Time Limit in Combat Rounds: Yes, or No?

Berandor

lunatic
So, we've all but finished our Ravenloft campaign, and it seems as if I'll be DMing again next (the Dungeon Path, if you're interested, as that is exactly what the other players aren't in AU). I am considering imposing a time limit during combat rounds, e.g. 1 minute (or 3) to state one's actions (the actual rolling et al wouldn't count against that limit).
I am, however, unsure of the implications of such a limit. I don't want to force my players to make erroneous actions during combat. On the other hand, when players think too long about their actions, I think the combat grinds to a screeching halt, and it's difficult to keep an atmosphere of danger and stress alive through such a meditation.

So I wondering about your take on this? Do you limit the available time for your players? Do you think such a limit is unnecessary? What would be a good time limit to impose? (is 30 seconds too short, are 2 minutes too long?)

Zappo

Explorer
I am thinking about doing this. It's a bit drastic, but sometimes they waste way too much time thinking what to do.

And, apart from the time wasting, it just irks me that combat can "freeze" for ten minutes to pull out an ultra-complex tactic in what amounts to a few in-game seconds.

In my experience, three, four minutes top are very reasonable to decide what to do. Since most parties have at least four characters, a minute per person is enough. It will force people to think about what they will do when their turn comes, rather than chatting or wasting time.

Michael Tree

First Post
Your players take more than three minutes to decide what to do? That would annoy me to no end. My advice is to impose a "reasonable amount of time" limit. Don't punch a clock to make sure it's less than 1 minute, but tell the players that you don't want them to take much time deciding what to do. If they're taking too much time, start slowly counting down from 5, and if they don't make up their mind before '0', they skip their turn. The character couldn't figure out what to do, and just stands there overwhelmed.

Who cares if their characters make "erroneous action" during combat. The characters are under much bigger time constraints than the players, and it's perfectly natural that they'll make mistakes.

Now, there is a minor exception to this: If you need to look up the rules for how to do something. That's unavoidable, unless it's come up many times for the same type of action.

Last edited:

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I think a 3 minute time limit should be sufficient during normal combat. Obviously there will be some exceptions when someone is trying something new or needs to ask DM opinion on whether or not he/she'll allow something. But really 3 minutes should be enough time.

Gizzard

First Post
I don't have a formal time limit, but I'll give players about a minute to make their decision and if they haven't gotten anything in that time I just say "I am going to start the timer now."

I never had anyone time out; I don't think anyone has ever asked how long the timer is. ;-) They just take that reminder in the spirit it is intended: "Take your turn before we all fall asleep, doofus."

OTOH, I have had players throw this back at me when I am thinking about monster tactics on the spot, so be prepared for that. Rationally they understand that the DM has 12 critters to run, but there is that residual grouchiness left over from having their turn cut "short". If your group is thin-skinned or if one particular player is going to bear the brunt of the timer you may want to let the players vote for the timer (or in some other way diffuse the situation.)

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Our group uses an minute-glass (60 seconds, snagged from a Boggle game) to discuss/clarify the situation at the beginning of a round. Once the round starts, each person has about 5 seconds to state their actions once it's their turn. No one is allowed to "correct" anybody during this time (e.g., "Don't cast fireball... I'm standing right there.") unless they want it counted as part of their action.

Berandor

lunatic
I have a one-minute and a three-minute glass. What I don't want to do is just asking them to hurry; some of the players simply have the tendency to start looking for a suitable spell (and reading up all the rules of spells they cast 20 times over) when it's their turn. I don't want to seem partial, so I'd rather use a minute glass to measure time - it's impartial.
Perhaps 3 minutes would be fine, with the extra rule of putting the glass on its side for some kind of discussions (rules questions, or misunderstandings)?

Zappo

Explorer
The main reason for which I'd enforce this is because many of my players tend to start thinking what to do only when their turn comes. Besides, nothing like seeing the sand flow down to add a healthy dose of tension. :D

Potential problem: one player takes 30 seconds to make his decision, roll and damage. You now have a 30 seconds glass, and it will take you 30 seconds to reset it to one minute...

StalkingBlue

First Post
Berandor said:
I have a one-minute and a three-minute glass. What I don't want to do is just asking them to hurry; some of the players simply have the tendency to start looking for a suitable spell (and reading up all the rules of spells they cast 20 times over) when it's their turn. I don't want to seem partial, so I'd rather use a minute glass to measure time - it's impartial.
Perhaps 3 minutes would be fine, with the extra rule of putting the glass on its side for some kind of discussions (rules questions, or misunderstandings)?

Hm. Why don't you tell whoever is keeping track of initiative in your game to also call out the next two PCs whose turns are coming up after the current one - and then don't allow reading of spell descriptions once a caster's turn comes up because they should have got their prep reading done while you were resolving the previous player's action?

I don't impose fixed time limits because sometimes time for clarification is needed, or I might want to allow a few moments for quick discussion among players about adjusting tactics etc, so I prefer to handle time flexibly. Also of course spellcasters need more time for consideration than warrior types. which makes an hourglass method appear sorta unfair IMO.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases