ZEITGEIST Tizbiz Zeitgeist Campaign

Lylandra

Adventurer
The price of freedom

Shortly after we break through the door the legionnaires kept shut, we understand why they'd done so as we're immediately being attacked by a pack of rabid hell hounds. We order Giovanni and the gang to stay in a safe distance. Then Auryn uses her Fey magic and her traditional dance to empower Carlyle, who then slays three of the dogs with a whirlwind of blades. The next dog then falls to a pistol shot of Margit and a precise jab with Auryn's rapier.

The air grows quiet for a moment, but the the blood of the hounds merges with the dust on the ground which causes the dust to form seven skeletons ready to attack any trespassers. Fortunately, we do remember Enis Adolini's spell which turns the skeletons into loyal followers in an instant.

We believe in the power of holy binding, so we let the group of skeletons follow us through the Crypta. This turns out to be quite the good decision as we come across a grotesque, inverted giant in the next vault. This one seems less friendly despite our attempt to greet him and turn him with the architect's spell, so we at first defend ourselves from the creature's attacks. Unfortunately, the unholy giant's wounds regenerate even faster than Andrei's do and it also doesn't react to fire, so it seems as if we're lacking options here.

Then Auryn remembers that certain kinds of undead can only be harmed by holy or life energy, so Margit takes control of the situation by channeling the life-giving power of the Old Faith to really hurt the giant. Auryn joins forces by using healing magic while the holy skeletons keep the giant occupied and join in the use of holy powers.

This way, we disintegrate the unholy giant until he's reduced to dust. Then, we're finally able to take a closer look into this room. To our surprise, we find a small, blood-encrusted ring on a pedestal in the middle of said room. We examine it carefully and understand that this simple ring must be one of Triegenes' rings that he wore during his time as a mortal. During our examination, we also learn that there is an elaborate spell woven around the ring which blocks any attempts to use divination spells and abilities from this place. So this must be the thing that's causing Ashima-Shimtu so much trouble. So we call out to the demoness and try to make a small bargain with her: We'll remove the ring and restore her sight to the outside world and she owes us a favor in return.

“Don't try to trick me!”, Ashima-Shimtu shouts to us with an unusually booming voice, “I know that this ring is why you came here. You don't do this to do me a favor at all. Trying to deceive me isn't the best of ideas. Just take it, I don't mind. A favor for you, a favor for me.”

But it seems like Carlyle isn't going to have it with the demoness' shenanigans this time.

“Well, if that is the case, then I'm sure that you won't mind if I put it back here after we used it for a little while, will you?”

“Just try it, cocky mortal”, she replies, hinting that the ring on itself wouldn't do much.

“Very well then. I'm not a man who's all talk and no action” says Carlyle, before using another vision to receive the information about what Testamenta did with the ring. He then recites her ritual step by step and Ashima-Shimtu cries out in protest.

“And this is what sets you apart from your dreaded Clergy?! I'd have expected more from you!”

“And I'd thought you were a little more cooperative. All we wish to know is what Miller and Kasvarina were doing in this Crypta 500 years ago.”

“No, no. It isn't supposed to go that way. This is a tale for another time”

“Alternatively, you can tell us about your vision of doom.”, Auryn adds.

“You're too clever for your own good. I promise that we'll talk about that the next time we meet. This and... the tale of your beloved Kasvarina.”

“So you're just being lonely and bored. You actually enjoy our company and want to make sure that we return to you”

The demoness returns this assumption of Auryn with a deep grumble, but we feel that we hit a certain nerve here. Ashima-Shimtu then confesses that she foresaw that we'll cross paths multiple times in the future and that we will definitely be the ones who are responsible for freeing her. Carlyle grins broadly at that confession as he claims that this must be either another lie or make her even more dependent on us, thus warranting an even bigger favor on our side. She seems rather piqued on this clever remark and falls all silent.

(Basically Tiz' way of telling us that we'll return eventually to get to know more about this whole story. Thus making Ashima-Shimtu the most meta creature we've ever encountered.)

So we decide that we'd not enter her vault this time as we just got what we came for. Even if she doesn't want to talk. A closer look at the Ring of Triegenes reveals that this object might just be sympatheticum enough to cancel out the magic holding Enis Adolini, so we head back to the architect's vault and free him. Then we collect the entourage of Giovanni and the painter himself, complete the ritual of the Pious Mount seven times and return to the surface.

As soon as Enis Adolini is able to see the light of the sun once again, the magic of the Crypt that's been keeping him alive over the centuries wears off and he, too, turns to fine dust. But at least he vanishes with a smile on his face.

