paid, and Hasbro accepted, a payment of $20,000--the amount contractually tied only to the exploitation of Television Rights, and consistent with the parties' mutual understanding that the Second TV Movie was a made-for-television production for release on the Syfy Channel. Were the Second TV Movie planned or released as a theatrical or non-theatrical sequel, prequel or remake based on the Picture, Sweetpea would have paid the greater amount under the License for exercising the Sequel Rights.
Using the payment as evidence, the lawsuit alleged that the movie rights actually reverted to Hasbro five years after the movie's debut on December 8, 2005. Sweetpea's counter lawsuit claimed the company had invested over 60,000 hours and $2 million in a television series.

Thanks to the pandemic and Favreau's innovative new filming techniques, the line between a movie and a television series have blurred. All this legal wrangling seems moot now, but it illustrates how with the right budget and the right technology, a "good" D&D series today is more possible than ever. Maybe we don't need a D&D movie after all.

Your Turn: What multimedia will work best to bring Dungeons & Dragons to a wider audience?

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Faolyn

(she/her)
What I meant to say is that "You could certainly work it that way." i.e. Having the the story revolve around the "game" itself and then the real life of the players is a viable option. I think that'd work best if you were going for a comedy though. Which is certainly a possibility. And I think you really need to have it based on a particular setting. No reason to leave all that lovely IP sitting around doing nothing.
Or they make a new setting, like with Critical Role.

I think it should be a dramady, not a straight-out comedy, with the humor coming from the players and characters, not from wacky situations. Although I admit I say this because I don't watch comedies, for the most part.

what I like the most about Mandolarian is the Western-sci-fi-heroic fantasy style.
it is full of obvious short cut, approximation and completly out of realism. Pure Dnd!

Dire Bare

Legend
I think Legends would make a better show.
Legends is a great story and would make a great TV show, but . . . I don't think it makes much sense without Chronicles preceding it.

My dream Dragonlance TV show has the budget and skilled showrunners like the Mandalorian . . . but slightly reimagines the story to revamp problematic elements, most visibly how different races are portrayed (mostly kender, gully dwarves, and gnomes but also the "baddies" like draconians and goblins). Integrate all the story elements from the original 14 modules, the "Lost Chronicles", and any other random story bits floating around out there. Follow that up with a similar take on Legends . . . and then pull a Disney, in the sense that all other Dragonlance novels are now quasi-canon that can be freely reimagined for future stories.

The Chaos War and Age of Mortals never happened . . . . :)

Dire Bare

Legend
Wouldn't the best D&D setting be one that, like The Gamers, has both the PCs and the players?

Two plotlines going at once: one of whatever the game is, and the other being the ins and outs of the players lives. The first could be any sort of action, fantasy politics, or whatever. The second would be normal family/friend drama. Half the episode devoted to each. Something for everyone!
I, for one, really, really hope they never do this. Unless as a set-up for a live-action version of the 80s cartoon. Show the kids playing the game before that fateful day at the amusement park . . .

I've really tried hard to like "The Gamers" and it's follow-ups, but I just haven't been able to.

Jaeger

That someone better
Game of Thrones showed there was an appetite for fantasy TV shows. Amazon's upcoming Lord of the Rings TV show is going to be the most expensive TV show ever made. The time is definitely ripe for it.

Clicks link and reads...

Holy crap that's expensive as hell!

If the writers don't nail the tone and theme, that's a billion dollars up in smoke.

'm concerned that people are too concerned with 'D&D'. The problem is that everyone has their own opinion what it is and what they like. I could say that I would want a FR world and a campaign set in Phandalin and everyone else would picture something else.

Yes, this is a bigger issue with a "D&D" movie than most think at first.

LoTR, Game of Thrones, and now The Witcher all benefit from having settings that are far more focused and constrained than D&D's current kitchen sink menageries of Eberron and Forgotten Realms.

If I were the guy in charge I would not gamble big on an all original story. I would pick a D&D property that had some success, and adapt that. (Gamble slightly less big.)

I personally would do an adaptation of the Dark Elf Trilogy. Start with an adaptation of Homeland, then work from there. Even then I think some things about the larger FR world would have to be trimmed back a bit. (Although I would absolutely change the Drow skin tone to a pale grey.)

Would it work? Who Knows!

But I'd much rather have a D&D movie based on a known successful character and story arc that has resonated with many fans in the past; rather than trust some random screenwriter's idea of what they think "D&D" is. At least with a known Property, said screenwriters are given a more clear creative focus.

Hercules and Xena are good example of how fantasy tv could be made.

Personally I look more to the Spartacus series as an example of what can be done.

The Shannara Chronicles 2 season run is a perfect example that there are no guarantees however.

You had a fantasy show based on a book series that was very popular in its day.

The show tanked.

IMHO, the people that wind up developing and writing any movie or tv series can oftentimes be more important than whatever IP is being adapted.

Wouldn't the best D&D setting be one that, like The Gamers, has both the PCs and the players?

Two plotlines going at once: one of whatever the game is, and the other being the ins and outs of the players lives. The first could be any sort of action, fantasy politics, or whatever. The second would be normal family/friend drama. Half the episode devoted to each. Something for everyone!

No, that would be trash and I don't want some D&D movie ripping off a great movie like The Princess Bride.

MGibster

Legend
I'm concerned that people are too concerned with 'D&D'. The problem is that everyone has their own opinion what it is and what they like. I could say that I would want a FR world and a campaign set in Phandalin and everyone else would picture something else. I would want X races and not Y, or high/low magic, or etc... A GoT series did well partly since the world was not 'D&D'. A LotR series should do well since people know more what to expect up front.
It's only a problem if you don't have a strong creative force with a particular vision at the helm. Let's face it, a lot of us are at least going to give the series a chance regardless of the setting, whether it's serious, tongue-in-cheek, or whatever. So you need someone to decide on things like tone, plot, characters, etc., etc. without too much interference from other parties.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases