D&D (2024) Thoughts on the revised Ardling?

So, no Rakshasa or sphinxes or fiends in your game then? That's fine too. The point is that it's all silly goofy fun at the end of the day. It's fine if you're using a setting that uses the glued-on head ridges design instead of full mask design, but it's all on the same level of fiction.
Yep, it also applies to creatures like centaurs and fairies.

The main difference is that aardlings are looking to be a PHB species. And it's a lot harder to restrict PHB species than supplement material.

So you just want it removed so you don't have to say No quite as loudly? :/
Mainly because I believe that the PHB should be the basic and core 'boring stuff' from traditional DnD. Stuff which most settings will have. Supplements would then add on things which are much more setting exclusive and in significantly less worlds.

Though I fully accept that view is outdated at this point, and the 'eurocentric generic fantasy' crowd are probably a tiny minority of DnD players these days.

Incenjucar

Legend
Mainly because I believe that the PHB should be the basic and core 'boring stuff' from traditional DnD. Stuff which most settings will have. Supplements would then add on things which are much more setting exclusive and in significantly less worlds.

Though I fully accept that view is outdated at this point, and the 'eurocentric generic fantasy' crowd are probably a tiny minority of DnD players these days.
I feel that it's important to include a few less-vanilla species in the main book to assert that D&D isn't just a LotR wannabe game stuck in the 70s. Fantasy enthusiasts have a lot more to choose from these days, and the notion of fantasy is much "louder" than it used to be. I'd say we should include more non-Western stuff but that carries risk.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
WotC is trying to work within the lore of the game to build on the history of what has come before, not just give a generic furry option.
I’m not convinced that’s the case. I suspect they’re trying to do both, which will likely not be satisfying to the people who actually want a furry race.

Charlaquin

A straight up natural multi-species furry species would need a lot more new lore to explain how two duck people can make a cat baby.
I don’t think that holds up in the game where a centaur and an insect-person can make a centaur baby with no explanation. For groups where it’s an issue, they can just say your character’s parents have to be the same type of animal as your character, or just say some variation of “a wizard did it.”

Incenjucar

Legend
I don’t think that holds up in the game where a centaur and an insect-person can make a centaur baby with no explanation. For groups where it’s an issue, they can just say your character’s parents have to be the same type of animal as your character, or just say some variation of “a wizard did it.”
Those are different species, though, and this is a single species. Divine power seems less absurd than arcane power when it comes to explaining the origin of a people whose forms carry such variation without being more like mongrelfolk.

Charlaquin

Those are different species, though, and this is a single species. Divine power seems less absurd than arcane power when it comes to explaining the origin of a people whose forms carry such variation without being more like mongrelfolk.
Why? Both are equally magic.

Remove ads