“I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say. I... just wish that he could have had a few more years in the sun.” Auryn says with heavy regret. Then she realizes that all of her pleas to free Adolini even at the risk of freeing a devil along with him had been for naught and she sinks down to one knee.

“Don't grieve, Auryn. His soul is free at last. That much we could give to him. And I'm glad that you argued for Signor Adolini's freedom.”

Carlyle touches Auryn's shoulder with one hand, turns to the sky and raises his hand as a last goodbye to the departing spirit of the vault's architect. Giovanni starts sketching at the scene he just witnessed, but Carlyle asks him to maybe allow for more piety. We then contact Flint and ask for a transfer via teleport as Carlyle's magic is still weakened.

(Again, the themes of Carlyle and Auryn are pretty clear: Where she does everything in her power to ensure that everyone has a chance to live, he focuses on souls, spirits and their affairs. And where death is a tragedy for Auryn, Carlyle regards it as the final form of freedom)

This way, we bring all of the Crypt's survivors to Flint where we educate them on the “new world” they are about to enter. Most of them appear to be in a happy mood and ask for a place to celebrate and have fun, which is why we believe that they'll have an easy time adapting to the Docker lifestyle. We also teach them about the registration process where they can apply for citizenship if they'd like to do so.

(A lillend and some crazy party people? Sounds like the ideal crowd for Rock Rackus if you'd ask me)

We take some time to talk to Giovanni who seems a bit annoyed that he'd have to continue working for a living again. For now, he explains, he'll resort to sleeping inside his painting which means that he'd just need one well-meaning individual or a forsaken building to hang said art object in. In response, Carlyle turns to him and offers him a sweet head start for his new career in Flint: He would love to commission a painting of Srasama for his home. Of course, he'll pay a decent sum for it and no, it doesn't have to be animated or visitable. Giovanni seems a bit surprised and hesitant at this very specific commission.

“So what scenery do you imagine? The goddess' flaming march into Alais Primos? Maybe with a twist to make her victorious instead?”

Carlyle shakes his head immediately.

“Nothing too martial or provocative. I wish for an image of the trinity. And I'd like to place it in the entrance of my home”

He then takes a quick look at Auryn and nods to Giovanni to signal him that he believes in the painter's craft. And it appears that Giovanni accepts the order before he leaves to find his new home.

Lylandra

Adventurer
The Lich in the Iceberg

We then rest one day and return to Knütpara to meet the nameless Lich once more. We show him the Ring of Triegenes and explain that it will suffice to get him free from the divine ward and his icy prison. But we also insist that the Lich teaches us the soul swapping magic and performs it on a few individuals before we do so. Especially Dr. Xambria Meredith seems to be interested as this procedure might just provide her with a body of her own, so she's giving the Lich all of her attention. First, we say, we'd need the information of Leone, thus we'd need Grappa to be able to use Leone's body freely. No problem, says the Lich, just bring the guy to him, press him to the ice and he'll use his magic to expel the creature known as Leone Quintal.

We agree that this will mean the end of Leone, but he already died anyway and forfeited his second chance, so no need to grieve for him.

“But wait a minute.” Auryn injects “Just expelling him won't be enough. We need him, no, his soul, imprisoned. They resurrected him once, who says that they won't do it a second time?”

Carlyle bites his lip at this statement but doesn't say a word. We then pull Leone out of the Absurdist's web and wake him up to prepare him for what's about to happen. For a moment, Leone is his over-confident self, but then he realizes that he is not in the RHC cell anymore, but in some sort of icy surrounding. And that seems to disturb him.

We then tell him the facts straight to his face: Carlyle and Testamenta both granted him a second chance for another life after he got stuck in the Witchoil, but he refused to take it. Instead, he followed the Obs once again, killed Grappa and mocked us for our kindness. Usually, this would be enough to imprison him for a prolonged time in the RHC, but seeing that Testamenta pulled every string to retrieve an ancient divine artifact from a forbidden vault full of demonic relics, we have to assume that she'll just try again and again to return him to her side. Also, as the arguments he presented when he was locked up in the RHC cell were quite convincing, we don't think that he were trying to play games regarding his intent to harm us. Which is why we got no other choice to make sure that no one will be ever able to revive him again, even if that means that we have to resort to really dark and ancient magic ourselves. And this we'll do by separating his soul from his body and locking his soul away for good.

Leone listens carefully to our statements and then starts to panic more and more. Especially when he finally spots the ancient Lich imprisoned in the icy wall.

“No, please! You cannot do this to me! You are civilized people, aren't you. I am a gentleman! Let me go!”

Carlyle then remorselessly picks the chained man up and presses him to the wall where the nameless Lich is imprisoned. Leone struggles against his grip, but fails to get free. We then pull out a gem and the Lich uses his magic to slowly extract Leone's soul against his final resistance and imprison it inside the gem. Seeing this procedure, Dr. Meredith/Flying Spark appear very much shocked by the visible struggle of the victim. However, Carlyle remains stoic as he lets go of the seemingly lifeless body of Leone. He then looks at the gem in his palm and shakes his head in disbelief.

“I... really don't like the thought of keeping his soul imprisoned for an indefinite period of time. Just having this thing in my grasp makes me sick. It is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve normally.”

This time it is Auryn who's trying to comfort Carlyle's conflicted emotions.

“I understand you. But we really got no other choice. And I promise you that we'll release his soul once all of this Obscurati madness is over.”

We then let the Lich teach us his technique with the twist that we may implant our own souls into other people's bodies without having to basically kill them. We realize that the result might just be the very same effect that Nicodemus uses to possess other people and guess that the two kinds of magic might somehow be related, but the Lich tells us that he doesn't know anybody with this name, so it might be just a coincidence.

Then Grappa slowly opens his eyes in the body of Leone and, for the first time, he appears to be all alone. It takes a while to fully control this new version of his and he guesses that it might take even longer for him to really learn Leone's metalbending tricks. Still he can tell us several details about Leone's most recent plans:

His old host bought his private wagons to collect a group of Obscurati agents and bring them to the ObsCon. He remembers some details about the people he's supposed to collect, which is why he'd just continue where Leone left. He then tells us what he knows and we discuss whom of them might be the best candidates for us to take over. We also remind Dr. Meredith that she'd have to take one life to regain a body of her own, so she and we better choose carefully as we're not really comfortable with killing an “innocent”, even if said person is an Obs officer.

Xambria Meredith thinks about the issue for a while and then decides that she would want to inhabit a female body again, with ethnicity being not so much an issue. So we read through Leone's list and find two female candidates with the Risuri Livia Hatsfield and the Crisillyiri Ines Shilubi.

We ask Grappa a bit about the two and he explains that Leone knows Livia to be a spy in Torfield Palace while Ines appears to be a bounty hunter who got quite the reknown for hunting both fey and eladrin rebels for the Clergy. And while we agree that both women are criminals, each in their own way (from treason to murder), Ines is the one with the really wicked deeds. Auryn then asks to take on Livia as she'd be less comfortable with a human or dwarf man.

“Alright then, I'll take one of the guys” says Margit with a short sigh and decides to inhabit the Clergyman known as Ken Don.

(Dare I say that we were all a bit surprised to see that there was only a single female officer among the standard roster of Obs to inhabit? That, and 5/7 being humans as well. Tiz didn't want poor Dr. Meredith to be stuck in a male body forever and he surely didn't want us to kill Livia without knowing better, so he chose one really disposable officer from the expanded list of whom he was sure that we'd hate her enough by description alone.

So if you're ever going to re-polish Zeitgeist... bring in the diversity among the playable Obs!

Oh and regarding Auryn choosing Livia... she was the most relatable for her being an elven woman. She has no trouble playing a man in her own body as seen in her Aubron of Thessaries persona, but being in a foreign body is unnerving her a lot)

Grappa then turns to the Lich to explain that we'd need one more person permanently extracted and that we'll need a bit more time to bring her here. The Lich grows a bit uneasy, but we agree to swear an ancient vow to release him as soon as we got her with us and after a bit of haggling, he finally agrees.

So we dress up as Leone's bodyguards and accompany the metalbender on his trip to get all the Obs for the conference. This way, we got enough time to study all of their mannerisms and quirks, as well as get a feeling for their personality. It doesn't change our decisions though and Carlyle finally decides to take the Drakran dwarven tower researcher, Kiov Hetman, as his host body.

(mainly because the whole tower affair seemed the most interesting background for our own information gathering)

We travel along the Avery Coast Railroad and collect them all one by one until we reach Vendricce where Ines joins the small group. As soon as the party is full, we take the next opportunity during a stay at a railway enclave to abduct our targets with the Absurdist's Web. We bring them all to Knütpara where we ask Dr. Meredith one last time regarding her decision to kill Ines. But as the woman appears to be quite the boastful murderer we expected her to be, she stands with her decision.

So we take the bounty hunter out of the Web and present her to the Lich. The ancient undead repeats the same process he did with Leone, and it takes him much effort to remove the powerful soul from her body. This time however, we let her soul slip into a splinter of ice which we melt to free her soul immediately. Carlyle then uses his experience with Dr. Meredith's soul and his powers as a spirit medium to transfer her soul from Flying Spark to Ines' body.

When she awakes in her new form, the archaeologist first moves on four limbs as she has gotten used to the faerie dragon anatomy. But then, bit by bit she remembers her time as a human, stands on her legs and realizes that this body is so much stronger than the one she used to have. She thanks all of us (not the Lich of course) with a powerful group hug and declares that she'd love to join our mission in this body. And maybe work as archaeological expert for the RHC afterwards.

Then it is finally time to release the nameless Lich. So we use the Ring of Triegenes to shatter the divine ward and break the remaining magical barrier. The Lich seems happy to be free from his prison once and for all, takes one step out of the ice and... shatters into pieces. We take quite the time to process what just happened and can only guess that someone or something must have destroyed the Lich's phylactery. Which is quite fortunate for us as we didn't have to fight him this way.

(well played! Totally subverted our expectations with this one)

Before we use our new knowledge to possess the other Ob officers, Auryn takes Carlyle aside for a private talk. When he asks her what this is about, she explains that the Obscurati conference might be a rather long event, spanning multiple days. Days in which the two of them won't be able to be close to one another as sharing intimacies as Livia Hatsfield and Kiov Hetman would be inappropriate in more than one way. Carlyle looks at her in surprise as he hadn't thought about that fact until now, but he understands that this whole situation is uncomfortable for both of them. Auryn then embraces him tightly and shares one last, passionate kiss with Carlyle before they return to Margit, Flying Spark and Dr. Meredith.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
My players were pleasently suprised that the Lich had already been sabotaged and by the Ob no less. They had been worried about him.
I hadn't considered the gender mix of the Ob identities I suspect I would have done had I had more than one female player or pc. As it was they available npc's worked out ok

I hadn't considered the gender mix of the Ob identities I suspect I would have done had I had more than one female player or pc. As it was they available npc's worked out ok

It was I think 2013 when we wrote this adventure, and I recall at the time thinking about this and assuming that most gaming groups didn't have many women, so I chose only to have one woman, since I didn't want to 'make people uncomfortable.'

My sensibilities have changed, certainly.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I think the highest number of women I have had in a gaming group was 3 women and either 3 or 4 men depending on the campaign , that was back in the 90's . Now my regular group is 4 Men and 1 Women
It's impossibel to guess what any group of gamers is going to consist of and even more impossible to predict what their characters will be,

Lylandra

Adventurer
And this from the same guy who wrote a lesbian love triangle murder mystery back in 2007 :ROFLMAO: (A damn good one I'd add!)

But from my perspective, the US playerbase then and now is still hard to grasp. My 2000's DSA/TBA groups always had at least two girls and don't get me started on our online "before" FF7 RPG group. The estrogene level was quite intense.

(As for my current D&D group? 3 guys, 3 gals from all over the globe who happened to come & live here for their studies)

Lylandra

Adventurer
(caution: long post ahead)

Thinking inside the chimney (Or: Obscon, Part1)

One by one, we retrieve the other unconscious Obscurati agents from the Absurdist's Web and let Grappa perform the ritual of possession. During this process, we learn that Kiov Hetman worked for an ancient ghost called Vicemi Terio, and that Kiov is terribly afraid of said spirit. The name Joe Pena floats in his mind as well and Carlyle understands that the guy who tried to mess up our mission in Ber could have been this very same Vicemi Terio. So we all agree that this guy is someone we should be cautious about.

Regarding Livia, we're surprised to find out that she harbors second thoughts regarding her affiliation with the Obs and that she's kind of secretly acting as a double agent. Being originally aligned with Ethelyn and skeptical about technology, she gathered information about King Aodhan and his royal powers as Monarch of the Masses, but had second thoughts about selling all of this to an unknown group of people. So she left a note for Harkover Lee detailing what she has learned and done should she not return from this convocation.

Auryn is very much intrigued about Livia's motives, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails to gain a link to the subconscious Livia sleeping inside her mind. So we decide to postpone the questioning of this interesting woman and harbor the quiet hopes that she may act as a mole in the Obs after the convocation is over.

Ken Don appears to be an overall nice guy, a librarian from the Jenevah Library who's fed up with the Clergy machine and its rules and preaching of water to the masses while drinking wine in their fancy offices. When Margit tells us about the man and his contact to Beregeron and Ottavia, we understand that Ken might be an honorable member of the Obs who truly believe that what he's doing might be best for the world.

She then complains a bit that this body feels a bit weak compared to her own and blames Ken's bookishness and lack of exercise.

“And now excuse me...” she adds “I have to learn how to relieve myself with this new... appendage. Or else I'll be instantly suspicious.”

Meanwhile, we carefully store our own bodies in the Absurdist's Web. Being slightly disturbed by this last look at our fragile selves, we hope that this convocation may be over soon so we might return to who we're used to be.

(Regarding the ritual's mechanics... we understood it but thought that there simply was too much math, RNG and numbers involved for what it was worth. Would have been easier if the game just assumed that Grappa cast the spell and then the PC has to make a saving throw depending on who they are currently possessing. I understand that the mechanics are meant to discourage players from possessing giant strength creatures, but making it inaccessible to low/mid-level players would have worked as well

Oh and we totally skipped over Oscan Ligurio... he just didn't seem interesting enough even if we knew that the Familia would have really been interested in the knowledge of this spy among their ranks.

Also, I remember someone discussing that the Mortal Possession might be abused by clever players who'd love to have more powerful physical stats. While this is surely a possibility, I highly doubt that there will be more than one player who'd leave their character's body on a regular basis. At least not as long as these are “characters” and not mere “toons” with cool numbers and abilities. I can see some character who might be upset with their own body failing them – someone very old, maimed or frail – be tempted to use the ritual for a new body, but this would be totally okay, especially as it does have moral implications. One of the reasons why I'd say that ZEIT is an AP for mentally mature players)

We then discuss where to store our bodies during the convocation. First, we talk about having them in the RHC as we might use that as a quick way of escape should things go south. But then we guess that this convention might very well take place in the Bleak Gate and Grappa is not really sure whether the soul transfer would be able to cross planar thresholds and we really don't want our souls to become stuck in the Bleak Gate. So we'd just carry them with us in the Absurdist's Web which should be fine as long as no one knows that they are inside it.

Regarding equipment, we go the safe route of storing the too powerful stuff like the Matriarch's crown or the Godmind Urn with our original bodies and go for regular weapons. Kiov hides two mundane kukris inside a dwarvish battlestaff, but he feels really clumsy using them.

(this is a short nod to his original idea of using a double sword hidden inside a walking cane. Unfortunately, double weapons, while really cool, are rarely worth all of the feats)

As soon as we feel relatively comfortable in our new bodies, we return to the inn where the other Obs officers are still sleeping. The next morning, we all board a ship near Sid Minos and travel to the island of Mutravir. There, we're brought to a run-down mansion via carriage and meet up with other Obscurati officers before being greeted by someone we really didn't expect to be here: Han Jierre. It appears as if he studied the names of all of the new arrivals beforehand as he greets every one of them individually and then explains that we'll have to cross the threshold to the Bleak Gate via iron amulet.

Then Han's assistant lights up a lantern which emits a faint glow and enables us to travel to a Bleak gate pocket, revealing an intact and very much polished mansion. The sky, however, is pitch black and the only illumination is provided by small lamps. Then Han Jierre proceeds with his security check and we do our best to appear as relaxed as we can. Everyone makes a small gasp as a shadowlisk comes close to our group and places its magic destroying gaze upon us. And to all our surprise, one of the other Obs changes in what appears to be a Godhand. The very moment this deception becomes clear, the shadowlisk appears to burn the man into a black shadow on the wall with another, radiant gaze.

(“Just a shadow on the wall...”)

Some of the Obs start to panic and we're very much disturbed by the creature and its abilities. It appears that the former-clergy-former-Godhand or his shadow are somehow still alive though and Xavier Sangria, one of our fellow Obs, immediately demands to know why they'd keep and use such a monster here as this is the opposite of what he came for.

His demands are immediately answered as a group of ghosts appear. One of them, a tattered vile looking one that Kiov recognizes as Vicemi Terio, explains that this man was a Clergy spy and that they'll surely get their answers once they'll peel himself out of his shadow. We got nothing to fear from these beasts though. He is quickly joined by another figure we know – no one else but the ghost of the deceased Mayor Macbannin who jokes that he'd expected even more spies.

Macbannin then pulls the Godhand out of his shadow and drags him off to the dungeons. We take a few moments as we finally understand why the seal of Macbannin on Cauldron Hill was weakened so much as its central component, the Mayor himself, was missing. Then we're asked to enter the mansion, but Kiov takes a few more seconds to comment on that really beautiful lighthouse right behind the mansion and talks quietly about just having to visit that one in his leisure time.

We're then being led inside and upstairs by a few servants while Margit/Ken and another Clergyman are being questioned about the spy. We don't want to look suspicious, so we leave the group and believe that she'll do just fine. We're then being assigned to rooms, and both Livia ask for one room with a lighthouse view. She, because she thinks it'd be romantic and him because, y'know, he just loves lighthouses. So we end up in the constellation we wanted to: with rooms directly next to each other.

After getting rid of our luggage, we take some time to wander through the upper floor of the mansion and come to a cozy communal room with a beautiful fireplace and stained glass windows. There, we see a person smoking leaf of Nicodemus and as we're coming closer, we're both shocked for a brief moment, as this person appears to be none else but our missing Andrei.

(Wow, this was harsh. And yep, Tiz didn't use this scene in the teaser as he wanted to play on the Andrei is missing in action mystery a bit more. Definitely made the tension level rise 100%)

Fortunately, who appears to be Andrei on the first glance notices us just a mere moment later so he doesn't catch our faces go blank for a split second. He raises his glass of wine to greet us and gestures over to the other leather chairs. With a smile, the guy introduces himself as Nicodemus, the one who summoned all of us here and asks us to sit down and talk.

Thankfully, Nicodemus is nothing alike Andrei and appears to be the same, charming and thoughtful persona when we first met him under the guise of Doro. So we can split our images of Nicodemus and Andrei quite well and manage to keep up our appearances and thank him for this invitation and opportunity to know more about our organization's true goals. Even though we deep down know that our Andrei must be trapped somewhere inside his own body, probably just as unconscious as our own hosts.

Nicodemus appears to be glad to hear that and he hints that all will be revealed with the upcoming presentations during the conference. Kiov politely asks Nicodemus whether he'd be able to visit the lighthouse during his stay. Nicodemus rubs his goatee for a moment and then promises that he'll tell the security officers to arrange a visit for the drakran expert.

“You probably should think about inviting Herrn Zoltan too, I strongly believe that he'd not want to miss this opportunity either”, Nicodemus adds.

He then excuses himself as he got more guests to attend to, but asks us to make ourselves comfortable and just ask the servants should we need anything.

(All in all this scene was pure gold. Nicodemus can appear to be that likable and charming person while at the same time you're being constantly reminded that, right now, he's abducted and possessed one of your dearest friends. Which created such a strong cognitive dissonance that you really had to think hard about how your character would act and react and think about this whole situation. It's just... wow. And it turns much harder later on)

Shortly after, Leone/Grappa joins us and mentions that he's going to enjoy the brief time he has left before his preparations to chill and drink fine wine at the fireplace. This is when we suddenly hear a loud, female voice calling out Leone's name in surprise. Unlike us, Cardinal Testamenta managed to find a servant to carry her luggage for her and now she's reacting almost gleefully once she spots dear Leone near the fireplace.

“There you are, my dearest. I'm so glad that we got the opportunity to be together again so shortly after our reunion in Vendricce.”

She then picks up a chair and places it next to the very surprised looking Leone, grabs his hand and caresses her own cheek with it. And while we still look at each other in bewilderment, it seems as if Testamenta is on the brink of making out with Leone in front of us. Leone puts up his most perfect pokerface and tries to play along, but we almost physically feel his discomfort when she kisses the poor guy and drags him off.

(Yeah, poor Grappa. Not like Testamenta is unattractive, but I don't see him as someone who'd be interested in physical relationships, lest not with a total stranger.

And now that I think about it, I'd rather paint him to be asexual with his love of making artificial children... a bit like Gepetto I guess)

So after a while, we decide that it is time to join the new arrivals downstairs to get a feeling for the other Obscurati members and find out more about their work and agenda. As we're about to move down, we suddenly see the familiar silhouettes of Luc and Ottavia on the middle level of the now illuminated lighthouse...

Downstairs, we meet up with Ken Don again who's chatting with a Pater Hevnir. The Pater thanks him for giving him access to secret information. Ken acts as shy as his persona requires and mumbles that he's just living up to the Teachings, Verse 103 where sharing is divine as long as it doesn't apply to your favorite fishing hook. He then recites a poem about hooks and the Pater moves along. Ines Shilubi catches up with the Pater as she recognizes him as an archaeologist who she accompanied to an ancient elfaivaran ruin once.

Guiscan, the bariton singer in our group, has apparently found a dragonborn fangirl who's begging him for a duet, but he doesn't seem to be so keen on performing right now. Then, we both hear a rather familiar voice as Director Zoltan hails his dear colleague Kiov Hetman. The two dwarves share a quick chat, but then Zoltan kind of forces Kiov to tell everyone a cruel anecdote about the police chief of Trekholm and his and Zoltan's dogs. Carlyle manages to remember said story from Kiov's memories, but the whole thing leaves him utterly disgusted at the thought that someone might find delight in this sort of cruelty.

Meanwhile, Livia comes across another person we know and she's very much surprised and alarmed to see none else but Catherine Romana, accompanied by her cat familiar. The two women greet each other and it seems that even Livia didn't know about the fact that Romana appears to be an Obscurati officer. Now these are dangerous news indeed.

After a while, Kiov manages to leave Zoltan and his merry dwarves and he takes some time to gather information about the other attending officers. He spots one halfling Eschatologist who appears to be taking notes on several people. He pokes the man who panics briefly and then explains the halfling that he isn't really keen on being on some godsdamned list as this kind of defeats the purpose of the Obscurati in the first place.

When the halfling doesn't see any fault in his notes, Kiov calls for the security and demands that this man should be stopped from whatever he's doing right now as he might just be another spy. As Kiov is very much insisting, the security staff summons Macbannin to clear things up. Kiov makes his point once again and Macbannin demands to see the notebook himself and orders the man to stop taking notes on other Obs. During this process, Kiov is able to get a peek into the notebook and finds that most of it is wavey, snake-like lines anyway.

Livia mingles with the other guests and gets the impression that many Ob officers use this convocation as some kind of support group regarding their shady dealings. She gathers some stories here and there which are filled with lots of unscrupulous deeds, up to making fun of murder to cover up Ob activities. Both Auryn and her Livia personality are appalled by this lack of decency, so she just moves to the background to listen.

Doing so, she bumps into Kiov again, who just started a conversation with another dwarf by the name of Erskine Haffkrüger. The dwarf talks a bit about his job as botanist doing research about the planar influence on plants, but we basically have to drag every word from his nose as if he's really not in the most talkative mood. On top of that, he appears to be quite the loner anyway.

After a while, Auryn, being a botanist herself, realizes that this guy's knowledge about plants isn't as profound as it should be. Also, the dwarf seems to be much stronger that the average dwarf, especially if one considers his presumed occupation. A few moments later, Carlyle gets used to his new, dwarf nose and smells something that seems strangely familiar, but yet not dwarven at all. He then suddenly raises his eyebrows as he realizes that this is the faint smell of both Fordren and Gradiax.

Then, it is Haffkrüger's turn to be surprised as he hears a mental note: “Didn't expect you to be here. Trying to find out more about the Obscurati?”

“Ah, the constables. Of course you are here. All of you, I guess.”

When Kiov nods briefly to Haffkrüger, then to Livia and hints that he may continue with his mental conversation, it seems as if Gradiax had just been waiting for this invitation. He quickly falls into a draconic rant about the fact that he found this dwarf among his employees who had been working for the Obscurati whilst being paid by him. So thanks for the tip. Of course he was enraged when he found out, so he squeezed every little bit of information from the dwarf before turning his brain to pudding. He then took the guise of Erskine Haffkrüger to gain personal insight into the Obs and here he is now.

All of this makes Gradiax pretty angry again, so Haffkrüger excuses himself as the long and unfamiliar trip by boat still pays a heavy toll on him.

“Just remember this, Mr. Carlyle: I WILL put an end to their organization one way or the other. So don't stand in my way when the time comes.”

Then he stomps off.

“What a strange man...” Livia says in confusion as she didn't understand how or why the botanist would suddenly become so upset.

(Not really sure how Gradiax would have managed to sneak into the convocation. As this version of him agreed to destroy the duplicant technology, he went there morphed into yet another humanoid form. I do guess that Tiz changed the way draconic polymorph works to an extraordinary ability, otherwise people like Harkover Lee would have drawn too much attention with their strong transmutation aura. Still the shadowlisk would have been able to see through this and probably the duplicant tech as well. Just dragon stuff I guess. Or a well placed mind blank.)

She doesn't have too much time to think about the dwarf though as they are soon joined by a jovial tiefling ghost by the name of Amielle Latimer. We instantly remember the name as one of the heroes who helped King Lorcan defeat the witches on Cauldron Hill over a century ago.

“It is an honor and a surprise to have such a legend among us today”, Livia says to Amielle as the real Livia should probably remember all of the stories about the risuri kings.

Amielle appears to be happy that someone finally remembers her name, so she offers us cigars and stays for a little chat. We learn that she joint the society named “the ghost council” after her death 80 years ago when Nicodemus returned her as a ghost. She doesn't know too much about this group's origins though and briefly mentions that Terio is their most senior member.

She then floats off and we're called to the grand banquet room where dinner is served. Nicodemus appears briefly and welcomes us all to the grand convocation. He teases that there will be a big reveal in the keynote speech tomorrow morning, so better not get too wasted. After all, the organization needs all of our mental agility in the upcoming day. He and the senior officers (Leone, Han Jierre, Amielle and an unknown half-elf clad in elfaivaran garments) leave dinner very quickly and it appears as if they got stuff to prepare for tomorrow. To our surprise, Lya Jierre, her brother Luc and Ottavia are missing out this night.

