• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thoughts on the D&D Starter Set (Spoilers!)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It's something like 14 months since the D&D Starter Set was released. Which means, of course, that it was well past time to review it! It's odd - there's no adventure I've played as much in a short period of time as this one. Three times in all, each time with a different group, and I expect that it'll come out in the future as well. Because, you know, it's a really solid adventure.

It can also be deadly. My current play of the adventure is because I did a TPK against a group in Hoard of Dragons, so I wanted to quickly get a new party up to the level where they could take over at the place the others left off. Except they ran into the Black Spider and battled foolishly - running into melee in the middle of a big room, and swiftly being surrounded by giant spiders. Actually, that was only half the group - the half who hadn't been playing Hoard with me. The group that had played Hoard knew better and ran away. They also did so before the downed characters failed their third death saves, so they're all still potentially alive. Just captured.

Useful tip: Run away before your friends die, and they exist in a Schrodinger's Cat state, potentially alive or dead. :)

The very first time I ran the adventure, the initial ambush saw the cleric of the group cut down by missile fire before he acted. Which meant the group started by ignoring the goblin trail and going into town and getting involved in the Redbrand storyline first. Which is really challenging as there's a HUGE difference between first and second level characters. You know that extra die worth of hit points? It really matters!

I'm yet to actually run the Green Dragon encounter. None of my three groups have discovered that quest. On the other hand, I've seen some great interaction with the banshee. One group spent the rest of the adventure avoiding the Harper in town after using her gift to ask a different question. I've only managed to work the Zhentarim agent into the adventure once. I do feel that there's a lot more townlife I can run than I have so far, but the adventure just hasn't gone that way.

When I began DMing, my first adventure to run was the venerable Keep on the Borderlands. At least, it's venerable now. It was a few years old when I tried running it (in 1985, as I recall). I was very young. I was very inexperienced. And I had absolutely no idea what to do with the actual Keep section. "Men take your horses to area 2" - this is perhaps not the best way of describing what happened as the party entered the Keep. The Caves were fine - it's easy to run dungeons. The Keep itself? That was hard!

So, I'm very happy with the way Phandalin is described. Having NPCs with quests? Very Baldur's Gate! (The Village of Hommlet managed to describe all the wrong things, IMO.) I was very fond of the village section of Keep on the Shadowfell as well, and I'm not sure which I prefer more, but Lost Mine has the better dungeons. And overall structure. And system. A lot of the problems with Keep on the Shadowfell really came down to it being 4E; the dungeon would be a lot less tedious if run at 5E speed.

The existence of the Basic Rules really makes the lack of character creation rules a non-issue for me. The rulebook in the Starter is awesome - doubly so because it's really just sections of the PHB reprinted and reorganised. You don't have the horrible surprise of finding that the game you've been playing isn't the actual game (see the 4E Red Box starter... argh!) One of my techniques for creating pregens for organised play is to only use spells found in the Starter rulebook. I can then lob it at them for detail look-up.

So, have you played the Lost Mine of Phandelver? Have you played it several times? How do you find it, and how do you think it's holding up, 14 months in?

Cheers!

Daern

Explorer
I ran it and would run it again. My players missed the dragon as well, so I threw it into another campaign and it was a great session. My only real complaint is that the final dungeon is a little less than awesome, particularly the last section of it. The forge thing doesn't make much sense or have any effect and the most spectacular monster, the spectator, is kinda weak. Basically, I think the ultimate room of the Lost Mine could be better, but the rest was great.

delericho

Legend
My review is in the reviews section, and still reflects my thoughts on the Starter Set.

I was extremely doubtful when I heard the content for the Starter Set (no character creation? Nothing on creating your own adventures?). But I'll admit I was wrong - the set does exactly what it was intended to do, and it does it very well indeed. And it really doesn't hurt that "Lost Mine" is the first classic adventure of the 5e-era.

pukunui

Legend
I've only run Lost Mine once. The players consisted of my wife and some friends of ours, none of whom had played D&D before. They all loved it!

While it does have its flaws, it's a solid little adventure. I think the best part of it for me was how little prep I actually needed to do before each session.

As for the green dragon: my group *did* go to Thundertree to retrieve the lady's necklace (or whatever it is), but they deliberately avoided the spiders, the undead, and the dragon. They talked to the druid, fought some twig blights, talked to the cultists, fought some more twig blights, found the treasure, then went back to Phandalin.

Last edited:

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
I played it half a time with my normal group. We loved it, but weren't connected to the pre-gens.

Now I'm playing it with my 7, 5 and 3 year old kids with created characters and they really love it. This has been a game filled with cheers and tears and cheers again. We are just about to get to the ruined keep.

That said to make it work for kids this young I have cut out most of the non-dungeon crawl stuff, and really simplified the rules. It works though. I've been surprised how well it works.

