ZEITGEIST Tizbiz Zeitgeist Campaign

I'm curious whether there's any RPG designed to capture the Downtown Abbey feel.

I won't give any info about Vekesh's fate. But I do hope you get a chance to perform that opera.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Wah, now you've stirred my interest even more!

I'm curious whether there's any RPG designed to capture the Downtown Abbey feel.

I hope there is. There has been a kickstarter for the Good Society RPG which is trying to capture the spirit of Jane Austen's regency era novels. It isn't out yet, but I backed it and am totally intrigued about the system. One would only need to include other house staff as PC options.

(For those who'd like to get more info: https://storybrewersroleplaying.com/good-society/)

Lylandra

Adventurer
Enter Fordren

Shortly after, we both receive an invitation to Vantrys' engagement party. So we both dress up in our finest evening gown and suit and take a carriage to the estate. Once we arrive there, we are both pretty surprised to see a fancy carriage parking there bearing the Fordren Industries crest, which indicates that a certain businessman could be present as well. After Fordren was absent during the engagement party of Cecilia and Goodson, we kind of dismissed the thought that he could show up.

“Now what would we do about him? I didn't even bring my weapon. I mean, no one usually needs a sword at an engagement party, right?” Auryn says hastily and somewhat nervously at the thought of going unarmed into the lion's den.

“Don't be afraid. First, I'm pretty sure you won't need to fight anyone today. Second, even if, I'm also sure you don't need a weapon to defend yourself. And third, I brought mine with me. It's a... habit.” Carlyle says calmly before offering Auryn his arm. “Shall we?”

As we enter the entrance and are guided towards the ball room, we realize that this is nothing short than a gathering of the who's who of Flint's industrial circles. It seems as if the whole party waited for our arrival as all eyes are instantly upon us as we approach the group gathered around the happy pair of Nathaniel Vantrys and Cecilia Fordren.

“Ah, our final guests! Welcome, Mr. Gabriel Carlyle and Ms. Auryn Galadin.”

Francis Fordren's strong and confident voice echoes through the room, granting us even more attention. He then shakes the hands of each of us with a really firm handshake and introduces us as close friends of the newly engaged.

Auryn quietly complains to Carlyle that Fordren's handshake could have easily crushed her hand and that she didn't expect such a firm grip from someone who rather resembles a slender intellectual than a brute.

“Oh that's not too unusual.” Carlyle explains. “Many businessmen actually train their 'crushing handshake' as it makes them seem more powerful and more confident.”

“Must be another strange risuri custom” Auryn sighs before elaborating that , where she comes from, such things like establishing hidden hierarchies are resolved via gestures and other formalities.

We then congratulate both Lord Vantrys and Cecilia and wish them good luck with the planning of their upcoming wedding. We engage in a bit of small-talk with the other guests and while Vantrys and Cecilia are keeping Vantrys' trusted friend occupied, Fordren approaches Auryn and asks her for a bit of “Ms. Galadin's” time. Auryn suppresses a quick laugh when he speaks that name, but she cautiously agrees even if she makes sure to stay in sight of everyone else.

To Auryn's surprise, Fordren asks her how she's been doing after their split-up eight years ago. When she returns that she's been faring more than fine, he surprises her a second time and asks her about her thoughts on what happened during her time on his estate and afterward. She eloquently returns the ball to him before answering the question and asks Fordren about his thoughts and views.

Without taking much of a breath, Fordren serenely and honestly tells her that he thought she was fascinating and impressive ever since the day she arrived on his island and that he really enjoyed every minute he had with her. He then confesses that he even reveled in the fact that she, the epitome of beauty, was his possession and his alone, before adding that he does regret the death of “the boy” and never meant to harm anyone in the process.

It takes a lot of Auryn's discipline to stay calm during his revelation. She then takes her turn while eyeing her opponent and all of his reactions closely. Auryn tells the story about being rescued from that cursed Yerasol island by a noble captain and his faithful crew who brought her to Flint. There, she sought refuge with these foreign people who welcomed her with open arms. She found both friends and allies in Risur and despite her need for revenge and her desire to act according to the rules of her people, she decided to stay peaceful for now.

For her reason why, Auryn explains that violence and hatred can easily create a maelstrom that consumes everyone, including the people she holds dear and who have sworn to protect her.

“This is what truly sets us apart. Even if I know that I am important for my people, I care for my friends and acquaintances and they care for me. Therefore, I will not put my desires above their well-being. But you... you only ever cared for yourself and acted on your desires no matter the consequences it would have on others.”

Fordren grins dimly and returns that she might have a point there. Still, he doesn't show any signs of regret or misery, even if he listens carefully.

“So, I decided to offer you a deal, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: Let the past be past. This doesn't mean I'll forget and neither that I'll ever forgive. But I will refrain from seeking vengeance. As long as you swear to respect me as the person I am and never try to possess me or any other eladrin ever again.”

Fordren raises his eyebrows in a quick surprise before stating that he would agree to her proposal. But he has one other condition that she should agree to: That she won't actively avoid him in public. Auryn replies that she'd have no reason to do so as long as he honors his part of the bargain.

“Then we have a deal. You are truly so much more fascinating and intriguing than I'd have ever thought, Auryn Galadin” he says gleefully as if their agreement was just the icing on the cake that is the engagement party of his niece.

(Yes, I did a lot of sense motives regarding Fordren's claims and promises and he seemed totally honest. Auryn had been looking for any signs of disrespect or dishonesty or hidden threats, but to her surprise, she found none. Had he made one mistake, especially if he'd called her Charusheela, she'd busted his good reputation by telling everyone what he did to her. With this outcome, she even has the tiniest spark of hope that Fordren might actually learn a thing or two from his experiences with the Risuri and her own example.

Regarding “the boy”, it refers to the one moment when Fordren shed a single tear in my backstory during Auryn's remembrance ceremony for Zahir. And again, means of address. Not only did Fordren call Auryn by a name he had chosen for her when she was his captive, he also used an informal address thus violating proper courtesy. He did address her formally during this scene and used her risuri name though.

Also, this whole dialogue was just perfect and Tiz played Fordren almost too well. I imagined it as two different kinds of predators circling each other, waiting for a mistake of their opponent. A mistake that never came.
)

Meanwhile, Carlyle spends some time with the happy pair of Lord Nathaniel Vantrys and Cecilia Fordren while always keeping a close eye on Auryn and Fordren.

“Seems like the uncle of my dear Cecilia has quite a taste for otherworldly beauty.” Vantrys comments on the scene after noticing Carlyle's continuous attention on the two. This immediately earns him rough pokes from Cecilia's elbows though as the young lady seems quite jealous.

“Ouch. I didn't... I think you know what I mean. It's not like she's just pretty. She... transcends every meaning of that word. If I were you, Gabriel Carlyle, I'd be cautious or else he might just snatch her away from you.”

Carlyle blinks a few times at this “friendly warning” of Vantrys and then smirks slightly.

“Oh, if you knew... besides, I doubt that Fordren will ever join the RHC as an agent, so the risk of him replacing me as Auryn's partner is close to zero. Though having him work as Delft's subordinate is quite a thought.”

(Yeah, Vantrys doesn't know about Auryn's past. She had planned to tell him after Goodson's demise to warn him more implicitly about Fordren, but didn't want to put a heavy weight on his relationship with Cecilia. And Carlyle would never tell anyone about it without her consent. Also, he didn't want to leave the impression that he had more than a professional but close relationship to his partner. The creed of discretion.)

When Auryn returns, Carlyle seems quite delighted that she managed to exorcise this ghost of hers without bloodshed or a scandal.

“Like I told you: You didn't need your weapon. And now that this is all over... I heard that there's quite a formidable dancer waiting to be asked for a dance. So.. shall we?”

Now this is an activity where Auryn doesn't need to be asked twice and so the two use the rest of the party to dance and enjoy the festivities. And as it turns out, Carlyle is quite a capable dancer.

Lylandra

Adventurer
A Ghost in the Shell

The next day, Delft awaits us in his office and states that the three of us were called to Slate immediately to meet up with the king and his Principal Minister and officially talk about the upcoming event and our role in all of this. As the chief inspector already got three tickets for the train, we pack our luggage and take the next train to the capital.

Once we arrive in Slate, we are surprised to see that we are to be carried to the palace in nothing short but the fancy and well-defended royal carriage. We mention that we didn't have this kind of treatment when we came here for our previous visits and guess that this might have something to do with being in the company of Flint's RHC chief inspector.

On our way to the palace, our driver suddenly gets shot without a warning by someone driving by in another carriage. Before anyone of us can react, we see that there is yet another carriage following us which is manned by people who are firing at us with a grappling hook. Which hits the outer wall of the carriage and seems to come with a built-in drill.

“They just... attacked the royal carriage?!” Delft shouts in disbelief. “Now you two, use any kind of lethal force you like, but bring these traitors down and let none escape.”

Carlyle doesn't need to think twice about Delft's orders, opens a window and teleports out of our carriage, right onto one of the carriages of our attackers. He draws his Kukris and beheads one of them before knocking the one operating an unknown mechanical device unconscious.

“Lethal force he said...” Carlyle says while looking down upon the – seriously frightened – third one of the attackers.

Auryn teleports onto the other carriage and utters a single, perfect note that keeps everyone except Carlyle (who is by now pretty used to her magic) frozen in awe.

(Planning around the fact that your partner has a really high will save and will most likely shake off all of your nasty effects is a bit unfair but totally worth it.)

Carlyle seizes the opportunity to get to Auryn's carriage (his third opponent just couldn't bear the thought of being gutted by this violent man who came out of nowhere) and bring the rest of them down. He beats them unconscious though as he guesses that the king will need answers on who'd attack his carriage.

Once the air seems clear, Delft opens the door of the royal carriage and gets out while cursing heavily. The very moment he steps out of the carriage, we hear a loud “poof” and the interior of the carriage is filled with poisonous gas. Seems like the drill also carried a gas bomb with it.

Auryn then rushes towards their shot driver and manages to barely save his life with a healing spell.
A quick examination of the attackers reveals the signature red scarves of the Kell guild members. We are really astonished to see them operating so far away from their home turf and hope that all of this will be clarified once they are subjected to a proper interrogation.

We help the driver who is still shocked by this near-death experience to get back to business and drive to Torfield Palace. There, we hand our prisoners to the local guards who bring them to the Palace's dungeons. We, on the other hand, are led towards a very officially looking conference room where we meet King Aodhan and Principal Minister Lee in a far more formal manner than usual. Both men hand us a dossier containing mainly several reports written by Delft regarding the Obscurati conspiracy.

We share a quick laugh at some of the nicknames Delft used for several suspects, like Princess Fairy Dust and the Duke of Slaughter and we can only guess what kind of strange names he might have invented for us.

(As we didn't have any clues about possible relations of the Obs with the Kells prior to the witchoil golems, Tiz had to delete some of the dossier's content. Kaja Stewart also didn't die and had no direct connection to the guild. Now we don't know whether we just didn't get the clues or whether Tiz lessened the involvement of the guild, but there we are.)

Lee explains that all of these reports indicate that there must be a second complex of the Obs hidden much deeper inside the Bleak Gate. This complex needs to be located as soon as possible, especially when the upcoming peace conference is set to take place in Flint. He also has reason to suspect that the deceased A.G. might have transferred his spirit into his golem and might therefore be still alive. While this is only a theory, it might not be the worst of ideas to re-build the golem and examine it.

Last but not least, King Aodhan brings up the subject of the Kell guild again. He agrees with our assessment that the guild should ideally be gone or at least diminished by the time the peace conference starts. Increasing the security level of the city to make it a safe place for all the attending guests of honor is among the top priorities. Which is why he'd like to hand the responsibility of taking care of Kell into our hands, people he knows he can trust and who are already beloved by the populace.

We gladly accept our new assignment even if we know that this will be a tough task. We discuss some possible scenarios with Delft, Lee and Aodhan, including the involvement of the Kell guild's newest enemy and competitor, the Familia. But while we are sure that the Familia won't pose a threat to the peace conference, we'd rather not arm a criminal organization to the teeth just to get rid of another one. Instead, we form a plan where we 'd recruit additional police officers from all of Risur to help out or local police during the anti-Kell-actions and the peace conference. This way, we might even kill two birds with one stone as we'll task our best police officers with fighting Kell while the foreign officers can keep an eye on the rest, especially those in the industrial areas we suspect to be corrupt and/or lazy.

Regarding the golem, we know that Serena Purdey from Team A already tried to reconstruct parts of it, but she didn't come too far because this golem is one hell of a difficult masterpiece. Now Auryn knows about one man whose company got pretty far in terms of intelligent automatons (Hi, B.E.A.R) and who could help them out, even if she'd only agree to this as a last resort for known reasons. Both King and Principal Minister are surprised to hear her suggesting Fordren as consultant. Lee responds that while this sounds like a solid plan, he'd rather give their royal technologist, Justin Rollins, a try. Auryn seems rather relieved by Lee's alternative and we agree to let Serena assist Rollins to her best abilities.

(Now I don't really know if Lee and Aodhan know that Fordren is “that man” Auryn told them about aboard the Coaltongue or if they were just surprised that a risuri agent suggested a danoran industrialist. But Price-Hill knows for sure and he also asked her to not kill Fordren during their audit.)

After we finish our talks, we get the first results of the interrogation of our prisoners. It seems as if they were able to read our message to Slate via Semaphor and planned an ambush in response. We find this troubling indeed and ask the local agents to send us any more news immediately to our office in Flint. Then we take the next best train back to Flint.

Just when we arrive in Delft's office to finish our plans for the next days, Carlyle bites his lip and reveals that we could have avoided the assassination attempt altogether and saved a lot of time he he just remembered that he has a teleport spell in his magical tome. Delft turns all red in response before uttering a long rant about certain agents who'd better keep track of all of their tricks and almost got their Chief Inspector killed.

“Well, maybe a certain Chief Inspector could have actually read our report or listened to his fiancee's tales about how she returned to Flint after being stranded in Sid Minos” Carlyle responds dryly while Auryn chuckles quietly.

“Enough of this nonsense! Out! Out, both of you! Who needs enemies when you got friends like these!?” Delft shouts while throwing various objects from his desk in our general direction.

When we return to our office, we are approached by a broadly grinning Carlao who got a small scoreboard in her hands containing what seems to be bets. “Now who was it this time? Auryn? Mr. Carlyle? And did he already threaten to fire you?” she asks before admitting that ever since Delft took Saxby's office the other agents started this statistic on their boss' sudden rages.

“I actually might have crossed a line. My humor isn't the best, you know?”

“We all know.” Carlao responds, obviously amused by Carlyle's statement.

Then, we try to get as much distance between ourselves and Delft as possible and decide to take a look at the destroyed golem of A.G. We find the golem and Serena in the RHC's evidence storeroom where our fellow agent is busy trying to make sense of some of the golem's innards. She says that she's pretty certain that she might restore the golem in time, but she doesn't know how long this may take and she also got a job to do with her team. We encourage her to continue her work and also mention that she'll get support by the royal technologist soon.

As time draws late, Carlyle excuses himself to go to his favorite spirits shop to buy a fine bottle of cognac. He returns to the RHC, heads to Delft's office and invites his boss to a glass or two as he'd like to apologize for his comment. He explains that he's still not used to all of this new magical abilities which developed after centuries of living a regular life. He promises to teleport him the next time he has to go visit the capital though.

Delft also apologizes for his outrage. He says that he's still trying to adapt to his new job and things get over his head from time to time. He never wanted to have that much responsibility in the first place, but had accepted the honor and now wants to serve the RHC and his teams to the best of his abilities. Then the two enjoy the really good drink and Carlyle leaves the bottle in Delft's capable hands.

One day later, we pick up Justin Rollins, royal technologist and proud owner of RIPPER V2.0, his loyal robot dog, from Flint station. When we ask Mr. Rollins about what happened to the original RIPPER, he explains that his first version got crushed by a malfunctioning generator and he had to rebuild V2.0 from the remains of V1.0. RIPPER seems to retain memories of this event as he's terribly afraid of heavy objects, he says. Still he's the best assistant a human could wish for.

We do some smalltalk with Rollins on our way to the RHC and it turns out that philanderer Romeo Casanunda is actually writing cheap romance novels in his free time. Rollins is a total fan and admits that he orders every new issue and secretly dreams of living the life of such a dashing scoundrel. Carlyle grins mischievously at this news and suggests to buy the complete series as his next literary investment. Maybe he'll even find tales about an exciting eladrin lady among the novels, he muses.

(seems like a certain someone has a mean streak...)

Once we arrive in the RHC tech lab, we introduce MR. Rollins to Serena Purdey and the two form quite a working team in no time. It only takes them a few hours and they manage to repair one arm of the golem which starts moving instantly and repeatedly tocks with a finger on a wooden desk. At first, we cannot make much sense of the rhythmic tock-tock-tock, but then Carlyle recognizes this as the same sort of code he learned during his service in the grand war.

“It seems like this gentleman is looking for a pen” he translates.

We are quite surprised by this request, but nonetheless get a pen and a sheet of paper for the one-armed golem who starts writing the moment we give him the wanted object. As Harkover Lee suspected, the dead man did manage to transfer his spirit into the golem the moment he ordered it to crush his human body's skull. The man introduces himself as Alexander Grappa, the Mind Maker and former owner of Grappa's Golem Workshop.

He says that he is part of a secret society and therefore bound to a strong geas which doesn't allow him to talk – or rather write – about any intricate detail of their plans. Still he manages to tell us that he is not and never was a friend of Leone Quintal. Regarding Kasvarina, he explains that her situation is far more complex than being a mere damsel in distress. He adds that while he cannot tell us much more, he can help us to find a way to the place we need to go once we find a way into the Bleak Gate. For this journey he does need a functioning body though which is why he asks us to go to his old workshop and get him some eyes.

As we still hope to find a proper body for Dr. Meredith, we ask Grappa whether he'd be able to repeat with another spirit what he did with his. He confirms this and agrees to work on another compatible body once the more pressing issues are handled. He does need the items from his workshop though.

We suspect that Grappa's Golem Workshop might be located in Parity Lake and so we decide to pay our good friend Sechim a visit and ask him whether he knows more about a skilled golem maker. We're really surprised to see two grand new factory halls next to Sechim's original factory and the young chemist greets us all with a broad smile on his lips. He invites us to a cup of coffee (he got a shiny new coffee machine and claims to have found the perfect recipe for making the best coffee in all of Flint) and thanks us for all of our tips. His collaboration with the humanist's society has been quite successful and he managed to gain some skillful new recruits. Regarding a golem workshop, he does remember such a workshop from his childhood and can lead us there.

Fortunately, the workshop hasn't been plundered yet and so we request to bring all of the movable material to the RHC tech lab immediately.

Only one day later, we see the final result of the combined effort of Rollins, Purdey and Grappa: A very gracefully built bronze golem which greets us thanks to a new voice module.

“Oh my, what a pleasure to finally see you! Alexander Grappa, at your service.” the golem says with a brassy voice and carefully shakes the hands of each of us.

Then he repeats his plea to find a way to the Bleak Gate as he feels like time is running short on whatever happens there. He'd really like to tell us by striking the keys to his keyboard which is connected to his voice emitter, but his arm won't move as soon as he's trying to talk more about the Obs.

As we believe that going via Macbannin's abandoned complex won't work, we can only think of the creature Elik, a strange being Gale told us about months ago. So we decide to write dear Hana another letter and ask her to introduce us to her acquaintance.

Speaking of romance novels, another group had an artist among its players, who illustrated the cover of an in-universe romance novel, recounting an affair between a PC and Gale. https://bosum-strand-irregulars.tum...0/yoccu-heres-a-commission-i-just-finished-it

tumblr_nq0534z0rh1qdcy3io1_1280.png

Lylandra

Adventurer
Okay, this is awesome. Love it!

So... Gale and a Tiefling agent in a romance? That's something Auryn would totally read about. And I can even see "our" Gale being more interested in girls than in boys after all she's been through in her life.

And if we ever finish this campaign, I'll have to get my hands on their story :)

Lylandra

Adventurer
Gale's tale

Session 25

We start our mission against the Kell Guild by requesting a capable partner from the Flinter police stations. As we are handed a list of candidates, we find one familiar name and decide to hire Miggs Maloney for the job. Regarding the 50 officers we'd like to use as strike force, we plan to recruit them from all offices in Flint, so we get wider variety of local knowledge and contacts.

As the king declares the attack on the royal carriage to be high treason committed by the Kell Guild, this means we have pretty free reigns in how to proceed from there. We use the next time to gather even more information from our various sources, including the police and our smaller criminal contacts. It turns out that the Kell-cancer has already spread very far in Flint and the Guild entertains at least smaller hideouts or enterprises in almost every district of the city. We find that the most remarkable ones are the “Black Rose” brothel, the “Mermaid” bath house, the “Sunset Beach” casino, the “Grandiose” fish market and the “Den of Thieves”.

For the higher-ups, we get the names Hammerton (who we already knew to be the contact of the fake reporter), “Knife” who's said to be a refined assassin, “Meat Hook” who's more like the opposite of refined, “Spinning Wheel”, a slender man, and the “Consultant” who's managing the Guild's finances. We also find archived reports about a man named “Fishing Schubert”, an ex-member who dropped out of the Guild some time ago and who's said to have found refuge in the Cloudwood.

We decide that we'd need even more information before we conduct our first strike against the Guild which is why we'll try to observe, capture and question a few of the lower ranks. Also, we try to establish contacts within the local newspapers as we plan to get them to publish articles about the accusation of high treason and the successes of our first raids. This way, we hope to get the people of Flint on our side and let them feel like everything's in good and capable hands. After all, the Kells have crossed a line and we'll do our best to show them the swift justice of the Flint officials.

So we head to the fish market and see that there are hawkers on the streets trying to sell red scarves. We can only guess that these people were tasked by the guild to either incite sympathy or additional disguises for their members and they also don't seem to be guild regulars. We observe the fish market for a while, find one easy target, capture him, question him in a side alley and then wipe his memory of the event. The man didn't know too much, but we learn that this market is meant to launder money and spread information.

Next, Carlyle suggests that we pay prosecutor Starke a visit as we'd like to get his office on board. After all, massive strikes against the Kells will most likely lead to a big number of charges against the guild's members. So we'd better warn the good man that there's an influx of work on the horizon.

When we tell Starke about our mission and our planned strikes against the Kells, Starke is immediately on board. After a while, it seems as if the mission is a pretty personal matter for the prosecutor. When Auryn asks him whether this might have anything to do with a certain event regarding his deceased wife, Starke cannot hold back his tears any longer and he vows to not repeat the very same mistakes he did when he was a much younger man.

“This time, we'll make them pay. We'll round them up and bring them to justice” Carlyle says and he promises Starke that once this is over, he'll finally be able to find peace.

We suggest that his office might produce a standard form for witnesses and drop-outs to minimalize the hurdles for those who'd like to support our effort. Last but not least, we ask Starke about his son's whereabouts. The prosecutor explains that Tyler is doing fine and that he's working on a career as a pianist. He thanks us again for this chance for a new start for both him and his son.

(What a great opportunity to continue the Starke story thread. That guy is one of my favorite "minor recurring characters" and we're glad to be of help to him with all the tragedies surrounding his life)

Then we head to Cloudwood to visit the artist's enclave and try to talk to one of Renard Woodman's contacts. We guess that, if Fishing Schubert fled here, he'd most likely have contacts within the bandits and these guys still owe us a favor for saving Morena. In the enclave, we find a half-elven dancer who's very sympathetic towards Auryn and who leads us to our friendly neighborhood raven druid. We explain our issues to druid and companion and he promises to search for Fishing Schubert and send us a raven should he have news for us.

(Considering the fact that the raven was eyeing Carlyle constantly, we're pretty sure that the avian won't pay him a visit though. Birdie surely doesn't want to be put in a closet again)

As we're already in Cloudwood and Auryn didn't get a response from Gale yet, she decides to take a detour and visit the elusive Eladrin's meeting point, hoping to find her or her letter by chance. Fortunately, Hana is currently relaxing by the riverside, so Auryn takes the opportunity to ask her about her message and the contents of Gale's last letter which she really couldn't wrap her head around.

