ZEITGEIST Tizbiz Zeitgeist Campaign

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
It's interesting that your assesment of Nicodemus is pretty much the same as my players. But your party did make the morale choice I expected my players too, possibly my biggest suprise was when they made no effort to save the Ob officers. Instead just rescuing the God Hand and escaping, they were never sure if it was the right thing to do or not he was a fanatic which made him useful against the Ob but they knew it would come back to haunt them and it did.

I look forward to the decisions about the planar alignments , it is interesting that at this stage my players were solid for the planar barrier but in the end decided to abandon it. Although as a group they were at this stage less keen on staging things than you were .

Lylandra

Adventurer
Trying to rescue the Obs was definitely a risk, and not part of the mission, so I totally understand how your party made their choice. And yep, we also didn't know whether rescuing Vitus was going to fall back on us someday as to this point we've never met a decent Godhand. Tiz' personal dislike for rigid religious authorities might have played into their portrayal, but there they were and we already did our best to help Gene, so... ;)

Our real assessment of Nic started to really take form during adventure 8 when we learned more about his past. He's a very complicated man who can be utterly charming and benevolent, who has brilliant but slightly delusional ideas and who unfortunately has more than just a few streaks of narcism and unscrupulousness in his personality.

Regarding the planar barrier and our planar plans... well, this duo loved to have more than one backup plan and usually tries to play it as safe as possible. We even got one backup just in case the ritual goes completely awry and our world ends up shattered in the Gyre graveyard...

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I think my players also had a greater concern about Nicodemus being in a position to fight which made the balance of threat seem bad to them.
I also liked Macbennin managing to survive, he was banished to they Gyre in my game but like you the players felt he had proved himself a loyal patriot so they made sure to erect a statue to him to honour his memory.
Nic is a very interesting villain very much a man with grand anf good objectives but the problem lies in implementing them his methods and his competence are both suspect, a nice change from the usual villains.

Lylandra

Adventurer
A future uncertain: My dearest friend

Once we're back in private, Carlyle stresses out that he won't the one to manipulate Kasvarina as this would just be wrong and against everything he believes in. So he asks Auryn to stay true to her creed as well as he knows that she is quite adept at influencing other people, which is really not a big deal with regular people but could prove to be fatal with someone who's in such a blank state.

In response, Auryn looks at Carlyle with wide, disbelieving eyes.

“Of course I won't use my powers on her. How can you believe that I would use my family as a tool? We're on the same side here, all I want is to help her remember what she has lost. I fully trust in our familial bonds and my ability to bring her light and happiness so she can see that she didn't lose everything when Grappa wiped her memory.”

She then falls quiet until we return back to Flint. There, Auryn brings up the subject of the attack on the Vantrys estate again and points out that Macbannin had given his evidence to “the Guardian”, so we should maybe contact Dawkins before we leave. Oh and don't you dare try to brush off the matter again, Gabriel.

(One way of exiting out of the Kasvarina and her troubles with Carlyle topic ;) )

Carlyle seems content with this short detour and so Auryn tries to send a sending to Dawkins to announce our coming visit to his home. However, she gets no reply from her friend and her face turns to ashen white as this had been exactly how the troubles with Andrei and his disappearance had begun.

So we both hurry to the Dawkins estate to ask if everything is alright with the Rear Admiral. Fortunately, Milena is present and can give us an all-clear as dear Morris just had yet another exacerbation of Yerasol-Malaria and is currently sleeping. She is a bit worried though as he has never had symptoms this severe, but the doctor was quite sure that he'll suffer no lasting damage.

Just as she finishes this sentence, we hear rumbling noises from upstairs. So Milena gives us the permission to enter Morris' room as she understands that we would clearly want to see him. Once we enter his room, we find Morris at full consciousness, albeit in a weak condition. He smiles slightly as soon as he sees us and excuses himself for being unable to get up yet even though he wishes he'd be in his office right now.

We explain that we just returned from a delicate mission, but have certain information we'd want to share with him. Then, we tell him about the weakened seal of Macbannin and that we found the root and probably the solution for this problem: Macbannin himself. Or rather his ghost. This give Dawkins a good laugh, as this would have been the most logical explanation of all. Then we explain the matter of the Planar Seal and how it came to be. Now this is something that worries Dawkins deeply, but he asks us to continue first as we clearly got more to tell him first.

So we ask him whether he would still have some dark information from Macbannin he had found with a dying man several years ago. Dawkins raises an eyebrow in return as if he had never thought that someone would ever mention these documents again.

“Yes, I still keep them safely stored. But alas, I gave that man the promise that no matter what I would only hand them out on his direct, personal request. So please understand that I would need something from Macbannin that qualifies as that sort of 'request'”

Of course we understand that such matters are quite serious for people like him, so we agree to get a written permission from Macbannin for the documents. Dawkins then explains why he would be so worried regarding the Planar Seal: One day ago, he was struck with an intense pain and the feeling as if the threshold between our world and the Dreaming was on fire. He collapsed, but in his subconscious mind, he then remembered that pain from a previous incarnation who had felt the same fire two centuries ago.

We put the pieces together and explain that it is very likely that two hundred years ago, some Obscurati might have tried to manipulate the seal and failed, which caused the dragons to lose their flight. So someone could already be at the ritual location and make first tests for the real one.

“This... also reminds me of an ancient, mythical tale of the Dreaming. One that existed before my first self was even born. Once there was a time when the Dreaming was limitless, borderless. We were and we were all that was. If what you say about the original state of this world is true, then maybe there is more to that myth than we thought...” Dawkins muses.

“Those must have been days of wonder... oh how I wish to see the world through the eyes of my youth again. So much that we have left behind. How I miss being simply the Commander of the Aurora, sailing with my crew to unknown shores. It was then when I first met you, my dear. I remember it like it happened yesterday”

With these words, Morris gently touches Auryn's cheek, a gesture that she promptly returns by placing her hand on his and smiling with her warmest of smiles.

“Just get well soon. And then we'll make sure to voyage again one day.”

“...and the first time I've seen your dance... even though you're standing right beside me, I can see you clearly prancing through the ballroom, turning everyone's heads.”

He laughs again softly and Auryn promises that next time she will be in Flint and not be on a pressing mission, she will return here and dance just for Morris Dawkins, her dear friend. But for now, we have to find Kasvarina and will be leaving the country soon. Dawkins wishes us good luck and adds that he'll make sure he's in his office and back to work soon.

Just as we're about to leave, we both suddenly see the brief vision of a radiant figure floating amidst a raging storm. We then go downstairs and say goodbye to Milena who is clearly not happy that everyone is so obsessed with work that they neglect their personal needs. And the moment we're finally leaving the estate, she briefly takes Carlyle aside and asks him in a whisper whether Auryn is alright as she seems strangely distant, like she was slowly erecting a wall around her.

“I know you two are close, and I am happy for you. But... something isn't right. She is more vulnerable than you'd think, and she needs someone she can open up to. I know now that Morris has always been that person for her, but with you being away on missions and all of that, I fear that we all might lose her...”

Carlyle seems a bit surprised at first, but he then nods to Milena and thanks her for her interesting insight. He then catches up with Auryn and as soon as they have left the estate, says that he is quite worried about Morris' condition. When Auryn replies that Morris is quite used to this depletion of his power and has always recovered from his fevers, Carlyle explains that something is different this time, something he had seen quite a few time in his long, previous life: That a person would become strangely sentimental and reminiscent near the end of their lifespan. As if they were looking back fondly at their memories to relive them just once more.

Auryn reacts pretty shocked to this revelation and doesn't know what to say. Instead, she just shakes her head in disbelief.

“No, no, this cannot be. He is so... strong, I've never seen anyone like him, and it is not like he's an old man yet. He has always recovered and I do believe with all of my heart that he will recover this time as well. I... don't want to think about living without him.”

Carlyle takes Auryn's hand in response as he understands that right now she doesn't even want to consider the possibility that this incarnation of the Old Stag may come to an end in the not too far future.

“I didn't want to frighten you. And what do I know about the lifespans of mortal fey incarnations? He may be decades away from his parting.”

(Remember her troubles with death? Imagine how the death of someone who is very dear to Auryn would affect her. She managed to deal with people dying, but just thinking about a friend's death gives her shivers)

With these last words, we return to our home without bringing up the subject again or even speak another word at all.

(What a way to finish adventure 7! Told you, it would end on a rather low key. Most of their personal issues will be resolved in the next bridge episode, so I won't talk about the background of this too much.

So, what can I say about this module from our perspective as players? Overall, we were really excited to finally get some background on the Obscurati plans. And my, what bold plans do they have! Nicodemus' revelation of the planar seal at the convocation and the whole crazy planar shenanigans of Lanjyr being connected to this were bombastic ideas. And as this was already revealed midway through the campaign, it opened up myriads of possible directions the campaign could take. I just wish that more modules would allow themselves to be as bold as this, as you'd usually see such a big reveal only during the final adventure.

I also very much enjoyed the portrayal of Nicodemus here, as we got to experience many facets of his persona. Usually, you can rarely get up close with your antagonist and by letting us play as his confidents, we were able to see both his softer spots and his deep flaws. From a storytelling point of view, this was just a fantastic move. I also really loved how our characters and the antagonists compare (especially Nic and Kas), and are very much similar to some extend. This was purely coincidental, but it also added a lot of depth and would, I believe, very much work in a novelized version.

What also worked really well was Tiz' use of additional material and letting us just do our thing at the convocation. From my personal perspective as a player, this was very much needed and staying sctrictly on script would have frustrated both of us. We know that the main point of the convocation is exposition, but the players need to be able to have more impact if they want to. This included the addition of a list of the actual planes that are used in each proposal, and a rough description of what they are doing in this setup. Again thanks to @arkwright for providing the list. Which was necessary to make our own improvements on the Miller's Pyre setup and develop the Brave New World plan. Also, ideally the future changes of the world would reflect on the results of the final vote of the convocation, of course with a twist as Nic doesn't know whether or not he's been duped into accepting a proposal with a backdoor from the RHC agents. But I get that this would be hard to implement as there could be a large number of likeable outcomes.

What was a bit disappointing was the role of Luc Jierre, or rather the lack thereof, and I get that this was due to the combined effect of the module being unsure whether he was still alive, switched sides or stayed loyal to the Ob at this point and the fact that Tiz didn't want to screw things up by having too many wild-cards, so he focused more on the "big ones" like Gradiax, who I believe deviates a lot from his original at this point. I truly believe that ZG, even though it would be much harder to implement corretly, could have benefitted from the more free floating choices of WotBS, like with the appearance and stance of Shalosha. A sentence or two would have been enough to give the DM a bit more direction on a possible recurring character here. Same with Lya Jierre.

Oh and in retrospect, I am a bit amused that the players obtaining the Humble Hook is really brushed over at that point. Usually, we were expected to turn in any kind of treasure we found to the officials. And we found this invaluable artifact on an official mission from our enemy faction. By real RAW, I suppose we were to hand it over to Delft, but... none of us really thought about it as that Hook clearly wanted to stay with Auryn. I love these kinds of "growing" artifacts by the way :) )

Last edited:

Yeah, I really love your duo's dynamic and how it has parallels with Nicodemus and Kasvarina.

And now you're going to Elfaivar. I've actually sent the Elfaivar section of the upcoming setting book to a sensitivity reader who has a PhD in Indian literature, because I'm eager not to fall into bad tropes, and I recognize I exoticized the place previously.

In the meanwhile, I'm about to start a short online game set in Elfaivar - nothing too serious; it just has a fair bit of ruined old cities that are good for adventuring. The plot I have in mind involves a group of Clergy bounty hunters pursuing a murderer who is seeking refuge among the enemies of the Clergy, and happens to stumble across a demiplane magical workshop from old Elfaivar that requires three keys to open. The search for those keys will take the PCs to the three main factions of new Elfaivar, and they'll have a chance to decide the fate of the (charming, helpful) fugitive murderer, as well as which faction gets their hands on the workshop, which can create beings like the ten-headed lion of Sentosa.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Ooh, that sounds interesting! I guess that the adventure is meant to be set in your post-ZG setting? So I'm pretty curious to see which "default world" you would envision after the events of the original campaign. It will most likely differ a lot from ours though in my headcanon it could be possible to have (and toy with) multiple universes each with their own "new Lanjyr". (I've been a bit on a Star Trek trip lately but one could easily envision even something as crazy as a mirror-Lanjyr where Elfaivar has won the Great War, the Vekeshi are a secret police agency and Risur is the aggressor in the Risuri-Danoran conflict while Miller and Millerism reformed Crisillyir into being a tolerant beacon of hope for humanity)

The ten-headed lion was a pretty neat creation and would have been a far longer (still memorable) encounter if not for the quick intervention of Asrabey and Carlyle. And yep, our second trip to Elfaivar was a real highlight.

Using a sensitivity reader is a good idea as well. I didn't find anything too obvious, but as a central european, I am no expert on Indian culture, and our own vision of the region was highly influenced by my own ideas which were formed when I had only access to the PG (which mentioned both India and Japan, if I remember correctly). So I guess we didn't have the 100% by the book Elfaivar anyway. For me, there were only two aspects that didn't fit as they used a bit problematic tropes: The original Ananta Paudha, which would on top have allowed any man, not just Eladrin to visit it (no, just... no! I'll explain more details about everything wrong with this element in the Sentosa chapter) and the "fallen Naaru syndrome" where you'd have more far more female Eladrin NPC than male ones up until adventure 8.

For my own design preferences, I tend to borrow, maybe reference, but not directly carbon-copy ideas from existing cultures and I try to avoid borrowing too many negative or stereotypical aspects. Like, say, referencing the story of Draupadi, or aspects of a traditional Hindu wedding ceremony, like the holy flame or the vows. Also, the original (fantasy) content needs to be larger than the referenced material. In the end, my parts of the reagion were based on the question how a non-european, but still fey-touched society could work that went from being pretty egalitarian and slightly xenophobic to a utalitaristic matriarchy after the turbulent events of the Malice. Still don't know what a person with an indian background would think of it.

Last edited:

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
Basing any part of any fantasy setting off a real world culture is complicated. I am totally insensitive to the usual fuss about this but I still think it is complicated because of the difference between reality and the fantasy world. In this case firstly the Eladrin are not human which means particularly given their long lifespan their culture will be different than any human culture, next Gods and Magic are real and demonstrable this will have a huge effect on the culture and make it differ from its real world analog. Belief in your faith is one thing but works very differently when your priest can actually perform miracles. As each RW culture we look at is derived from many changes and permutations over the years these are going to be so different when the nature of the world is so different, in particular the changes to religions and their replacement with new ones is going to be a lot harder when the priests can talk to their god and call on his power.

The past few years, I've played in a series of RPG campaigns using the Legend of the Five Rings setting (L5R, which is yes, probably what my brain was thinking about when I came up with the name Elfaivar). That setting is basically fantasy feudal Japan, complete with its own version of Bushido, cultural conventions that are pretty similar to what we typically see in 'samurai cinema' (even if that was only the norm during a century or so), and the whole aesthetic of katana, kimono, origami, and so on. It even uses some actual Japanese deities as 'fortunes' you can get blessings from. And yeah, the game is created primarily by white men in America.

But I haven't heard anyone complain about it (or at least, the current edition) as being insensitive or mocking. It uses cultural touchstones westerners are familiar with and introduces elements many Americans and Europeans might not know about, and then uses that as a jumping off point for telling stories about characters who are as real and believable as you'd see in any other setting. It doesn't seem to be derogatory to Japan, or trying to suggest that this fantasy world is somehow indicative of what modern Japanese people are like -- no more so than if, say, someone made a Downton Abbey RPG, and played to the tropes of that show.

I contrast that a bit with, say, how Pathfinder handled their 'Africa' analogue in the original setting guide. It was basically two biomes: knock-off Egypt (complete with the literal gods of Egypt) and 'darkest Africa' (a big jungle, with a 'Gorilla King,' and a few lost cities). In the second edition they've made an effort to actually, like, populate it with extant civilizations that are actually connected to the rest of the world and not just exotic backwaters.

When I designed ZEITGEIST originally, Elfaivar certainly was the least developed, and I hope as I try to correct that, the result doesn't look artificial or inconsistent with the rest of the world. You finished the campaign, right? Well, don't spoil the ending for me (haha), but in the canon we're going with, someone chose to resurrect the women killed in the Great Malice, which has three main consequences:

1. Internally, Elfaivar goes from having a sex ratio skewed in favor of men to something like a 10:1 ratio in favor of women.

2. Internationally, Elfaivar now is able to defend itself, and other countries don't know how to respond to the sudden shift in power, especially since they're not sure how fast the elves (this is 5e, so eladrin are back to being elves) will become a great power.

3. Politically, there's
a. one faction led by Athrylla that feels that Vekeshi's philosophy succeeded, and so the right course of action is to rejoin modern global society as a peer nation, open to trade and new technology;
b. and one faction led by a resurrected young woman named Adin who wants to reclaim lost territory through a mix of military alliances (with Risur and Danor) and military conquest (against Crisillyir and its colonies), while trying to rekindle traditional culture and rejecting modern industry;
c. and a final faction led by a very aged Dhebisu (who had the magical arsenal) who wants to keep the country a bit cut off from the rest of the world, encouraging the sense many foreigners have of Elfaivar being mysterious and unknowable, all while using underhanded tactics to put potential rivals against each other while Elfaivar regains its strength.

Anyway, don't let me deflect from your story.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Ah yes, L5R... I don't know too much about it, but Tiz is a huge fan of the setting and the system. While I'm very obviously an anime fan, play JRPGs and am interested in japanese culture, I've never been drawn towards it. Maybe because the closeness is too much for my personal taste (I'd also never wanted to play in a game world that's too reminiscent of, say, the Holy Roman Empire or the Crusades, even though I would play Downton Abbey or Jane Austen. Which is weird, I know ;) )

And no worries, I am quite interested in your canon future and some parts look quite familiar.

Lylandra

Adventurer
A future uncertain: Gabriel and Auryn

As soon as we return back to Carlyle's house in Stray River, he asks Auryn what's wrong with her as she is clearly not her usual self right now. But she just shakes her head and says that she's worried about Morris Dawkins' health and fears that there might be some truth in what Gabriel said earlier.

“I understand.” Gabriel replies, “but that's not all. And I am not the only one who sees that you are acting distant and troubled. Would you tell me about it?”

He then leads Auryn to a comfy couch and quickly brews a herbal tea. Auryn stays silent for a few moments, and then explains that to her, everything seems uncertain right now. To such an extend that she fears she cannot paint a clear picture of her future anymore. She states that wherever she may be heading now could lead her to both the brightest happiness and the deepest misery, and this is really frightening to her. She then adds that on top of that, after all that has happened during the last couple of days, she is being torn between “Risur” (or rather King Aodhan and his orders) and Elfaivar (or rather her family).

“I already thought it would affect you that way.”

“But that's not all. I thought about my stance, and came to the conclusion that my whole existence, the reason why I was born, was to secure our people's survival. It is my duty to give my all for the Eladrin, even if that meant that I have to sacrifice everything. So... under the worst circumstances, we may even find ourselves on different sides, and that thought breaks my heart. Even though I know that this is very unlikely and I do hope that this will never happen as I love Risur and I consider it to be my new home.”

Carlyle lets this sink in for a while. Then he replies that he can see where she is coming from and that her arguments are nothing he can dismiss. However, he asks her to consider that as an RHC agent, and sort-of confidant of the King, she has gained insight into some very deep secrets of the state, inside knowledge that would be able to harm Risur should she choose to side with Elfaivar and be in conflict with Risur.

“I'd even go so far to say that you could be potentially dangerous for Risur with all that knowledge. I don't see you going there, as not everyone manages to pass the loyalty check of the RHC, but if you really fear that you may break with Risur, you should seriously consider quitting before it is too late.”

She takes a heavy breath before directly stating that she doesn't wish to head into that direction and merely trying to assess the extreme possibilities. Which means that she by no means wishes to choose between the two nations. It is just that the last meeting with King Aodhan gave her reasons to think about her own stance. But that, if all was in her own hands, she'd do everything to forge a close bond between Risur and Elfaivar so their nations could stand side by side.

“That's at least what I was trying to achieve over the last couple of months.”, she adds with a sad voice. “It wasn't anything official, but I envisioned myself to be an emissary of both nations, to build these bridges you encouraged me to see. But all of this isn't enough. Not with the threat of Crisillyir on the horizon.”

“Now that sounds more like you”, Carlyle says and squeezes her hand in encouragement.

“Working hard, never giving up, being an example for us all. Not merely a hooded figure pressing a switch on a secret island to reset our world.”

“Kasvarina has been walking this 'rocky path' for over 500 years... and I am...”

“You are not her. For you, it would still be the easy route. I understand your point, but try to understand where Kasvarina's path has led her. This isn't where yours should end, too.”

Auryn nods slowly and sighs. She then adds that, without making a major change, she is very certain that nothing will ever change between Crisillyir and Elfaivar. Not without being able to radically shift the perspective of the people of Crisillyir. Once, she had the hope that after so many human generations the Crisillyiri would have changed. But every person she's met so far had proven that those who remained part of the nation harbored the same hatred and prejudice as the people who caused the Malice. Thus showing little interest in seeing or even understanding the perspective of Elfaivar.

Carlyle agrees without hesitation, but he continues that he doesn't believe that even a reset of the world would cause them to change overnight. From his own experience, the Hierarchs of the Clergy have little contact to people outside their spheres, so they have no reason to cease their fanaticism anytime soon, even if they were equipped with the power of empathy.

(Oh my, that would make one terrifying echo chamber...)

After all, this fanaticism had been the reason why he left Crisillyir behind and became a Risuri. Regarding Elfaivar, he swears that he will protect the land with his life should Crisillyir dare to attack her people ever again and not simply try to settle on empty land. He then muses that after all he has seen in the Crypta, he cannot be sure whether or not the Clergy has already been corrupted by demonic influence or other dark forces as no feeling creature would treat an angel like Linia the way these people did.

“And that's only the tip of the iceberg. They experiment with Deva and use them as divine vessels, they summon undead specters from the Bleak Gate, imprison the innocent and infuse the souls of devils into people who simply know too much. Their actions are despicable.”

In response, Auryn touches the small fishing hook hanging on the necklace around her neck. She guesses that this corruption might have been the reason why the Hook abandoned the Clergy in the first place. Despite the fact that history claimed it had been stolen, it might even be an expression of Triegenes' rejection of the Crisillyiri teachings.

(And this is a question we couldn't find an answer to. Did Kasvarina kill the Hierarch who carried it and gave it to Nicodemus? Or was that assassination story a completely made up myth and the Hook chose Nicodemus as he was the only clergyman with a fitting personality?)

“And isn't it ironic that it came to me? Maybe Triegenes has a twisted sense of humor, but I also feel that it couldn't bear the true nature of Nicodemus and his ideas anymore. “

Now Gabriel smiles warmly at her.

“I don't know what happened between you, Nicodemus and the Hook, but I see this as a sign that maybe you should continue on your own path. It has chosen you, not him or Kasvarina.”

He then continues to discuss Nicodemus and assumes that, as he is most likely a disillusioned Crisillyiri himself, he could give us some pretty interesting insights into both structure and problems of the Clergy. Maybe it was the same reason that drove him and Nicodemus away from the Clergy, so they could even share the same perspective.

Auryn chuckles a bit and agrees that this would be quite the experience. Even though she isn't sure whether Nicodemus would consider this proposal as it would mean a risk for him. Gabriel explains that this exchange could be purely conducted by magical message, so no risk involved.

"Then, why not? Actually, I've already thought about asking Nicodemus to let go of Andrei via sending. There should be enough Obs who are willing to play their master's host.”

“I understand where you are coming from. But I think that we're in a tough situation here, as we also 'got' something that he wants: Kasvarina. And we'll both agree that leading him to her is out of question.”

He then takes a deep breath and continues:

“Even though... it could be the morally right thing to do. Andrei is an innocent bystander, he is not a part of this conflict. While Kasvarina... well, she somehow brought this upon herself I guess. After all, she is maybe the second or third in the Obscurati hierarchy.”

Auryn nods slowly and says that she understands his thought. Even if Kasvarina is a part of her family and maybe the only one who can give them more insight into the Obscurati and their plans. Still it was the issue of Kasvarina that shocked her so much during the meeting with King Aodhan and his entourage.

To this, Gabriel raises an eyebrow as he thought she would have been more content with the King's order. Which is why he issued his objection in the first place.

“No, why would I?” Auryn responds, really irritated this time. “I just didn't want to cause any more ruckus. It is as I said: All I wish to do is to show Kasvarina that despite everything that has happened and whatever she may have done, she still has a family. And even though she will have more than a fair share of scars, she needs to know that life in all of its facets can still be wonderful and worth living.”

“It is indeed. And it seems like you're never too old to learn that important lesson.”

He smirks slightly and then adds that there are a lot of issues he himself will have to tackle once the Obscurati threat is dealt with. Starting with Crisillyir and his relationship to the rather disturbing situation in the land that was once his home.

Auryn takes this as an unexpected opportunity to ask Gabriel whether these thoughts would include her, too, and whether he has settled on his feelings toward her. Which apparently really takes him by surprise.

“It isn't me who regularly questions our relationship or doubts if he's on the right path when there's trouble on the horizon or whenever we don't share the same opinion.”, he says calmly, but with a grain of sadness.

Which in turn surprises Auryn as she was previously the one who felt shut off. Nevertheless, she proceeds with her train of thought and explains that her possession of Livia Hatsfield allowed her to peek into the woman's inner working and compare her emotions to her own. Which has led her to the conclusion that she is indeed capable of and currently experiencing the feeling of love for him. As surprising as that may sound for a person who was raised with the notion that love was unnecessary to fulfill your duty.

To her continued surprise, Gabriel seems very little surprised by these “news”.

“So I hope that realization brought you more clarity.”

Auryn nods, but she seems slightly unhappy by his response.

(Again, they are still prone to miscommunication. Of course Auryn loves him, but she is still influenced by the thought that this would be a very daring, almost forbidden move and hopes that he'd encourage her by making a bold move himself.

Of course Carlyle loves her, but he has been certain of his commitment for a while and he is prone to being all private about his feelings. So he prefers to make passive statements that indirectly reflect his true thought. He just wished that she was being less turbulent and more stable. Also, he is very much not used to being close and has to remind himself that you'd need a bit more continual closeness in a working relationship.)

“Please don't think that there is a problem for me with us not having the same opinion. I just... sometimes feel as if there is so much that's more important to you. And that you don't really believe in me or my ideas.”

“But this isn't true!”

“And then there is the issue of Fordren. I know that he has been quite useful in providing information, and that he helped us all escape from Mutravir. But he's still giving me headaches and now he is taking more and more root in our inner circles. In places where I thought my fiercest allies resided. Like he's slowly unraveling my network of defense. A network that...”

“Yes?”

“...that first and foremost includes a matriarch's husbands. Or future husband, in my case. As you know, my power and safety depend on others, and the husband is the last and most important part of defense. Only that Fordren doesn't know about your stance towards me. You even preferred him.”

This time, it is as if Gabriel is caught completely flat-footed. He takes a few moments to think about the whole issue, and finally signals that he understands Auryn's point.

“Ah... I see. So this is still about your power struggles with him? I didn't even know I had a role in all of this. But now it is much clearer to me. Rest assured that I do not prefer him, and my promise towards you still stands. But there is one fact that you're missing in your equation: That he and his power are as dependent on somebody else as you are.”

He then explains that, being a dragon, Gradiax was only able to survive because he bowed down before King Boyle and accepted the pact. And in this line, he is still dependent on King Aodhan's good will. Especially if he does want to play a role in the grand conflict of this generation. Still he was as unnerved as Auryn to see him appear in the King's council as even though he is a state secret, he doesn't need to have access to all other secrets of the state.

