Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

I mean, it's a kid's show. I thought it was fun, treading that nice line of embracing all the ridiculousness of the setting with earnest enthusiasm without being campy. For what it was, there were bits of halfway decent characterization. If this sort of stuff happened in a D&D game we'd probably be thrilled with it.

I don't bat an eye at the big twist. Like, did none of y'all nostalgic fans ever watch the Transformers cartoon movie where they killed off literally every original character except Bumblebee and the Dinobots, because that way they could sell new toys?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I mean, it's a kid's show. I thought it was fun, treading that nice line of embracing all the ridiculousness of the setting with earnest enthusiasm without being campy. For what it was, there were bits of halfway decent characterization. If this sort of stuff happened in a D&D game we'd probably be thrilled with it.

I don't bat an eye at the big twist. Like, did none of y'all nostalgic fans ever watch the Transformers cartoon movie where they killed off literally every original character except Bumblebee and the Dinobots, because that way they could sell new toys?
I thought that movie had traumatized a whole generation?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I watched and enjoyed but not a fan of the old show. Did think it was aimed at the nostalgia audience not current teens. It could have done with a few more episode for character development. I would watch another season if one turns up.

Rune

Once A Fool
I watched and enjoyed but not a fan of the old show. Did think it was aimed at the nostalgia audience not current teens. It could have done with a few more episode for character development. I would watch another season if one turns up.
That was only the first half of the season. The second half is finished, but Netflix decided to divide it in half and stagger it’s release.

Challenging moderation
OK, folks, this thread is - ridiculously, given the subject matter - in imminent danger of getting closed because for some reasons it's giving rise to some really bad behavior. The absurd hyperbole, gaslighting, and insults are not acceptable. Let me remind you that you're talking about a cartoon, and if you can't do that civilly and in good faith, don't do it at all; and if you can't refrain voluntarily, we'll help you. My patience is running a little thin. I hope I've made myself clear.
So does that mean pejorative terms like review bombing won't be used in the future? After all it is an insult to those who watched the show and genuinely didn't like it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So does that mean pejorative terms like review bombing won't be used in the future? After all it is an insult to those who watched the show and genuinely didn't like it.
Do not discuss moderation in-thread. If you need a refresher on the rules, there’s a link to them on every page.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It does feel like it was structured to suit such a release schedule.
It absolutely feels like it is set up for the split release. Which means the writers/producers probably knew the plan and accounted for it.

I was really impressed with the show, and I'll definitely catch the second half of this season and any further episodes they make. It's very much my style of D&D campaign: throw in everything, embrace the silliness, and don't be afraid to go really dark on occasion.

The language was a little coarser that. I generally see in my game, but in fairness one of my players is my 7yo so I think it's understandable.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
"Review bombing" isn't a pejorative term. If someone watched the show and didn't like it, their 1 negative review isn't less valid because of the 10,000 people who gave it negative reviews, sight unseen, because half a dozen YouTube channels that receive funding from right-wing think tanks told them to.

Look, I gave the show an 8, not a 10. And that translates into understanding how someone can easily have given it a 6, or even a 4, based on feeling more strongly about the show's problems than I did or having a problem with factors I didn't have a problem with at all. Any single review who tries to claim it's a 1 out of 10 is a single bootlicking troll; any 1,000 reviews who try to claim it's a 1 out of 10 is still, probably, just a single bootlicking troll.

There was some sort of news outlet that broke the news that he was going to kill heman and basically replace him. He sent out his followers to destroy the story/outlet. Turns out it was true
So he tried to stop someone breaking a review embargo?

Also he lied that all the strong men characters would not be eliminated. Not even a secondary character. It’s basically Teelas show. Follow Kevin smiths Twitter. He went after almost everyone that criticized his show
He Man was in every episode so far. He's sacrificed his life to save Eternia, and thrown away heaven to come back and save the Universe again. (and we're only half way through the season) Seems like he's still the hero of the show to me.

Remove ads