• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tiefling preview!

barasawa

Explorer
Interesting

The last one did: it had gnome, half-elf, half-orc, kender, warforged, dragonborn, tiefling, and drow.

Then somehow I must have missed that one. Too bad, I really wanted to see the non-tolkien stuff.
Well, too late now, and besides, stuff that's only in the last test usually doesn't get as much quality feedback beyond initial impression.

I'm not worried about it though, I intend to alter them in my campaigns anyway. Fluff like appearances is easy to change. And if I decide I don't like their innate spells, I'll just alter them to something of equivalent level that's more appropriate.
I was thinking of changing them to the demon tribes, so changing the spells to be based on which tribe/clan/family they are from would make sense. I don't think that would be a replacement for subraces, which could be major tribes/factions/lineages, but it would make things a little more flexible for the GM and players.
Of course, I have no intention of keeping the official description, other than the eyes. Hair and skin highly variable, and as to hair, I don't care what color people pick, as long as it's not plaid. I intend to give them the additional 'feature' of no shadow at any time. (Sure, there might be some magics that might be affected, but it shouldn't throw things out of wack overall.)

Sorry, I got distracted by a tangent. I suspect a LOT of the playtesters didn't get that packet with the additional races, my group sure didn't. To those that did, great for you, you lucky gnolls you. :p

Last edited:

Kai Lord

Hero
I'm not familiar with any 4E races.

So how did tieflings in that edition perpetuate their race? Procreating with each other? Or does any tiefling who mates with a human spawn a full-blooded tiefling?

For some reason I'm getting a cool Pan's Labyrinth vibe from these guys and I kinda like it.

bogmad

First Post
I'm not familiar with any 4E races.

So how did tieflings in that edition perpetuate their race? Procreating with each other? Or does any tiefling who mates with a human spawn a full-blooded tiefling?

For some reason I'm getting a cool Pan's Labyrinth vibe from these guys and I kinda like it.

I believe they bred true with each other, and any human/tiefling coupling ends with a full tiefling.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I like the story excerpt, I think it does well to put the player in the mind of a Tiefling. I have no particular issue with the origin story. I guess the Tieflings were Demonic rather than Infernal before?

2e/3e tieflings were descended from any fiend. Demon, devil, yugoloth, etc. 4e was devil only.

Osgood

Hero
I may be in the minority, but I loved the 4E interpretation of the tiefling, so I am very pleased to see it here. I'm sure some sort of half-demon will appear in a future book.

Essenti

Explorer
Yet 0% of the world using this measurement have even been to the moon.... :D
Practically 0% of the world has actually been to the moon, but those who have, used metric measurements to get there... :cool:

Back on topic:
I am also disappointed that there doesn't appear to be a subrace for the two different types of Tiefling. The Tiefling in particular had great potential to show off the flexibility of 5e by including both variations as subraces. So far, this does appear to be a missed opportunity. Oh well.

Remove ads