Thoughts In Anything Goes?

Zardnaar

Legend
Now some people think I'm a hard ass who hates anything goes. That's not strictly true I don't mind it as long as the world is built from the ground up. So Eberron is fine while adding lots of stuff to say Darksun is not.

If you're running a themed game whatever that them is it should take priority.

So dear readers this thread is a brainstorm thing about anything goes. All PHB races are available.

Generally I find a hook or gimmick is also important to make a world stand out. FR originally was a more approachable GH.

So the basic idea.

Post Apocalyptic. The gods are dead.
The core 4 are the main races. Other phb races are minor, anything else probably semi unique.

Everything else is mutants. Mutants don't have a huge stigma and around half the population is mutants.

Clerics exist but the divine spark is in them. Pick any domain you want.

Hook/Gimmick
Lots of wild magic and dead magic areas.
Zones of "poison" where the land is contaminated.

The wastes are populated by raiders. Water is contaminated a lot.

Fallout 4 Survival mode;) as inspiration.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
With "anything goes" your OP seems to refer to setting conceits; or are you also talking about an anything-goes style of play?

For setting, I'll mash together anything I can figure out a rationale for. Want something resembling Darksun or Al-Qadim? It's out there. Want something resembling Oriental Adventures? Go that way long enough and you'll hit it. Want an Eberron-like society full of robots? Only slightly harder to reach - you need to jump to the other world in the binary system.

Doesn't mean players can play all the oddball stuff from those settings; they're out there intentionally to be something foreign.

Caution about wild and-or dead magic areas: having run a couple of adventures in such areas dead-magic can change things more than you might expect, and constant wild-magic can really change your campaign for better or worse or both (think of a toned-down Deck of Many Things but that just keeps going).

Remove ads