Thoughts on Nikita & Terriers

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How do shows like In Plain Sight, Burn Notice, Psych do so well on USA (all fun shows - me likey) yet on FX, Terriers doesn't get the love? I am guessing it's mostly an advertising problem, since USA ad spams their shows and the whole "characters welcome" is a nice overarching marketing theme.

Part of that is USA's success as a cable network. It has one of the largest audiences in all of basic cable. It also had a huge hit with Monk, which just recently ended it's run.

But remember, when Monk was starting to get hot, USA's parent company, ABC, tried to put it on IT'S schedule...where it bombed. ABC dropped it, USA kept it, and it ran for a decade.

And it (alongside a couple of other shows) brought viewers to USA in huge numbers, which the channel capitalized on by putting other well written and enjoyable shows on for those new viewers to see.

FX's biggest hits have- with the exception of Nip/Tuck- been "guy shows.". Not exactly a formula for failure, but like the aforementioned, the show just doesn't "fit."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A rare episode: a season finale that could also serve as a series finale...and without a drop in quality. Terriers deserves another season, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not at all disappointed with what aired.

Fast Learner

First Post
My sentiments exactly. It was nicely satisfying, especially in that everything didn't work out perfectly, but it all worked out. Enough plot strings left for another season, but not so many that I'd care if there isn't a second.

Simply great television.

catsclaw227

First Post
This has been my favorite series since Spartacus. I am enjoying Boardwalk Empire on HBO but it hasn't had the profoud effect that I have felt from Rome or Big Love.

LightPhoenix

First Post
What I think worked best about it was that it was so uncharacteristically hopeful at the end. I suppose that was the point of Hank and Gretchen's conversation at the end though.

I will be buying the hell out of the DVD when it comes out.

Remove ads