Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

Zardnaar

Legend
What the opposite of review bombing though?

Critic rating of 94% puts it in a tier where there are things like Empire Strikes Back, Breaking Bad, The Wire or Sopranos.

Hell it might even be higher than that yet no one's claiming this is the greatest thing ever.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter

Critic rating of 94% puts it in a tier where there are things like Empire Strikes Back, Breaking Bad, The Wire or Sopranos.

Hell it might even be higher than that yet no one's claiming this is the greatest thing ever.

94% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't mean it's a 9.4 out of 10. It means that if you categorize professional critic reviews into "it's good" or "it's not good", 94% of them said "it's good". Me sitting here, saying it's a 7 or 8 out of 10, saying it's overall pretty good but has some really bad parts? Makes me part of the twenty-something percent of "fans" saying "it's good".

I mean, I'm pretty sure the opposite of "review bombing" would just be review bombing, but I've never heard of it. Even at the height of people saying anyone who liked Alita: Battle Angel more than Captain Marvel was a patronizing fedora-wearing misogynist... I never heard of a campaign by said people to go out and make Alita look better by giving it a bunch of fake positive reviews.

Zardnaar

Legend
94% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't mean it's a 9.4 out of 10. It means that if you categorize professional critic reviews into "it's good" or "it's not good", 94% of them said "it's good". Me sitting here, saying it's a 7 or 8 out of 10, saying it's overall pretty good but has some really bad parts? Makes me part of the twenty-something percent of "fans" saying "it's good".

I mean, I'm pretty sure the opposite of "review bombing" would just be review bombing, but I've never heard of it. Even at the height of people saying anyone who liked Alita: Battle Angel more than Captain Marvel was a patronizing fedora-wearing misogynist... I never heard of a campaign by said people to go out and make Alita look better by giving it a bunch of fake positive reviews.

I meant critics rate some things really high. They're just as bad as the ones review bombing.

For me to rate something under 50% means it has to be really bad. I'm a hard ass for over 90% as well and 95% is about as high as I go.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

apparently there are game examples eg Assasins Creed Unity had received mixed reviews due to technical problems on launch. But When it was released free on steam fans flooded in with a gratitude bomb

Zardnaar

Legend
apparently there are game examples eg Assasins Creed Unity had received mixed reviews due to technical problems on launch. But When it was released free on steam fans flooded in with a gratitude bomb

AC:Unity got patched as well.

Beautiful looking game and yeah it's fun. I didn't play it on release.

It's gone to crap game to underated part of the franchise. Opinions definitely changing on it.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Basically, when you ignore-- not "remove"-- the political aspects of these sorts of things, I think what we're seeing here is the encroachment of "videogames as identity" group psychology into more passive media spaces. It is mind-bogglingly stupid and toxic, regardless of which side of it a person is on, and I really wish I had a solution for it other than taking a hammer to every screen I own and becoming Simple.

Zardnaar

Legend
Basically, when you ignore-- not "remove"-- the political aspects of these sorts of things, I think what we're seeing here is the encroachment of "videogames as identity" group psychology into more passive media spaces. It is mind-bogglingly stupid and toxic, regardless of which side of it a person is on, and I really wish I had a solution for it other than taking a hammer to every screen I own and becoming Simple.

Stop paying attention to social media. I knew Captain Marvel got review bombed but it wasn't the worst MCU movie and was decent enough. Wasn't as good as the positive reviews either but I'm not an MCU junkie.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Oh, I hated it. Might not be the worst MCU film-- I'm actually pretty sure it is-- but it's the perfect example of how prequels usually aren't just worse than the movies they're based on, they also usually make those movies retroactively worse. Chuds being chuds, of course, just allowed the people who made the movie to hide its real flaws behind the politically-motivated propaganda offensive.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh, I hated it. Might not be the worst MCU film-- I'm actually pretty sure it is-- but it's the perfect example of how prequels usually aren't just worse than the movies they're based on, they also usually make those movies retroactively worse. Chuds being chuds, of course, just allowed the people who made the movie to hide its real flaws behind the politically-motivated propaganda offensive.

They may have pushed her to hard. Still liked the movie over say Ironman 2/3 and some of the Thor movies, Age of Ultron.

Mallus

Legend
Watching the entire series or movie (or playing the entire game), thinking it over, and then giving your honest opinion.

I think it’s a mistake to view review bombing as criticism. The practice has more in common with information warfare (establish control of the narrative) or boycotting (pressure a company to do/not do something).

Last edited:

Remove ads