Auryn agrees and is able to see Gabriel's logic. But she also reminds him that despite the recent development, Fordren is still directly responsible for the suffering she had to endure, during what was easily described as the worst time of her life. And this wold in turn be something that Gabriel should be able to relate to, even if his scars stem from a different beast.

She then returns back to her traditions and explains that she is treading on completely unknown ground right now which is why she has to be absolutely certain to not follow the wrong path. Especially as she is making big sacrifices for her personal relationship, sacrifices that do not only include her, but her people as well.

Now Gabriel squeezes Auryn's hand again as he tries to encourage her to walk further.

“And do not believe that you are the only one who is in unknown territory. As you know, I haven't changed that much over centuries. After... well, I made sure to keep people at a safe distance. Change is... scary, I have to admit. But I try to accept changes in my life, I try to change myself and challenge my stances. Like living alone in a home far too big for one person. And now you're living here with me. I even let Teraklir stay despite the fact that I know that she's a brat. And a literal dragon. So in the end I think we both simply need some time. And this is something we both have plenty of.”

He then looks straight at her with a gaze both stern and pleading.

“Just please don't doubt us every time you're feeling off track. So far, I don't hesitate, but if you keep doubting, then maybe I will someday start having doubts as well. And that is no place I'd want to go.”

Auryn shakes her head in response and expresses that she, too, doesn't want to doubt as all she wants is one happy future. She then offers Gabriel to show her a vision of such a possible future and it appears as if he is quite curious to see it.

So Auryn concentrates a while on a spell and releases an illusion that fills the whole room. In this vision, an older version of herself is sitting in a room decorated with elfaivaran ornaments and decorum. She is wearing the dress of a matriarch and busy writing notes while sitting next to a stack of various papers. After a while, the door to the room opens and sunlight falls in. Then Gabriel enters the room, holding a small boy in his arms while being accompanied by a slightly older girl. What is quite remarkable is that he is also wearing the insignia of the governor of Flint. He then asks his dearest whether she is ready to depart and then casually talks about his afternoon tea with the Vantrys family. Auryn states that she is indeed ready, as she just finished her big speech for the peace treaty that is to be signed today. So after all this time of hard work, she finally managed to become the architect of peace she always wanted to be. She stresses out that this was only possible due to their combined work and the bold moves of the Alliances of Ber and Risur which made the political pressure on Crisillyir strong enough so they would yield. Auryn then takes her notes and joins her husband while telling her kids that they will be off on an important journey, so they'll have a lot of time to play in the garden of the Dawkins or fly with auntie Gale.

“What a wonderful, beautiful vision. I'd even say it was quite humble.” Gabriel comments with a warm voice.

Regarding this vision Auryn explains that she wants nothing more than to secure the future of her people. And being the Matriarch of Flint would enable her to be there for both Risur and Elfaivar while being the link that could connect both nations. Her enclave and the covenant enclave would be a good first step towards a better understanding between Risur and Elfaivar. For Gabriel, she says, she could envision him to be the next governor of Flint should this job be vacant any time soon or should the King feel the need for a fresh breeze.

Gabriel agrees that he wouldn't reject the offer should King Aodhan ask him eventually. He also encourages Auryn to continue with her enclave plans as this would be a wonderful place where the Risuri could learn more about Elfaivar, a place that would be “just a far off place” for most Risuri right now.

“Just promise me to tell me in advance should you feel that your loyalties for Elfaivar and Risur come into conflict. Your knowledge must never be a threat for Risur.”

“Agreed. But I will do everything that's in my power to make sure this will never happen. Even if I'll have to butt heads with some higher-ups in the process.”

She then chuckles and adds “And even if you are still one tough nut to crack when it comes to showing or even allowing yourself to feel emotions.”

To which Gabriel wraps his arms around Auryn and tilts his head to hers.

“You know that change needs time. Especially when I am involved. And this tough nut needs the occasional crack, so please feel free to continue cracking.”

(Yep, this was really just a one and a half hours long dialogue between the two. Which really helped to clean the mess both of them were stuck in after the convocation.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases