Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
He Man was in every episode so far. He's sacrificed his life to save Eternia, and thrown away heaven to come back and save the Universe again. (and we're only half way through the season) Seems like he's still the hero of the show to me.
Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man was possibly the greatest love letter to Peter Parker in comics history because of how keenly Slott made Parker's absence felt in every single issue. It ran for far longer than anyone had expected or planned for, because the audience (mostly) loved it, but when Peter Parker eventually and inevitably returned... it made his return all the more triumphant.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I thought that movie had traumatized a whole generation?

I don't know about 'traumatized'.

I was very upset when I watched Optimus Prime die at the age of 7. In 1986 nobody was allowed to die in a children's show. It was probably the worst thing that had happened to me at that age (yes, I had a very sheltered childhood). In retrospect it was probably a good thing in that it taught me (in a small, silly-in-retrospect way) that life doesn't always work out the way you want.

Life involves tragedy. Art (even of the popular, declasse variety) can help prepare you for that.

Zardnaar

Legend
"Review bombing" isn't a pejorative term. If someone watched the show and didn't like it, their 1 negative review isn't less valid because of the 10,000 people who gave it negative reviews, sight unseen, because half a dozen YouTube channels that receive funding from right-wing think tanks told them to.

Look, I gave the show an 8, not a 10. And that translates into understanding how someone can easily have given it a 6, or even a 4, based on feeling more strongly about the show's problems than I did or having a problem with factors I didn't have a problem with at all. Any single review who tries to claim it's a 1 out of 10 is a single bootlicking troll; any 1,000 reviews who try to claim it's a 1 out of 10 is still, probably, just a single bootlicking troll.

Yeah has to be very very bad to get 1/10 imho.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I don’t know how something is legally or not legally a sequel? I’ve never heard of a legal definition of a sequel.
It is complicated. Universal owns the franchise, but they don't own the Classic series. Universal can make or license new content, as long as it is based on the toys, the comics and the media they actually own. To do a sequel to the classic series, they need to also license from whoever owns the rights to the Filmation series, because they don't own it. The legal mangle that is the franchise also means that there can't be any series in the future that feature both She-Ra and He-Man. Because these were sold off separately.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So he tried to stop someone breaking a review embargo?
It wasnt a review though, it was an opinion peice giving some predictions - those predictions were vehemently criticised by Smith but have now generally been proven accurate. The great irony of course is that if Kevin Smith had ignored them, then its most likely that most people wouldnt even know who they were or what they had said.

The whole thing highlights issues in the relationship between Creatives and Audience and the nature of influence in the Social Media age.

Remove ads