Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I would not doubt that all the he-man action figures used the same mold whenever possible.

Its well known that the Masters of the Universe toys were all constructed from an interchangable set of body peices - torso, trunks, arms and legs and armour which were given different paint jobs and heads. For instance Stinkor is built with Mermans head, Mekaneks Armour and Skeletors arms and legs.
Iirc theres about 8 official torso moulds - the He-man torso is most used (He-Man, Skeletor, Man-at-Arms, Merman and Hordak) even the Beastman mould is just the He-Man mould with more hair. Theres also the Teela mould (shared by Teela and Evil-Lyn), the Fisto torso (armoured torso) and the Buzz-Off torso (Buzz-off and Whiplash)
They also used peices from other older lines for weapons, vehicles and beasts eg marketing VP of Mattel Paul Cleveland once told the story that when they were designing an animal companion for He-Man they ran out of budget and were told to repurpose the Tiger from the Big Jim toy line. However Big Jim was built on a much bigger scale than MoTU, so the Tiger was huge compared to He-Man. The artist didnt like it so painted it green. Cleveland insisted they use it and even if it was as big as a horse they could go put a f**ing saddle on it. Thus Battle Cat was born as a giant green Tiger with a saddle

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I've watched the first two episodes of the second part. On the bright side, Skeletor is managing some actual characterisation rather than just channeling the Joker.

What they did with Adam was interesting, but didn't feel too original. Strong shades of a certain couple of Marvel characters.

Rune

Once A Fool
Having just finished the series, I must say…I wasn’t expecting to see so much of Dogma’s DNA in it. Given the nihilistic villain attempting to destroy the universe, and all.

I wonder if we’ll get a new season now that Skeletor has been taken over by Mother Board.

Remove ads