D&D General Throwback Thursday Fun: First D&D Death

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just for fun this Throwback Thursday: the first D&D character you had die during play, how did it happen?

It was a long time ago, back in the 1e days, when characters died frequently and early in their careers, and not in terribly dramatic fashions - basically unmemorable stuff.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Dweeny the Dwarf devoured outside Castle Mistamere by a Carrion Crawler. Done-in by a failed saving throw and cowardly companions who didn't want to take the risk to save me.

I was magically revived by a mysterious source because I was destined for greatness (ok, ok the DM hand-waved my death because we were all beginners and I was ten. It was at the beginning of the adventure, so we just started over like it never happened.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In 1977, was 10 and it was my first ever AD&D game. It was being run by a kid who would’ve made a great hobbit. We were in the library of East Middle School in Aurora, CO.

My human 2hd sword-wielding fighter was the last surviving character along with a Magic User. He was down to his last spell- Magic Missile.

We entered a cavernous room, waist deep with mist. Halfway across, a purple worm reared up between us and the door we were trying to reach. It was too far for us retreat, so we stood our ground.

The early stages of the battle were almost comical. After casting his Magic Missile, the wizard resorted to whacking the worm with his staff, while my fighter hit once before my dice went ice cold. I was missing more than my partymate.

Then, just as my luck started to change, the worm engulfed the magic-user whole, leaving me to fight alone. A few more rounds, and I had whittled it down pretty well, but I was down to 4hp.

The next round- simultanous initiative. The other players LSL oooooooohed in anticipation. He hit, I missed, end of game, and my fellow players cried in anguish like sports fans watching their favorite team come up just short on a rally.

I was hooked!

Remove ads