Thoughts on Nikita & Terriers

LightPhoenix

First Post
I thought I'd write out some thoughts on these two shows, since I had a chance to see them. I know it's an ecclectic duo of shows.

I'm going to come right out and say I think Terriers will be the best new show this fall. I haven't seen most of them, but I highly doubt anything will be as good based on the pilot. Donal Logue is absolutely great as the lead character Hank; despite having very little in the way of characterization thus far (aside from random lines thrown about), he really made Hank come to life. One scene in particular (
when his ex-wife tells him she's getting married
) was so well acted on his part that I was pulling for him even though by all rights I shouldn't be. The rest of the cast was okay, but they didn't really get a chance to shine aside from James (aka Rene from True Blood, as Donal's partner). I'm very much hoping the show manages to grow an audience - the 1.1 it got in ratings was eh for FX, but it did pretty terribly in the 18-49 group (0.5).

Interestingly, Nikita is a somewhat similar show - both shows are driven primarily by the idea of revenge. While Terriers has a lot of charm, Nikita has a lot of style. The pilot was relatively engaging, and Maggie Q is quite cute (as opposed to hot, which she also is). The acting overall was a little wooden, but then most of the actors are supposed to be emotionless assassins. Hopefully they manage to loosen up a bit before the story starts to demand characterization. I read reviews that compared Nikita to Dollhouse - that is an entirely apt analogy. In fact, through the whole show my biggest thought was that this is what Dollhouse should have been from the start. If it manages to maintain the level of action it did in the pilot while mixing in some decent emotional growth, I think the show will turn out pretty good.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Can't speak to the other show, but I, too, liked Terriers. I've been a fan of Donal Logue for some time, and think this may be his dramatic breakthrough role.

Sutekh

First Post
Well , Im still a bit puzzled. I know La Femme Nakita wasnt just on tv, but it honestly dosnt seem like that long ago. and there is another Nikita already?

As Im in Australia both of these shows will likely appear late at night if at all, and I wont watch them that late. That and they will both start airing in 2012, long after at least one of them had been cancelled.

Fast Learner

First Post
Agreed, it's surprisingly good! It's much deeper and more emotionally involving than I suspect folks get from watching commercials for it, or even if you just watch the first part of an episode. Donal Logue's character is fantastic.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And so far, they've shown an willingness to have plotlines that could be potentially devastating.

Which actually reminds me a bit of In Plain Sight.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Not just that, but they have a way of telling stories that could really easily be cliche, but come across as very real and organic. Case in point (spoiler for recent eps),
Katie not telling Britt about cheating on him
. That's something that easily crosses over into overused trope territory, but when it happened I got why.

As an aside, Nikita stopped holding my interest - haven't bothered to watch for a few weeks now.

Remove ads