To Con the Con-man

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Dat be me. Ye needs ta be gettin' on yung'in." The man says moving between the gnoll and Alex. "I tink ye tone be one dat will be get ye in trouble."

The shop owner rubs his hands and looks outside through the window. Alden can tell he wants to be made an offer so as not to under sell the crossbow.

As he hefts it Alden notices that the thing is a work of art. With brass inlays for balance and a hard grain wood polished till it shines. It is of masterwork quality for sure and thus expensive.

The shop keeper looks to Tio. "Sorry I only have the one. See anything else you might like?"

OCC: Place is full of items HB what are you interested in.

Zerith

First Post
Alexander finality was, slightly, amused; but still more angered and annoyed then anything else. “Don’t tell me you’re trying to sell that yelp of a pup here.” Alexander chuckled mockingly while grinning wickedly and speaking just laud enough for anyone who might be interested to hear clearly.
“It’s simply a pathetic example of a gnoll, It did not put up much of a fight did it? Nether you nor it looks all that hurt; making it worthless of trained to be a guard, but wait theirs more, it’s at the worst possible age to acquire! it’s right at the age where it starts building the nerve to challenge its alpha male for supremacy, and even if accepts you as it’s ‘alpha’, for now, it would quickly challenge any prospective owner for dominance; and they don’t bother to give you warning when the challenge comes.” Alexander stated insultingly “Meaning a prospective owner would have to be both able and willing to wrestle with a growing Gnoll, with or without weapons, on a moment’s notice even if sick, and let’s get to the real meat of the issue; the upkeep. Gnolls are carnivores, they can be sustained on grains for a very short time, sure, but in the long run it costs far more just to feed one then to pay for a skilled laborer to do the same job with better results and no risk of being ate the moment you release its bounds so that it can do work!” He chuckled, before digging deeper into the subject.

“Also, their terrible miners, their more liable to cause a cave in from picking mindlessly then finding any useable ore, and even then the ends of the shafts will need to be redug so that there is room for it to work, there is not one task here that is suited for a gnoll, and if you or someone else wanted to sell it off else were, you would have to hop that other gnolls could not find you before you got to where you’re going, and the odds are they would find you with in short order the only thing that gnoll is good for here is to bargaining chip to its friends, and I think they would sooner kill you then bother asking why you have one of theirs bound: best yet…” Alexander continued before leaning in and talking in a hushed whisper “…if you kill it now, the other Gnolls will smell its blood and Rem will face a full blow Gnoll war party before the body is cold; Rem is presently seethed between those we now war with and the gnolls, who up until now have been happy just scalping Treylor solders and leaving us alone, and now you’ve taken steps to starting a second war with what was a neutral if not friendly faction.” Alexander grinned with sadistic satisfaction and whispered one last sentence with great amusement “if the gnolls come to Rem now, it’s on your head; you’ve taken that burden from me.”

Alexander retook his full standing height while still grinning “But if you were looking to sell it I think, all things considered, three gold coins would be more than generous considering the danger inherited simply in being around the thing for any length of time, that it untrained and virtually worthless here even if it was trained.” Alexander then said flatly before adding “And while I’m not in a generous mood, I’m already running late enough as it is; I’ll buy that burden off of you for three gold coins.” He finished with a mellow tone.

Axel

First Post
Propping and cocking the crossbow, Alden hefted it again, pulling the trigger without a bolt loaded. The recoil was minimal and the mechanism faultless. Still, he grimaced slightly and turned back to the shop owner. "Regrettably it is not as good as I had hoped it to be, although it is a remarkably...pretty weapon."

He hands the crossbow back to the shopkeeper as he shrugs his back off and places it on the floor. Undoing the flaps and reaching inside he grasps the device fragment that had kept him up half the night in the palm of his hand. This guy's pretty desperate to sell. Probably only gets one chance every other year to sell something this expensive. He'd accept anything remotely valuable if it gets the weapon out of the shop and some food on the table. Condidence and bravado man, that's the key. Been missing a bit of that lately.

"Luckily for you, sir, I am partial to a pretty weapon. I have here a lump of alchemical silver recently obtained as payment for consulting services to a wizard. I offer it in exchange it for this weapon," he began, placing his hand with the metallic lump in the shopkeeper's free hand. "I do not expect you will get a better offer this year, sir."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Wha?? I no want tae sell this 'ere dog-man. And if I did why would ye want to buy 'em?" The man says starting to look about. After seeing someone he knows he continues speaking over Alexander's head.

"Mayor! Mayor! I tink dis yung'n be up tae sumetin. Sumetin odd!"

The shop owner stares at the lump of percious metal in his hand and then at Alden. Before he can answer the yelling from outside can be heard. "Done and done! I am closing gents. Closing to see the dog-man, you see. Come again. Please come again." he says ushering the two towards the door.

Axel

First Post
I thought he was going to put up more resistance to a barter than that. Guess the metal was worth more than I realised...

Glancing at Tio who had been unusually quiet throughout the whole process he said, "Guess we 'ave t'see the stinkin' dog now, eh? Nothin' much else t'do. You feelin' alright?"

As they stepped out of the shop Alden stopped again to attach his new crossbow to his pack. Two crossbows make me look like one of those crazy buggers that can shoot one in each hand. The thought of himself holding two bows brought a huge grin to his face.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Well just tie him up too. Trouble didn't start around here till all these strangers came to town." A deep voice says as Alex turns to face the mayor of Rem. "Tie them all up and we can sort this out afterward."

"Yeah tie 'em up! Fir dey cause any mischief!" the leash holder cries out grinning.

"Tie him up!" a man calls.

"Who has extra rope?" asks another.

Alden and Tio exit the shop in front of the owner, and the man pushes by to hurry towards the gathered crowd. They can just make out the calls from afar to tie up all the strangers.

Axel

First Post
Alden's grin fades as he hears the sounds of a mob, and their intent towards him. Turning to Tio he says, "Get y'self t'gether mate. I be thinking you need y'wits 'bout y'soon. T'bean pole Sir Grumpy dun' sound like he be doin' too good."

Axel

First Post
"Fair 'nuff," Alden added as he headed towards the sounds. "I don' really wan't'get caught in t'middle though. How'bout we stay on the edge?"

Remove ads