(Auryn and Gale/Hana are sending each other messages in irregular intervals. She had naturally been “quiet” during her mission abroad and then messaged Gale about having a young student, Isobel, who didn't know too much about Elfaivar so she'd like to know whether her enclave and Gale's home would share the same system, traditions and beliefs)

Gale is quite surprised to see the two of us, but nonetheless says that, regarding her letter, she wasn't really born in an enclave. At least not the kind of enclave Auryn had in mind. She is a bit hesitant to tell Auryn that she was, in fact, born as a daughter of one of “the king's” wives. She then managed to flee from her home when she was a young woman. Auryn stares at Hana is disbelief at her revelation and though she had seen evidence pointing to one or two mad kings being still alive, she's still shocked to see that evidence confirmed by a living witness.

Auryn says that now she finally understands Hana's skepticism towards Elfaivar. The eladrin continues the tale of her restless journey through Elfaivar: After a while she finally found a place that welcomed her, an enclave named Sentosa, led by the matriarch Athryalla Valanar. She explains that she could finally find some rest there, living without the constant fear of being pursued by the king's agents. The people there treated her well, but there were aspects of the city that just felt wrong and reminded her of the place she fled from, including the institution of the Anata Paudha, a place where the enclave's citizens could satisfy their sexual desires.

Auryn says that there isn't much wrong with a place where younglings can share their first experiences or where men can signal that they are interested in a brief encounter. Hana stops her thought there and says that it is more like a kind of service performed by some women of the enclave and that every man of the enclave has the right to spend one night there, something that's more akin to a sanctified brothel. Now that hits Auryn like a nasty low blow and she cannot really believe that a matriarch would ever allow customs like this. She explains that no man shall ever be entitled to sleeping with a woman and that men who cannot control their urges shall be exiled from any true enclave as they'd violate the basis of respect and cooperation every enclave is built upon. Being with a woman, she says, is a privilege that has to be earned and given individually.

Hana lauds Auryn for her spirited speech and then asks her about her own home and views. Auryn tells her a bit about the customs of Pallita and then adds that she'd have to change quite a bit in her own enclave as she knows that most of the remaining veterans will die during her lifetime, thus normalizing the ratio of eladrin men and women. She herself might either be one of the last matriarchs to have multiple husbands or one of the first to marry only one. She'd also value the lives of her sons as much as those of her daughters as all children will be most precious in the times to come.

Hana seeems quite interested in Auryn's plans and philosophy. She says that maybe she could consider settling down in a place like hers one day. She adds that she'd love to meet young Isobel once her name has been cleared and she's free to enter the city of Flint again. Regarding Elik, she promises to keep looking for him and says that she'll send us her messenger canary should she get news on this matter.

Then the two women exchange their farewells and Auryn... suddenly realizes that she completely forgot Carlyle in the process. The latter looks utterly aghast at her as if he just witnessed something truly unreal. He says that he didn't understand a single word besides 'Elik' and adds that this would not be too relevant as the two women clearly needed some private time.

„But this... this was just embarassing. Besides, after I told you everything I... thought you'd stop keeping secrets from me.“ he says, utterly disappointed with the whole situation.

Auryn apologizes for not telling him earlier about having more to discuss with Gale than just Elik. She just forgot she didn't tell him about her correspondence with her pen friend and also never thought it'd be relevant. She didn't mean to exclude him from any important secret, even if there are obviously topics that are rather intimate and she's pretty sure that he wouldn't wish to discuss all of his private correspondence with Lord Vantrys either.

Regarding Gale, she just hoped to broaden her knowledge about elfaivaran traditions as she doesn't want to teach anything too niche to Isobel. She also thought her to be a good source of information regarding her own “problem“ as maybe other enclaves would have different views on marriage. She surely didn't expect Gale to tell such a disturbing story and she confesses that she's still feeling sick thinking about it.

Now Carlyle still doesn't understand why Auryn would be so devastated and so he asks her to maybe clear up that "mad kings" matter for him. Auryn slowly calms down a bit and explains that the mad kings were those Lords of Elfaivar who refused to accept the new circumstances after the Fall of Srasama. They started an all-out war against everyone who was lucky enough to have one or more women left insider their territory and tried to claim them as their wives at any cost. Auryn says that tales about the kings were told as horror stories when she was a child, and as a warning about what happens when leaders forsake both dignity and duty.

The kings turning out to be real and alive, as well as Gale's descriptions of an abominable institution in an enclave led by a matriarch are both facts that are hard to swallow for her. Facts that place serious doubts in her mind, thus weakening her faith in the possibility of a unified Elfaivar.

„What if everything they told me wasn't true at all? What if we and our way are a mere minority? Then what was I training, what was I fighting for?“ she asks, seeming unnaturally insecure.

Carlyle responds that she shouldn't draw too hasty conclusions. Instead, he suggests that she could finally take her days off and pay her old home a visit. After all, she'd be the best person to judge the situation in Elfaivar, being both an investigator and a canny diplomat. He then quickly adds that he could also warm up to the thought of teleporting her, so she won't have to take the long trip through the inner sea. Now that just sounds like a fine plan for Auryn.

