Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I just watched the He-Man episodes and I really enjoyed them. I didn't expect as much death as happened, and I have to say I expected quite a bit more He-Man in a He-Man series than I got. It IS the first half of the season, though, so I suppose more He-Man is coming.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is complicated. Universal owns the franchise, but they don't own the Classic series. Universal can make or license new content, as long as it is based on the toys, the comics and the media they actually own. To do a sequel to the classic series, they need to also license from whoever owns the rights to the Filmation series, because they don't own it. The legal mangle that is the franchise also means that there can't be any series in the future that feature both She-Ra and He-Man. Because these were sold off separately.
That's not really what 'sequel' means though. All a sequel is is something set after the original, which this is. I could write a sequel (I mean I'd probably get sued for copyright infringement, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a sequel).

MarkB

Legend
I just watched the He-Man episodes and I really enjoyed them. I didn't expect as much death as happened, and I have to say I expected quite a bit more He-Man in a He-Man series than I got. It IS the first half of the season, though, so I suppose more He-Man is coming.
Well, it's a Masters of the Universe series. He-Man doesn't make the title in this one.

I overall liked it, despite really disliking Teela's character. I'm never a fan of the "I'm entitled to your secrets" trope (see also Amber in Invincible), and the first thing she does when she meets him in the afterlife (after he died saving the world) is continue berating him. Evil Lyn was awesome though, they even made me like freakin Orko!

Hamil seemed phoning it in as Skeletor though. He was way too similar to Joker, particularly the Skeletor/Evil Lyn dynamic. Would have loved some more Beast Man to see why he was so loyal to Lyn. Maybe he's the Platonic form of the loyal goon?

If Smith really killed Adam the second time he's a moron. There's a lot to explore with learning who Adam is without He-Man, including his desire to appear in his true form rather than the empowered form, etc. People are right to feel lied to though, and a He-Man show with (effectively) no He-Man feels calculated to "own the right" in a cheap move, disregarding what fans of the original may want.

It was fun, I like a lot of it. It ISNT really a sequel it is a reimagining (by changing things like orko it changes the old stories) However I had fun.

I would have preferred if they had advertised it as it was "a kevin smith reimagining"

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
That's not really what 'sequel' means though. All a sequel is is something set after the original, which this is. I could write a sequel (I mean I'd probably get sued for copyright infringement, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a sequel).
You and I could do a fanfic or a fan comic, or even a fan-vid sequel and get away with it by virtue of being low profile individuals. But these are big corporations.

Since Universal isn't the owner of the classic series, they can't legally make a derivative work (all sequels are derivative works) of it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You and I could do a fanfic or a fan comic, or even a fan-vid sequel and get away with it by virtue of being low profile individuals. But these are big corporations.

Since Universal isn't the owner of the classic series, they can't legally make a derivative work (all sequels are derivative works) of it.
I think we're talking about two entirely different things. Never mind. :)

Mallus

Legend
My thoughts?

Kevin Smith saved his most emotionally mature writing for a He-Man sequel because of course he did.

Was not prepared for how poignant this joint was. At all.

Still processing the ending. Not happy about Evil-Lyn backsliding after her breakthrough with Orko. But she can't stay evil, right? Not after Skeletor explicitly stating she wasn't in on his plan.

Last edited:

Remove ads