Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Here's the thing...

She-Ra also aims at the nostalgia audience but is also really good at being a kid's show. It's one of my favorites and a fave of my 6 year-old.

Which then begs the question as to why not aim for a TV-7 audience instead of a TV-12 audience?

So, I don't think She-Ra aims at TV-7 either. Not for violence, but for emotional and plot complexity.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And that's fine. But if you want scientifically intelligent fiction, you really picked the wrong show.
It’s not a binary thing. In fact, this show falls exactly into the “fun enough to watch, with some things that bug me enough to mention them” category, like most every show I watch does. Discussing the show is part of the enjoyment for me.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
She-Ra seemed more at teenage girls than small children. I'd have no problem watching Masters of the Universe: Revelation with my four-year-old daughter, but it was obviously aimed at middle-aged men (and women) who grew up with the original; this does raise some questions about the reasoning behind the female-led cast and sidelining of Adam, but I suspect honest inquiry would impossible at this point.

Aside from fridging Adam-- not just sidelining him, but using his death to prompt everyone else's character arcs-- this was the Masters of the Universe I loved, and this was the Masters of the Universe I wanted. It's the version of MOTU that exists in my head, when I'm trying to explain why my life's work is about bringing MOTU's aesthetics and sensibilities back to Old School D&D.

Feel like getting any deeper into why it worked so well for me, which parts of it didn't work so well, and so on... would require both going on at length and getting deep into spoiler territory. We can only really gush about the presentation for so much, and even the naysayers mostly agree the show's pretty.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I binged all 5 and while its a serviceable story it ultimately rang hollow and the execution was quite frankly insulting to the legacy of He-Man and more importantly Adam. While it started okay and the episode 1 set up was fine, the jump after episode 2 quickly lost the momentum. While it was cool having Teela finally promoted to Man-at-Arms and her leading this story arc, , having no male leads (I dont count a robot or a faceless trollan) was I think a terrible creative choice, especially when the new character Andra was relegated to background after episode three - MotU is ultimately a show targeting boys toys, She-Ra is the show to highlight female leads (and I ultimately loved its netflix reboot) the males in this are largely fridged

While the cast is talented and the character cameos are fun (especially episode 5) the voices didnt fit some characters (Merman), Mossman was wasted, Evil Lyns story didnt fit (she isnt Spellweaver), Orko wasnt fun, and having Skeletor as a Joker-ripoff was naff. I'm treating this as alternate reality fan movie as we still have the 2000s reboot as a true successor to the He-Man legacy.

Personally I would have really liked to see more interaction between Adam and Teela and have the story further explore Adams psychology without the He-Man crutch, but we get something that totally dumps on the male leads and replaces them with a story that is trying too hard to be deep and meaningful.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It’s not a binary thing. In fact, this show falls exactly into the “fun enough to watch, with some things that bug me enough to mention them” category, like most every show I watch does. Discussing the show is part of the enjoyment for me.

Sure. And, I'm the sort that discussing the discussion is part of the enjoyment for me. :)

If the show's ostensibly a cooking competition, is its complete lack of dance content a valid point? I guess I can't say you shouldn't be bugged by lack of tango in the Great British Baking Show... but maybe if you are bugged by it, that's less about the show than it is about the viewer?

When a show is produced and set in 21st century America, and the main male character is a sexist pig who should be the star example in human resources videos on sexual harassment, one of the female characters literally punches him in the face for it, and the character doesn't change and it is continued to be played for laughs, I think it valid to be bugged by that. The show could do better.

When it is a cartoon set in a world in which a guy raising his magic sword (no imagery, there, no sir, not at all) turns him into a loincloth wearing barbarian hero with anatomically questionable levels of musculature, it is perhaps not really the show's fault that it bugged you on that point. It isn't like it misled you about what it would contain, did it?

Moreover, would that have improved the show for you if they did it? They had seconds to talk about it, and it was going to destroy the world, but let's take some time to talk about safety? Maybe as a genre-breaking joke that might work, I guess. But that sounds more appropriate for a satire show, like, say Lower Decks, than for this.

Remove ads