S'mon

Legend
I had the opposite experience from you - the presentation of Phandalin with NPCs just "name & quest" made it extremely hard for me to run, whereas a Hommlet style approach to presentation (plus maybe a few location/NPC based rumours & quests) would have made it far easier. With no proper NPC descriptions or stat blocks (except for the ones you're expected to kill) I was unable to make the place feel coherent or alive. I found presentation of the dungeons to be mediocre at best.
I had enjoyed playing Phandelver, getting to make some sandboxy choices, but later GMing it was a huge disappointment. Overall, I realise that an adventure "good for WotC" still means "pretty bad", and it has dissuaded me from picking up the official adventures, when OSR and old-edition pre-WotC stuff is so much better done.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I had the opposite experience to S'mon. :) Presented as a town in decline and, more importantly, as a rich quest hub, the players connected to Phandalin as quickly as the NPC's connected with their characters. The underlying Redbrand threat emerged through a couple of they-write-themselves roleplaying encounters, and the PC's quickly set themselves up as defenders of the weak. They went on the hunt for the hideout and purged it with all the righteous glee one would expect from a band of mostly-Good adventurers. From there, it was a quick journey to Tresendar Manor becoming the party's base of operations, and Phandalin their home. Everything else in the module pushed out from there.

I couldn't have asked for a smoother start to the campaign. With tons of NPC's and locations to play with, getting the party to explore, engage the adventure, and ultimately rescue Gundren took little work from me. It was all there in the pages. And as we move into Princes, the party has a *lot* to lose at the hands of the cultists. The only negative I agree on is that Wave Echo Cave itself could have been more interesting.

I would have to say that Lost Mine rates in the top 10, if not the top 5, of the D&D adventures I've run. A+ would DM again.

delericho

Legend
Overall, I realise that an adventure "good for WotC" still means "pretty bad", and it has dissuaded me from picking up the official adventures

Yeah, if that was your experience with LMoP, skipping the WotC adventures is probably wise - it's by far the best of the bunch so far (with the caveat that I've not yet seen "Out of the Abyss").

Mhyr

Explorer
We finished LMoP last saturday after 20 sessions of wonderful adventuring! Although about 5 sessions focused mainly on a side trek about the party's wizard catching lycanthropy from a wererat prostitute back in Neverwinter. It was great! The initial plan was to check out the new edition and start HotDQ with fresh level 1 characters, but LMoP was just too good. We keep the characters and after a short mesh up of HotDQ's Episode 1 and Red Hand of Doom, we switch over to PotA. (Being called to Gauntlgrym and OotA by King Bruenor on somewhere the horizon...)

The best pieces in our LMoP:

The factions! Okay I somehow pressed the matter, so the five factions were very present in our game. And so everybody, except the new first time D&D-player from last session, is a member of a faction. I have a large group and so every faction has at least one PC member, except for the Order and the Enclave which get two! The players like their contacts within the various factions and there is a lot of interaction with these NPCs. We deviced a Campaign Journal-System in which the PCs write reports to their contacts - players taking turns. (If you can speak German, you may want to follow these on our blog: Tintenteufel.)

Venomfang! The players built up this encounter to four sessions of play interacting with the dragon finally driving him off Thundertree. Okay I peppered the ruined village with some green mist and gave the dragon a vine assassin to get rid of them adventurers, but it was really great to see the not-a-whole-page dragon to become one of the mightiest species in the Manual.

The Black Spider! Like in Castle Cragmaw before the PCs took the direct route to the dwarven temple and the drow in session 2 concerning WEC. They even oversaw the bugbears and drow in the waterfall cavern and so they were not only surrounded by giant spider facing a drow mage beyond their level, but the others as well. Instead of TPKing them I struck a bargain: destroy the undead for the drow (and being killed thereafter). One of the best battles in our 17 years of D&D followed: with drow and bugbears in the back, the PCs were pressed to fight the zombies and the flaming skull for the Black Spider. The drow mage used his suggestion spells to make some characters fight and after a fireball from the skull made the drow shut the door, leaving one unconscious (wererat) wizard in their clutches, the fight was really on, the PCs being cornered. It was real fun and will be remembered in our group for a long time!

Wave Echo Cave! I think the PCs spent about 6 sessions in the Cave. I had to realign the dungeon and even restock it with some Bugbear Zombies, but we always had fun and so built on the central meaning of the Cave in LMoP.

Hamun Kost! The players saved this quest for the end. I decided they are too late and the Red Wizard is already allied to the Goblins of the Red Hand (see above). His zombies held the fighter and the paladin back. The not-a-wererat-anymore wizard cast fireball and killed all the zombies. Kost (using the stats of Rath Modar from HotDQ) answered with a fireball of his own and turned invisible. The PCs were scarred to death and search for the wizard a long time. Kost had already fled using misty step, because he knew the PCs were capable of driving off Venomfang (see above). They will meet again in the battle for Phandalin...

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Yeah, if that was your experience with LMoP, skipping the WotC adventures is probably wise - it's by far the best of the bunch so far (with the caveat that I've not yet seen "Out of the Abyss").

Thanks. I guess if the Phandalin key had been 16 pages instead of 2 pages, if there had been floorplans of the key locations (taverns, above-ground manor, shrine etc) along with stat blocks & short paragraphs on the key NPCs there, it could have been good. As it was, I found running a dynamic conflict with the Redbrands extremely painful, whenever the PCs didn't do exactly what the adventure expected I had zero support.

Ironically Loudwater, the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting starter town, seemed far better
done.

Remove ads