To Con the Con-man

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The priest (other than Padre Gole) are in no mood to talk. It seems they have lost the contract they had come for and must return home empty handed.

After the small party of priest and bodyguards have gone, the group sits down to breakfast. As they eat in silence a young man comes running into the tavern out of breath.

"A monster! The guards caught a monster! A dog-man, they're bringing it into town now."

Zerith

First Post
Alexander’s eyes flared open, he started t shout ‘what’ but found his tongue bound behind locked teeth, he was now greatly displaced and rather angry; he fisted his hands and abruptly stood, all but slamming his fists onto the table at the same time “WHERE!?!” Alexander demanded with a grating shout as he turned a leering stare towards the boy. “Where are they taking it; Show me, Now. Alexander insisted as he walked towards the door and the child whom he was soon looming over with a furiously enraged glint in his eyes.
He honestly did not care if he had just traumatized the poor lad, because the child knew a detail that had just became vital to him and that was that.

He needed to prevent further, pleasantries before the town did something he, and perhaps they, would soon regret. Assuming he got there before anything rash had happened he walk into the scene, not run, not jog but walk into the scene in a slight hurry while seething with great anger and frustration; obviously aimed at yet another fiasco happening before his eyes and demand that further action, beyond confining the gnoll in question for the time being, be halted immediately and that he speak to “...the suicidal fool in charge...” in an insulting and angered tone.

Regardless of which gnoll was held captive he would not pay more than a passing glance, if that; associating himself as the gnoll’s ally so soon would just cause further repercussions and anything the gnoll had to say would have to wait until things were sorted out anyways.
‘one thing after another!’ Alexander thought to himself with contempt.

OoC: We know what is about to happen, now that I've wasted that 19 I'm going to roll again in a bit and get a natural 1! XD

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Alden's stomach plummetted into his boots after hearing the boy speak. I was having such a good morning. Why does this crap always happen to me...

Still he ploughed onward through his breakfast before rising. He had been soldiering for a few months now and knew the advantages of a full stomach and hot meal. One never could tell when it will be the last meal for the day. Lord High-and-mighty can rush off all he wants. I'm finishing my food. Beats bloody army rations every day of the week.

Making a grimace at Tio, Alden said, "There always be a bloomin' problem with 'im. Pity. I wanted to go shoppin' today."

OOC: The ENWorld dice roller is complete poop. I can only roll above 10 in non-combat situations...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Tio's face lit up. "Dog-men, you say? Hey, now wouldn't that be something if it was one of those Gnolls I chased away? Maybe he'd have some answers about... well..."

Tio watches Alex storm off and frighten a poor child with his incessant foul mood. Not skipping a beat, he turns to Alden with a wide smile says, "Shopping, you say?"

Axel

First Post
"Aye, shoppin'. Be better'n chasing Sir Grumpy round'a'bout. I'd wager 'tis one'o them dogs ye' chased away. I've no d'sire to see any of'em again." Having finished his breakfast, Alden rose from the table and winked at the serving girl hovering around. "Thanks love. One'o'the better meals I's had in months."

"So, Tio, I be goin't' get m'pack from upstairs. Fancy a trip to th'bow shop, or you be wantin' t'see the dog man?" he added while turning to head upstairs, intending to do retrieve his kit.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Tio grins. "I've seen the dog-men. They're ugly. I haven't seen the bow shop. Let me gather my things as well, then let us meet here and travel into the bustling world of mercantile... um... merchanting."

"I may even be able to negotiate a good price for your wares,"
he accentuated the last by turning around and pointing at the embroidered symbol of the Velvet Proctor on his cape. "I'm one of the gang."

Axel

First Post
Alden reflected on the wisdom of asking Tio to come along when he was, effectively, planning to pawn stolen equipment as he gathered his things. Must be a way to disguise it, he thought, before running down the stairs two at a time.

Once Tio had joined him Alden set off through the front doors towards the bow shop he had passed yesterday. He noted the gathering crowds, if it was possible to call them that, coming to see the dog-man and hoped that Alexander didn't blow things apart at the seams. I might need a new weapon sooner rather than later. Hope not...don't really like the idea of killing villagers because of that dunderhead.

Glancing at his intended purchase through the window on the way in, Alden strode up to the counter without a pause. He spoke to the clerk in a voice devoid of his usual vocabular mangulations, "Good morning sir. I find myself in need of a fine crossbow and in possession of a valuable piece of metal at the same time. Noting your wares on display I would dearly like to try that fine example of your craftsmanship. Perchance have you a target butt nearby?"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Alexander finds one of the gnolls (who he doesn't know the name of) tied up with a lot of rope, with about ten feet leftover to use as a leash. he pushes through the crowd to the man holding the rope.

When the gnoll sees Alex it starts growling, yipping, and baking excitedly.

[sblock=Gnoll] "Protector! Protector! Help me! We came looking for you! We have a knife ear! Tell these brutes to let me go and take you to him!" [/sblock]

"Ere now you. Gets back yuir exciten da' beast inta a frenzy!" the leash-holder says menacingly.

"The bow in the window?" the man Alden stopped at the front door from closing his shop early. "That thing has been there forever. No one around here has the kind of money it is worth."

Zerith

First Post
Alexander was unimpressed by the man who was trying to act impressive; nor was he in the least bit caring that he was getting the gnoll exited. He was however still angry; as was his custom when he thought something stupid and or foolish had just happened.
“No, I think not.” He commented monotony as he neared the man at a comfortable pace while leering into the man’s eyes. “But I do think that you should tell me what suicidal buffoon is in charge of this here fiasco before it because truly regrettable for this virtually undefended village.” Alexander stated lowly with venom.

Axel

First Post
"Yessir, the bow in the window. And you see, I am not from around these parts. Just passing through really, hence why I expect I have the sum of money you require. Incidentally, what are you advertising it for?" Alden enquired.

Without really waiting for a reply, he strolled over to the crossbow in question and lifted it out of the window before proceeding to test it's weight, balance and all other manner of things that he thought might make him appear a connoisseur of crossbows.

Remove ads