• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiefling and half-orc should not be in the PHB

avin

First Post
I think there are more important uses of page space then PC race descriptions. Things like a system for creating or customizing your own spells or more feats/powers/ whatever they call the class customization mechanic in 5e.

I disagree. Custom powers are a open door to unbalance and a headache for DMs. That space would be better spent with more races. This comes from someone used to Gurps psionics/magic and Mage (storyteller).

But if 5E-Next is the edition to unite all the editions, then why omit Dragonborn & Tieflings?

Wotc shouldn't and probably won't.

Humanoids with large horns and tails? There ya go:

3e tiefling by Tony DiTerlizzi

DiTerlizzi knows stuff... Tieflings MUST go back to this.

avin

First Post
Er... That *is* pretty much the same tiefling as the 4e version, just done by DiTerlizzi, upswept goat horns and tail included.

It doesn't look the same to me. Not at all. Different horns, starting on forehead, large tail... etc.

tiefling-a.png

S

Sunseeker

No one at my table has ever played the moody, outcast type that they are usually described in the books as. I cant honestly say why.

Because playing a moody, emo, goth-kid who just wants to be loved but is really hated for the evil power deep within him....just isn't fun.

If Tieflings are clearly not the same race, maybe you can explain it to us. As for "silly", I think that is in the eye of the beholder. And what is wrong with "Heavy Metal" albums, but now we call them CDs.

Tiefling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Your own Wikipedia quote demonstrates that 2-3e Tieflings are one thing, and 4e tieflings another.

2. I'm not calling the race silly, I'm calling the name Tiefling silly. The "ling" ending is diminutive in nature, like halfling or dragonling. It doesn't send the "badass" quality they were looking for.

3. I didn't say anything was wrong with Heavy Metal albums, now did I? Do they or do they not look like something from one?

4. When I attempted to run 4e, I called them Turathi, after the city. I've even heard a few other EnWorlders use the term.

kiltedyaksman

Banned
Banned
In terms of the original post, I would like to see half-orcs. However, if I could trade the half-orc to ensure the tiefling would not appear - I would do so.

Klaus

First Post
It doesn't look the same to me. Not at all. Different horns, starting on forehead, large tail... etc.

tiefling-a.png
Tiefling females have horns of varying shape, and starting at various heights on the forehead. Plus, y'know, artistic styles.

1673100-tisha_swornheart_large.jpg

tiefling_fey_warlock.jpg

S

Sunseeker

Tiefling females have horns of varying shape, and starting at various heights on the forehead. Plus, y'know, artistic styles.
Exactly, the style may have changed to a race with more meat to it's own design than the traditional "it's a human that looks like a succubus", I think this has been for the benefit of the whole race.

Mattachine

Adventurer
Actually, the descriptions of tieflings in earlier editions specifically stated a widely varying appearance--perhaps just red skin, a sulfurous smell, or demonic eyes--able to pass for human in many cases. And some tieflings would look like outright fiends.

Despite the 4e version, tieflings in my games are not connected to some old empire, and can have the same variation in appearance as in earlier editions.

S

Sunseeker

Actually, the descriptions of tieflings in earlier editions specifically stated a widely varying appearance--perhaps just red skin, a sulfurous smell, or demonic eyes--able to pass for human in many cases. And some tieflings would look like outright fiends.

Despite the 4e version, tieflings in my games are not connected to some old empire, and can have the same variation in appearance as in earlier editions.

I know the Forgotten Realms book gave players a lot of variety in how their tieflings could look, and aasamir had a similar selection.

But hey, that's the glory of your games, players can look however they want without having to be explicitly THOSE tieflings. I am totally down with customization.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads