To Con the Con-man

Axel

First Post
As first Alexander, the Tio passed Hera and Alden on the stairs, Alden smiled a little to himself. Didn't even know Lord High-and-Mighty knew the words "thank you".

As Tio passed, he said "He's headin' for th'pub and the servant I think. I 'as a hunch... Would y'mind entering through the stables 'n' checkin' on 'is 'orse? We'll be a bit further be'ind..."

Huffing and puffing with the effort of helping Hera down the stairs he thought to himself,
helping a half-giant down stairs in full bloody combat getup is harder than it sounds...and it don't sound easy!

Alden pauses in the living space on the first level to catch
his breath he takes the opportunity to look around, checking to see if there are any portraits of the half-elf on the wall while making small talk with Hera. "So, umm...what brings ya t'this travesty of a town?" he asks, realising he knows next to nothing about the huge lady.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The group exits the tower and finds a crowd of onlookers. They ask if there is a fire and when they find out that there is none most move on.

In the crowd is Padre Gole. The old man watches carefully as the group nears him. Seeing them in bad shape he offers to heal their wounds for them and then what had happened.

With the fresh air to help the ash finally leaves Hera's eyes and the young amazon can see once more. Then her wounds are healed and she feels better than she has in days.

When Alex asks after the servant the crowd looks around and shake their head. Nobody knows where he went until...

A young girl steps forward and says to the group shyly. "I saw the man that first came from the tower walk that way." she says pointing down the road to the back of Rem. "And I thought I saw his ears grow while he walked. Honest I did."

OCC: Alex gets a little insight. Disguise Self. :p

OCC2: Time of day getting really late. Hour maybe two till dark.

Megan Voss

First Post
megan-voss-albums-hera-off-war-thread-picture1483-hera.jpg
: Alden tried for small talk as he lifted her down the stairs. She couldn't blame him. Things had gotten very strange, very quickly in the past hour. Truth was, she wasn't sure she was ready for just a normal conversation just yet. Her mind was still full of danger, smoke, mephits, and mages. She managed a meager reply,

"Sometimes. I ask myself that same question."

She didn't smile. Not even after they had seen to her wounds and recovered her sight. Granted, her eyes and lungs still burned from the ash and smoke, but it was a small price to pay for getting everyone out alive. It even sounded like the half-elf had managed an escape as well.

She sat on the ground now, in a bad temperment, and trying to ignore the crowd of onlookers. Adrenaline still leaving her, headache in full swing, and alien blood still wet on her sword. Hera couldn't help but notice that she no longer smelled very good either. Fighting in a burning tower did that to you, I suppose. Left you smelling like a campfire. Her hair would suffer from that for days.

She hadn't learned much either. The artifact she had come seeking was no longer in a convient place setting. Either destroyed, misplaced, or carried on the mages person now. The poor Paladin hadn't much choice. She would need to continue forward in pursuit of the elf. Which meant accompanying these strange "soldiers" for an even greater duration than was previously suppected.

Hera kicked a rock across the ground and cursed under her breath. Her God was playing with her still. This quest could go on for weeks. Months even. ...Oh gosh? Maybe even years.

"I can't allow that. Perhaps it's time I learned my limits. Whatever small trinket the village required is now long lost to them. I will return and declare the deed to be done. Like it or not. I'm getting out while I still can."

The large amazon rose to her feet and shouldered her blade. She was content to leave the merry band of soldiers to their Gods end. Disappearing into the crowd and then onto the road beyond.

Her part in this grand story was over. But for the rest... It was only the beginning.

ooc: dropping from thread.

Axel

First Post
So I was right the first time, Alden thinks while looking in the direction the girl points. Out loud he says "Well, mebbe he listened to me after all and is waitin' at th'pub?"

Hearing the creaking of leather armour and over-stressed joints behind him, Alden turned to see Hera standing and striding off. She didn't look like she wanted company... Now that I think about it, she said something a few seconds ago. I think she's gone back to whatever place she came from. Maybe she was an avatar of the Gods, come to help us?!

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
It is late when the group reaches the inn. The "servant" is nowhere to be found and it is getting to dark to search. The group turns in with thoughts of starting out fresh in the morning, and Alex knows of a few "trackers" he can find to help.

You all sleep soundly after a day of adventure and awake to a clear cool morning. Heading down to the common room you find Padre Gole and the other members of his group already there and preparing to leave. Tio is there but does not have his pack and looks like he will be staying.

When questioned PAdre Gole says with a smile, "Tio's fate is intertwined with your own. Alden, Alexander, each of us has his role to play and it has been decided Tio's role will be fullfilled alongside the both of you."

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Tio rubbed the back of his neck as he looked at the ground. He was clearly still upset; nothing had been resolved between him and Alexander.

With a wan smile, he looked up and said, "Well, let's try to make the best of it."

Axel

First Post
Alden came down the stairs feeling good. He had just had the best night's sleep in months, and in a comfortable bed nonetheless. Given the return to civilization, he had celebrated by shaving off weeks of untidy beard growth and generally tidying his appearance. The overall effect bordered on quite dashing...

He had spent the time before sleep examining the fragment of the device pocketed in the battle's aftermath in the privacy of his room. What is it made of? Is it worth anything? Alden was pretty sure he knew what it was... Still, he had put it securely into his pack, just in case.

Nodding to the Alexander on the landing before the stairs, Alden wondered What's all the commotion? The whole negotiation deal must've gone sour after the half-elf vanished.

On hearing the Padre's explanation of the crowd, he faced Tio, offered his hand and grinned broadly. "Glad t'ave y'with's mate. Be good t'travel wit' some'n 'oo can 'old a conv'sation."

To Padre Gole he asked, "Not stick'n 'round then, eh? Y'get whatcha wanted outta th'place?"

Last edited:

Zerith

First Post
Alexander was not too shocked when the alleged paladin left the day before, from what he knew about paladins they were blunt and forth coming; she was blunt, but not all that forthcoming; she had either given up on what she wanted, or got it and thus simply left them.
If he had not bee in such a tizzy after leaving the tower he could have gauged which.
___

When he entered the commons and heard the initial conversation, it was too early in the morning to have had a new conversation and packed, unless those two... ample... nobles either managed to have a late conference and resolve the issue that night or the duo packed very lightly... or the backwater village decided to accept one of the duo's earlier offers, or vica versa; given the duo's tone the day before the latter was unlikely.
he also was not very interested in the subject, but he did see an opportunity to gain a insight into the half-elf's where about.

Alexander looked briefly to Tio; his eyes held little interest in the man, either for or against, but he seemed to be rather anxious.
Why? Alexander was not aware just yet, for all he knew the man just got fired for leaving with himself and Alden the night before; in addition to who knew what else.

He turned his gaze towards the ample duo.

"Did someone have to cut the negotiation short?" Alexander asked idly as if making conversation; he would then attempt to bring the conversation towards the half-elf, and then to if they had an idea of were the half-elf was going or had went.

Remove ads