D&D 5E Tiefling preview!

gyor

Legend
Yes! They'd keep the racial +2 to Charisma, but gain +1Strength or Dex.

And switch out Hellish Resistance to for Death Resistance giving them Necrotic Resistance and Vampiric Legacy instead of Infernal Legacy. Swap out Hellish Rebuke for a more Vampiric Spell.

Another one along this theme is the 4e Bladelings, who were created from mortal humans by Bane, infusing them with his essence. I'm swop out Hellish Resistance for Rust Resistance which would grant acid resistance, and Infernal Legaxy for Blade Legacy which would swap out Hellish Rebuke for some kind of blade spray AoE attack spell. And change the subrace buff to +1 Dex.

Klaus

First Post
Yes! They'd keep the racial +2 to Charisma, but gain +1Strength or Dex.

And switch out Hellish Resistance to for Death Resistance giving them Necrotic Resistance and Vampiric Legacy instead of Infernal Legacy. Swap out Hellish Rebuke for a more Vampiric Spell.

Another one along this theme is the 4e Bladelings, who were created from mortal humans by Bane, infusing them with his essence. I'm swop out Hellish Resistance for Rust Resistance which would grant acid resistance, and Infernal Legaxy for Blade Legacy which would swap out Hellish Rebuke for some kind of blade spray AoE attack spell. And change the subrace buff to +1 Dex.

Another cool idea!

Lalato

Adventurer
The Asmodeian subrace has been chosen for the PHB. What other subraces can you think of to fit in the tiefling umbrella?

More importantly, what do these beings find so intriguing/exotic/powerful about getting it on with humans?

gyor

Legend
The Asmodeian subrace has been chosen for the PHB. What other subraces can you think of to fit in the tiefling umbrella?

More importantly, what do these beings find so intriguing/exotic/powerful about getting it on with humans?

Well I provided to pact subraces above. Although I'll noticed that one will have to change the Red Witch's lore for FR, perhaps an aspect of Shar or Mask.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I'm confused. Are you saying you like the style of art more in these? Because that image of the tiefling flirting with a guard to steal his keys with her tail is a 4E-style tiefling, just like the one in the 5E PHB is. It appeared in the tiefling splatbook.

Since tieflings are basically planetouched humans, Dahlia's son is basically just a planetouched half-elf.

I prefer the artstyle used in previous incarnations, I dont care if it was a pathfinder tiefling or 4e, or even 2e. I am talking about the actual art, not the design of the character.

I dont remember them looking super purple in any previous edition and I dont like the look of this particular piece of art.

The Black Ranger

First Post
Why couldn't they just make the tiefling, but have the 4th edition tiefling as just one of many types? Why does the "made the pact" race of tieflings have to be the default?

I don't like the shoe horned approach.

PS: If they had gone with the 2nd edition approach to tieflings, that would have left players with an almost endless supply of backgrounds and stories for their tiefling characters.

Klaus

First Post
Why couldn't they just make the tiefling, but have the 4th edition tiefling as just one of many types? Why does the "made the pact" race of tieflings have to be the default?

I don't like the shoe horned approach.

PS: If they had gone with the 2nd edition approach to tieflings, that would have left players with an almost endless supply of backgrounds and stories for their tiefling characters.

Not shoehorned at all. From the start, their guideline was "include every race that was in a PHB". The Asmodeus-based tieflings were in the 4e PHB 1.

Lalato

Adventurer
A better question to ask is... How will you incorporate different tiefling stories and backgrounds in your campaign?

Will devils and other baddies be making pacts or having teh hot sex with the muggles? Will there be crazy magical experiments?

The Black Ranger

First Post
Not shoehorned at all. From the start, their guideline was "include every race that was in a PHB". The Asmodeus-based tieflings were in the 4e PHB 1.

That is exactly the meaning of shoe horned.

They are forcing the default "4th edition" tieflings instead of the older edition ones that would allow for endless amounts of fluff.

Remove ads