D&D 5E Tired of doing WotC's job

Well, it has been a while since I've posted on Enworld. After 18 months of 5E, I think I am soon to be done with it.
Cool. Can I have your stuff? :p

Some questions arose:
is it magical? can you detect it with*detect magic*? if so, why can't you use dispel magic? is the target aware they are cursed? and so on.
To answer those questions: No. No. Because the only thing dispel magic does is stop currently-running spells. No - the first time the character is aware something is wrong with them is when they wake up naked in a ditch, covered in blood, and with ten hours of missing memory. "What have I done?"

…making up the rules and the systems for the game because they aren't there in the first place is just getting annoying IMO.

Yep, I feel your pain there. "Stealth". shudder

Your gear point is a good one. If a character wants to buy some clothes that would not embarrass them in at a Waterdhavian ball, how much will those cost? Who knows?

pemerton

Legend
Well, there is certainly a sweet spot for how many rules are enough. A game can be defined on a single page or less. You can go to the opposite end of the spectrum and require a bookshelf full of rules to run a game properly.

D&D 5E seems to have hit that sweet spot for a whole heck of a lot of people but there is no pleasing everyone.
I'd go back to the point that it is possible to enjoy multiple RPGs.

I enjoy 4e D&D. That's a mechanically complicated game - it has rather intricate combat rules, very intricate PC build rules, and even though it's non-combat resolution is simple in comparison, it can be influenced by many of those PC build elements.

I also enjoy Cthulhu Dark. The rules for that game fit on a single A4 sheet. A character is defined by an occupation (which is not chose from a list - you just say what your PC's job is) and a sanity rating that starts at 1 and has you out of the game if it reaches 6.

And there are a range of other games I enjoy too.

For me, what is more important than the length or complexity of a system's rules is how comprehensive they are (relative to genre and play expectations) and how effective they are. One reason the AD&D rules are long is that there are so many discrete subsystems dealing with doors, traps and treasure chests. 3E was notorious for having a discrete, long and complete system just for grappling.

Conversely, Cthulhu Dark uses the same resolution system for everything, and it can be described in less than a page.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
PHB page 150:

Clothes, common 5 sp, 3 lb
Clothes, costume 5 gp, 4 lb
Clothes, fine 15 gp, 6 lb
Clothes, traveler's 2 gp, 4 lb
Robes 1 gp, 4 lb

Also, on page 157, in the Trade Goods section you can find that 1 square yard of linen costs 5 gp and 1 square yard of silk costs 10 gp.

I know it's not specifically a cloak, but I think you can made do with this info.
Apparently I will never have a PC become a clothing maker. It takes about 5 square yards of material to make a set of clothes, so it would take 25gp worth of linen to make 2gp traveler's clothes. That's a money maker!!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Apparently I will never have a PC become a clothing maker. It takes about 5 square yards of material to make a set of clothes, so it would take 25gp worth of linen to make 2gp traveler's clothes. That's a money maker!!
It's impossible under the RAW anyway, there are no Tailor tools. :p There are Weaver's tools though, so maybe you can get in on the money end...

Even better, maybe come up with a linen-cotton blend and market it as linen, then you can take advantage of the 5sp/sq yd cost on cotton cloth and really make a killing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I seem to recall the playtest version of 5e said PCs could automatically afford any amount of mundane equipment. Essentially "You don't need the price of a cloak - if you want a cloak you just go get one."

G

Guest 6801328

I seem to recall the playtest version of 5e said PCs could automatically afford any amount of mundane equipment. Essentially "You don't need the price of a cloak - if you want a cloak you just go get one."

That's essentially how The One Ring works.

Remove ads