(To be honest, the whole Gale affair escalated so much because of me making the mistake of actually forgetting to tell Carlyle about the visit despite the fact that I had originally planned to keep him up with Isobel's training. I felt a bit like in a hurry and then got excited to hear that she was truly at the riverside and... there we were.

Auryn didn't ask Gale about her time in Danor or about what happened after Sentosa yet because she knows how straining these topics can be. She was barely able to talk about Fordren a few years after her rescue and she'd been imprisoned for "only" about a year or two. Gale, on the other hand, had been a trophy wife for 100 years.

Also, she's really opinionated when it comes to the enclaves and her traditions. She knows that she has to change things and she adapted to risuri culture and customs to some degree, but she's still biased and sees everything through the lens of a matriarch's daughter – which led to a pretty funny exchange with Aodhan during their preparations for the conference. So, both the Kings and the Anata Paudha are perversions in her eyes which have no place in a modern Elfaivar.

And this was only one of the first incidents that started gnawing at her sanity during adventure 5.)

Lylandra

Adventurer
A night at the opera

As we hope to find the two Kell guildies who tried to abduct Morena to maybe get more info about the guild from them, we travel to the police station in the Nettles and ask for their whereabouts. We are told that the two men were brought to the prison ships after being found guilty, so we decide to visit these strange ships once more. Fortunately, Lord Vantrys agreed to inherit the ships from Guy Goodson (Leaving them in the hands of Fordren would have been dangerous for everyone involved) and so we find that the conditions there have improved a lot.

We find the two men sitting in a literacy course led by a tattooed docker lady. The teacher agrees to let their “students” leave for some questioning and so we take each of them aside to ask them questions about their Guild affiliations. We tell them both that they are fortunate ones indeed as they were imprisoned before their Guild was charged with high treason, so they might not necessarily end on the gallows, unlike their fellow brothers-in-crime. We promise them protection and a rather soft process should they decide to hand us crucial information, and so they decide to talk.

We get the info that Hammerton has been part of the Guild for quite a while, but the other lieutenants got exchanged after the grand Flint harbor massacre 13 months ago. Both talk about one lawyer who did a terrific job in defending the new recruits when they were charged and brought to court. We also get more information about the “Knife” as his name sounds like “Obers de somehing-with-ville” and that he also has a habit of visiting the Navras Opera house. “Meat Hook” on the other hand is more of a brute who likes to hang out in the Casa del Kell.

As we don't know whether one of these little birdies might get a change of mind during the next days and decide to give Kell a warning, we'd like to request that all of their mail lands on our office desks before delivery. The head warden of the prison ships would love o help us out in this regards, but he needs to get the okay from the Lord Judge first. So we head to the courthouse next.

There, we see that the Lord Judge is about to say goodbye to Mr. Morgan Cippiano who promise each other to go see the next grand Opera show in their usual loge. Cippiano bows his head as soon as he sees the two of us, but prefers to leave with this rather distant form of greeting. We tell the Judge about our suspicion that two imprisoned members of the Kell Guild might try to contact their criminal friends in the near future which is why we'd need to scan their mail in advance. The man sees no problem in our request and grants us the permission to get the mail delivered. We also ask to take a glimpse at archived files about the grand harbor massacre and the Judge sends us to the court archives.

There we find the name of the “excellent lawyer” of the Kell lieutenants, a man named Mr. Augst who's residing in North Shore. So one more on our list. As it is getting late this day, we decide to call it a day and resume our work on the next day.

The next morning, Auryn has a light hangover due to a rendezvous with a bottle of wine. When she's asked if everything's alright, she just says that she got a lot of strange news yesterday and couldn't really get enough sleep. The corresponding headache needs to be put aside though as we just got our first meeting with our brand new anti-Kell-strike force on the schedule.

We visit the 50 officers in their barracks in Pine Island where they are being stationed alongside their families. Auryn gives a short speech where she thanks the brave policemen and -women for their devotion to the cause and their courage to fight the cancer of the Kell Guild. She calls upon their secrecy, loyalty and comradeship so they might be finally able to do what no official of Flint has dared to do before: getting rid of the blot that is the Guild altogether. We then tell the officers that we already planned our first trike against the Casa del Kell on the next morning and we expect everyone to be ready by then. We'll take the day to collect some final information about the “fortress” and hand them the details of our plan later.

We head to the RHC and find that the collection of illusion scrolls we ordered a while ago just arrived in time. We plan to use them during our first strike to make it seem as if we got actually masses of police officers instead of a mere 50.

(we know that each of us might take on multiple Kell goonies, so we'd like to hide inside a police swarm illusion. Regarding the scrolls, we always request the “Harkover Lee special”, a specific kind of scroll developed by the Principal Minister that can be used by everyone even when they lack the Use Magic Device skill. I don't know whether these are canon and whether they are still made by Lee himself, but we find the thought of the king's best man scribing a fair amount of scrolls for our missions quite hilarious. Not that we use up too many scrolls though...)

