• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tips : First Adventure for Newbies Campaign?

Silver Moon

Adventurer
For total newbies I'd suggest strong help from the DM with the character generation - keeping it simple and only giving them only what they need to start out while leaving some skills, feats and weapon slots still open for them to pick when they better understand the game system.

For the game itself I would suggest keeping it plotted rather than scripted, new players often take "out of the box" approaches towards problem solving and solutions, which the DM should encourage as much as possible, while still providing enough direction to keep the overall plot on track.

And I fully agree with Piratecat's suggestion - colorful NPC's are a must. At a minimum you should toss in a very evil bad guy, a very nice good guy, one character whose personality is totally in between and finally another for comic relief.

Whisper72

Explorer
Another idea is to have an NPC join the party at some time during the explorations only to try to double cross them. It is also an important lesson not to be too trusting towards complete strangers...

Maybe you can work in the 'Gorgoldand's Gauntlet' aventure (freely downloadable) as part of the cave system to get things going.

Remove ads