Thoughts on Cleric Domains

ManicFuel

First Post
jerichothebard said:
This is great - except the that Emotion spell is gone in 3.5, replaced by two different spells - one for fear, the other hope. (I forget their titles off hand). I suggest subbing Sculpt Sound in the level 3 slot, instead.

And I do think that the granted power might be a bit much - combined with the Knowledge domain, a cleric could basically be a bard without being a bard. Particularly if you were using the Cloistered Cleric from Unearthed Arcana, who get more skill points and some additional spells on their spell list...

(I am doing exactly that with an NPC, which is why I noticed.)

I suggest subbing this instead: all spells with the [sonic] descriptor are cast at +1 caster level.

jtb

Thanks for the feedback, and the catch of the 3.0 to 3.5 change. Sculpt Sound works nicley. I hadn't though of the Knowledge/Music combo, since I don't have a deity with both IMC. And I did plan on adding the Cloistered Cleric from UA as well.

So I am open to changing the domain power, but I disagree with the suggested change. By my count there are only 7 cleric spells that have the sonic descriptor. Of these, 4 are 7th level and have an alignment descriptor, and 3 are 2nd level. I am using the spell list from the 3.5 SRD, and the spells I'm reffereing to are: Blasphemy, Dictum, Enthrall, Holy Word, Shatter, Sound Burst and Word of Chaos.

What about allowing these clerics to emulate the bardic music ability for purposes of using magical instruments, or using such instruments more effectively (some metamagic feat, like Extend Spell)? Or a single bardic music ability useable only once per day?

jerichothebard

First Post
ManicFuel said:
Thanks for the feedback, and the catch of the 3.0 to 3.5 change. Sculpt Sound works nicley. I hadn't though of the Knowledge/Music combo, since I don't have a deity with both IMC. And I did plan on adding the Cloistered Cleric from UA as well.

So I am open to changing the domain power, but I disagree with the suggested change. By my count there are only 7 cleric spells that have the sonic descriptor. Of these, 4 are 7th level and have an alignment descriptor, and 3 are 2nd level. I am using the spell list from the 3.5 SRD, and the spells I'm reffereing to are: Blasphemy, Dictum, Enthrall, Holy Word, Shatter, Sound Burst and Word of Chaos.

What about allowing these clerics to emulate the bardic music ability for purposes of using magical instruments, or using such instruments more effectively (some metamagic feat, like Extend Spell)? Or a single bardic music ability useable only once per day?

One of the powers of the Cloistered Cleric is that they get the Knowledge domain free in addition to their two domain choices - regardless of whether or not it is one of thier god's "normal" offerings. So even if your god of music doesn't have it, a CC of that god would (as written, anyway).

Good point about the spell list, although the domain spells add a couple to the mix. I hadn't gone through all 9 levels yet to count.

I think the metamagic feat in combination with an instrument is an interesting idea. Alternatively, what about one of the musical feats from S&S? or just a simple Skill Focus: Perform?

Last edited:

Omand

Hero
Hello,

Well, work has been busy and I am still catching up on what people have listed here.

Kamikaze Midget,

Your project sounds interesting. Can you let just a bit more slip, please? :D

Cheers :)

Omand

Hero
Kamikaze Midget,

Friday Five? Sorry, not a term I am familiar with.

Work is far to busy. I have stilln ot managed to catch up.

Anyone else out there have otehr ideas for domains that should have been core or suggestions on domain spells and powers like those given above?

Now that the Player's Guide to Faerun is out, are the domains given in there a solution for some of my questions?

Cheers :)

Remove ads