...Throwing Daggers...

Ungruush

First Post
The SRD states that daggers can be piercing or slashing, and a character has to determine which type to use on any given attack.

My question is this:
"What if I throw the thing? Do i choose what kind of damage to deal?"

I cant seem to find an answer one way of the other, and though i don't see it affecting game balance at all, i was just curious what ye wise sages might say, and if you have any house rules of you own...

Thanks

kolvar

First Post
I think, it should be piercing, because you try to hit with the tip of the blade. Otherwise bludgeoning could be done by throwing in a way, that the hilt hits.

ardentmoth

Explorer
*agrees with Kolvar*

though i would go a little further even. If someone is -really good- at throwing them, they could intentionally hit the target in such a way that it slices, too. dunno why they would, but don't see any harm in allowing it either.

javcs

First Post
Ungruush said:
The SRD states that daggers can be piercing or slashing, and a character has to determine which type to use on any given attack.

My question is this:
"What if I throw the thing? Do i choose what kind of damage to deal?"

I cant seem to find an answer one way of the other, and though i don't see it affecting game balance at all, i was just curious what ye wise sages might say, and if you have any house rules of you own...

Thanks
Are you attacking with the dagger when you throw it? Yes.
Is an attack an attack? Yes.
Therefore, by the RAW, when you throw a dagger, you can have it deal slashing or piercing damage, your choice, and you have to pick one.
There is no RAW reason explicitly or implicitly contradicting the text of the dagger's description.

Edit: As for Kolvar's contention, no, that doesn't fly by the RAW, since a dagger does only piercing or slashing damage. Not bludgeoning damage.
Weapons that can be thrown or used in melee have no difference in how they deal damage unless explicitly stated, or by some magical property endowed upon the weapon.

moritheil

First Post
javcs said:
Edit: As for Kolvar's contention, no, that doesn't fly by the RAW, since a dagger does only piercing or slashing damage. Not bludgeoning damage.
Weapons that can be thrown or used in melee have no difference in how they deal damage unless explicitly stated, or by some magical property endowed upon the weapon.

I believe that it's doable RAW, but only as an improvised weapon. You can always improvise striking with other surfaces of a weapon.

Remove ads