As we managed to get last minute tickets for today's beran opera premiere in the Navras Opera house, we try to get our hands on the “Knife” next. Auryn seems to be quite excited at the prospect of visiting her favorite flinter building and her mood brightens up immediately once the two of us set a foot in the opera plaza. Carlyle remembers that he had the chance to be here when the Opera House was finally finished after almost two centuries of construction and he says that this building has been around as long as he himself, considering the fact that Navras must have left Elfaivar roughly at the same time as he left Crisillyir. He then, again, points out that Navras' Dirge of Vekesh had been truly impressive and a once-in-a-lifetime event, leaving Auryn both envious and incited.

We meet a couple of acquaintances and “other people we know” in the Opera's grand foyer, including Morgan Cippiano, accompanied by the Lord Judge of Flint, Lord Vantrys and Cecilia Fordren, as well as the Carlyle couple and Mr. Fordren. For once, we are glad that Morris Dawkins, being an opera enthusiast himself, skipped the event as we both really don't know what would happen if these two men met. Courtesy dictates that we greet and exchange a few words with each of them, so Auryn tucks her arm into Carlyle's before we wish everyone a pleasant evening. Fortunately, Fordren seems to be keen on making profitable investments in Ber and isn't menacing at all.

“Yeah, just try to introduce your lowly danoran industry standards and slavery-like working conditions to Ber. You're going to have great fun with the Executores Dola Liberta and their whips. They surely know how to get rid of tyrants...” she whispers once we are out of hearing range.

Carlyle chuckles a bit at her comment after being slightly worried about the fact that his partner obviously sought his support during their encounter with Fordren.

As we stride towards our loge, we find the two Starkes chatting with a man who matches the description of our wanted “Knife”. From their conversation we hear that the man is actually called Aubert de Chartville and not “Obers” (thanks goodness, as “Obers” is actually the austrian-german word for cream and would have led to a lot of silly wordplays) and the moment he realizes that young Tyler has quite the amount of knowledge about music, he invites both father and son to join him in his loge.

We, on the other hand, are rather unlucky, as we find that our loge neighbor is none other than Rock Rackus. Rock isn't interested in the opera at all as he's just here to “check the location for his next gig” and jokes about finding different ways to tear the whole building down. Needless to say that we both are rather appalled at both the prospect of having Rock perform in the opera house and his blasphemous thoughts. So Auryn jokes that Rock might want to perform in the most famous Scoundrel's Theater instead.

Carlyle takes the first half of the opera to closely watch the Starke/de Chartville loge, fearing that the Kell assassin might take a strike against the prosecutor. Meanwhile, Auryn tries to keep Rock from doing anything stupid or embarrassing.

During the first break, Auryn seizes the opportunity to greet the Starkes and introduce herself to Aubert de Chartville. They talk a bit about music, the opera and Tyler's progress in playing the piano. As the Starke son seems to be quite adapt at musical theory as well, she tells him about her own “Dirge” project and promises to hand him some copies of her drafts so he may add a comment or two. At first, Aubert is quite enthralled by the exchange of the two artists, leaving the impression that he's really an enthusiast and not just playing a role to get a job done.

But when Auryn mentions her “dear Mr. Carlyle” who'd surely love to join their chat, de Chartville suddenly realizes that the two of us must be these famous RHC agents that were all over the news. So he excuses himself and heads towards the gent's bathroom. We follow him shortly after and Carlyle catches him inside where he's just about to jump out of the window.

We are able to arrest the tiefling without causing too much ruckus and bring him to the RHC. Unfortunately, this means we also miss the second part of the opera show. Once we get him to a cell, Aubert starts trying to negotiate for his freedom. He offers us names and places, but he insists to be released and freed of all charges. All we offer him though is the prospect of some years in prison instead of a public execution for high treason. After all, this guy does love his job as a high class hitman and the comfort that comes with the corresponding payment far too much. So we don't come to an agreement and decide to let him rot in our cells for a while.

(We really tried, but the “Knife” insisted on an all-or-nothing deal: Either complete freedom or he'd prefer death and stay silent. Even tried to commit suicide at one point. What a weirdo.

On a second thought, Auryn was really disappointed that a refined man like de Chartville would talk so little and refused the chance to save his life as she found him quite charming and enjoyed talking about music with him. Carlyle on the other hand could appreciate his manners, but he totally loathed the rest of Chartville's character)

I've missed these updates.

For a few parts of ZEITGEIST, I wished I had more musical talent. I have no idea what the Dirge of Vekesh should have sounded like. I was just inspired by the fact that before the First Crusade, the pope gave a speech so inspirational that thousands of people were convinced to try to conquer the Holy Land. No one knows what he said, though. I wanted something of similar power, but in the opposite direction, rejecting religious zeal and destruction, and instead focusing on the long, challenging obligation of staying alive in the face of grief.

Remove ads