• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Timing of Flurry of Blows

Deverash

First Post
So, please tell me if I'm thinking of this completely wrong. The trigger on the Monk's Flurry of Blows(a free action), is "You hit a target." Since it's a free action, doesn't that mean you'd resolve the flurry of blows before actually resolving the rest of the hit?

A concrete example: You hit a target with Crane's Wing, which pushes the target 1 square on a hit. Can you use your flurry of blows on him, assuming you push him?

Mort_Q

First Post
It's a free action... you could flurry before the push, no!?

Don't have my books handy.

[edit]
This is the second time the timing of free actions has come up today (that I noticed). A few searches has turned up nothing definitive... just the same contrary opinions. Hmmm. [/edit]

Last edited:

Squire James

First Post
I'd say it's reasonable to allow Flurry of Blows damage in this case. The trigger is "target is hit" rather than "target is damaged", and in most of my games damage is not determined until I'm really sure it's a hit (just in case someone whips out a Shield spell or something).

DracoSuave

First Post
I'd say it's reasonable to allow Flurry of Blows damage in this case. The trigger is "target is hit" rather than "target is damaged", and in most of my games damage is not determined until I'm really sure it's a hit (just in case someone whips out a Shield spell or something).

Perfectly legitimate.

DonAdam

Explorer
I got a very good response from WOTC customer service on this question.

My first question:

When exactly does the Monk's Flurry of Blows take place? It reads:
"Trigger: You hit with an attack during your turn."

My understanding is that free actions can even interrupt other actions, so I'm wondering when to resolve the Flurry damage and sliding (for Centered Flurry).

From most to least restrictive, I could read it as:

A) After an entire attack is resolved, including damage)?
B) After I roll ALL attacks from a single power but before damage?
C) After I roll ANY attack but before damage?
or D) At any point during my turn in which I have hit someone?

*snip*specific questions since they're below*/snip*

Thanks for your patience and consideration.

His response:

Firstly, the answer is generally:

B) After I roll ALL attacks from a single power but before damage?

However, it's always up to your Dungeon Master to adjudicate how free actions work. The answers below are some general guidelines, but your DM may choose to rule differently in any of these situations.

1) I hit an enemy with Crane's Wings, which pushes 1. I know I can choose to push 0, but can I Flurry first and then deal damage and push? (as in option B, C, or D above)

Yes you can. The hit has happened, so you can use it then.

2) I hit an enemy with Crane's Wings. Can I push, shift next to them with a move action, and then Flurry? (as in option D above)

No. Free actions on your turn that don't specify otherwise act more or less like reactions. You can use the Flurry after you hit but before damage, and your Dungeon Master may allow you to use it after you've hit and done the damage, but you can't take another action between the hit and the flurry.

3) I use the 5th level Daily power One Hundred Leaves, which is a Close Blast 3 that pushes 2. Is it possible to roll to hit a valid target, then before rolling against other targets, using Centered Flurry of Blows to move another adjacent enemy into the Blast area so that it would also be targeted? (as in C or D but not B)

Unfortunately no to this as well. The targets are determined when the power is originally used. Sliding someone into the burst after the fact would not make a target out of them.

4) I use One Hundred Leaves. Can I use Centered Flurry to slide a MISSED target out of the Blast area before dealing the Miss damage? If so, are they still affected by damage?

Yes, they are still affected by the miss damage. The centered flurry affect doesn't change what happens with the rest of the attack, the targeting or the damage.

I know it's been customary to take CS with a grain of salt, but Josh (the CS rep) was clearly on his game on this one.

mysticknight232

First Post
I'd like to add that as a Free Action, you could use your Flurry of Blows power on a creature clear across the BF as well if you wanted. Let's say your attack kills your target. You could then take your move action and use your Flurry of Blows power against a target as far away as you can move or reach using a spear w/ the Monk "spear" feat.

This actually came up for me this past saturday where a minion moved up next to me. on my turn, i hit and killed the minion and moved my speed (6 squares) and used my Flurry of Blows on another minion and killed him as well. this can be a pretty versatile power.

keterys

First Post
I'd like to add that as a Free Action, you could use your Flurry of Blows power on a creature clear across the BF as well if you wanted. Let's say your attack kills your target. You could then take your move action and use your Flurry of Blows power against a target as far away as you can move or reach using a spear w/ the Monk "spear" feat.

This actually came up for me this past saturday where a minion moved up next to me. on my turn, i hit and killed the minion and moved my speed (6 squares) and used my Flurry of Blows on another minion and killed him as well. this can be a pretty versatile power.

That doesn't work, at all. You need to take the flurry action when you 'trigger' it - you can't trigger it, go "not yet", do some other stuff, then go "now's good" - the time has passed. See the CS response above your post for further clarification :)

Remove ads