thread on WotC D&D pricing strategies

coyote6

Adventurer
I have to agree with his comments re: S&F and such. Even comparing MotW to S&F, I can see the improvement in quality.

OTOH, I'm not too sure I want to cough up another 125-150 bucks for 'em. But then, I've been unemployed too long. :-/

BluWolf

Explorer
While I largely agree with most things Ryan has said in the past I think he may have a somewhat skewed concept of value for our hobbies products.

Holy Bovine

First Post
That was great! I skipped over the whole 'I buy games that I'll never use so they are overpriced' stuff. Ryan's responses (especially his last one on page four) to this Chris Dicley guy are classic stuff.

Great read Eric, thanks!

Purple

First Post
Thanks, Eric, for pointing this out. Great read. My favorite comment was on the first page:

AFAIK, Hasboro's involvement with WotC is something along the lines of:

Hasbro: Hey, WotC...are you still making money with those RPG whatchamacalits?
WotC: Yep.
Hasbro: Okay, fine, whatever. See you next quarter.

:D

-P

CrazyMage

4th Level Lawful Good Cleric
Very interesting and informative. That was good stuff, Purple. And Ryan's a model of patient civility and restraint.

As far as I am concerned, RPGs are the best entertainment value out there. Not to start another war over a SKR rant, but his rant on "Why RPGs are not too expensive" is right on, especially his last point--it's a luxury item.

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/rpgsaretooexpensive.html

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
wow.
I'm kinda surprised that the posters there almost completely ignored Ryan Dancey.

the thread just blundered on, with maybe one person responding to his long, explanative posts.

I think his explanation was MUCH better and convincing than the representative that was on the old boards.

One comment:
I would change the focus of the builder books too. Instead of being aimed squarely at players, I would enhance the amount of content directed at DMs.
umm.. what is he THINKING? LOL
i really don't hope that WotC believes that they targeted the splatbooks to the players of 3E.

Do they?

Because when i look thru the books, I see the VAST majority are really more of use to the DM, and targeted to the DM, than to the players.
The PrC's especially.

Remove ads