We return to our rooms a bit earlier than most of the other officers. Luckily, we find out that Kiov and Livia share one chimney between their rooms, so hushed conversation appears to be possible between the two rooms. We take the opportunity to recap this day's events, starting with what would be the most disturbing reveal about Andrei's fate.

We both agree that rescuing our dear friend from Nicodemus' possession would be among our top priorities, even if we cannot be sure whether regular methods of exorcism would work on such an unusual spirit like Nicodemus. Carlyle just sees one of his worst nightmares come true: That Andrei's super strength and stamina could fall out of control, even though he wouldn't have envisioned it to turn out that way. Still, we cannot risk to blow our cover yet as we need to know what the Obs are planning. Neither of us seems really content with this solution, but we understand that we need to be patient in this one.

Then we talk about our experiences with the other Obscurati and both come to the conclusion that most of these people are fishy at least and downward immoral at worst. We don't really get why they'd even join a society that would try to improve the world if they literally walk over dead bodies to complete what must be only a tiny piece of one big puzzle. Also, how blind must Ottavia and Luc have been to not see what kind of people they'd associate themselves with.

Next is the issue of Han Jierre. We wouldn't have dreamed about the possibility that the sovereign of Danor could be a member of the Obscurati, even if we know Lya to be among their ranks. We agree that this complicates matters between Risur and Danor a lot and we don't know how King Aodhan would react to this revelation. But now that we know that sovereign, nephews and niece are part of the secret society, we guess that it might be likely that being an Ob could be a Jierre family tradition.

(Ah, how perfectly spot on they were...)

Regarding Macbannin, we are not really sure about his role in this ghost council. Both Carlyle and Auryn are quite sure that he's only convincingly playing a role as the charming-but-cruel ghost we saw earlier, so we should maybe try to contact him somewhen to see whether out gut feeling is right. Still this has to be postponed until we're either more sure or can more easily risk our identities.

Last, Carlyle mentions Erskine Haffkrüger who might just be a strange ally, even though he is quite sure that this guy will cause a lot of chaos some time during the convention. When Auryn responds in confusion as she just thought him to be a not really bright botanist who might be hiding something, Carlyle drops the ball and reveals that this dwarf is just “Fordren in disguise”.

When Auryn reacts extremely surprised by this revelation and asks him how he'd know about this fact, Carlyle explains that he just had a mental exchange with the man after he smelled a faint sniff of Fordren on the dwarf. Which leaves Auryn speechless for a moment.

“So... you were the one who contacted him? How?” she asks, still in confusion.

“I talked to him telepathically.”

“You... what?! Then tell me, why are we talking through a chimney again?”

“Umm... maybe because it is romantic?”

“Maybe it is. But even then... why didn't you tell me about this ability? We're on a secret undercover mission and this would be a very handy thing to use. Also, does he know about me and my identity?”

Realizing that Auryn is hiding some sour tone right now, Carlyle promises that he'll be available for telepathic communication from now on, so she'd just need to give him a hint that she needs to talk. He also confirm that Fordren/Gradiax will most likely know who she is right now and that we'll have to see how things will turn out. He'd keep an eye on Erskine for any kind of trouble, that much he promises.

“Well, that's a start. But I have to sleep now. Good night.”

(Ouch. This one really hurt her a lot and it came on top of everything that happened that day – Andrei, the Jierres and Macbannin. Basically, Carlyle hat pulled a Delft on her despite that fact that there were lovers and shared everything. Remember that one time where Carlyle forgot to tell Delft that he could teleport and both of them ended up in the Duke of Slaughter's assassination attempt? Delft was furious, but Delft was merely his boss.

This time, Carlyle had not only not told Auryn that he could talk telepathically – we used this perk of the 4e version of the Spirit Medium – but he also used this ability to contact Fordren of all people without telling her beforehand. And waited the whole evening to tell her about his presence at the convocation. Oh and yes, knowing about it would have come in handy when we prepared our secret identity mission. So having one royally pissed Auryn as the result is kind of understandable. And this is just where the rift of adventure 7 starts to crack...

Regarding Gradiax, she wasn't really sure whether he would keep his promise to Risur should the Obscurati plan turn out to be valuable enough for him to hijack. Auryn hoped that this wouldn't happen, but she didn't rule out the possibility that her old enemy would make a face-heel-turn and try become leader of the Obs...

Oh and for the post's title: )

Last edited:

Remove ads