• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Mike Mearls: C'mon, bring back the whole D&D Multiverse!

I'd love to see some Eberron setting-specific material. I'd detest seeing it integrated into the classic D&D multiverse.

Haven't there been any Eberron cross-overs at all? Are there no canonical mentions of Eberron's relationship with the other D&D Worlds?

Eberron's planar cosmology is unique, evocative, and very specific to that particular setting. Attempting to integrate it into another cosmology would be detrimental.

Well, I really appreciated how in 3E, every D&D World had its own cosmology. The various cosmologies were connected via a shared Plane of Shadow.

That was better than how 2E shoehorned it all into the Great Wheel. (Same for Mystara, it's Five Spheres cosmology was just flattened into the Great Wheel in 2E.)

I'm not that up on 5E cosmology. Do the various worlds retain their unique cosmological maps in 5E? If so, this would be retained. I'm not actually proposing any significant change in the cosmologies, just in the presentation.

But still there must be *some connection* between Eberron and the other D&D Worlds. My proposal would only highlight that plane-hopping/spelljamming approach and bring it more to the fore as one (but not the only) of the main campaign options.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Haven't there been any Eberron cross-overs at all? Are there no canonical mentions of Eberron's relationship with the other D&D Worlds?

I think D&D Online had some other stuff (Lloth, I think?) leak into Eberron, but how canonical D&D Online is (or really anything related to the in-world fiction of Eberron, honestly) is up for debate

MarkB

Legend
I think they may have made a stab at integrating it into the 4e multiverse, but I didn't do anything with Eberron in 4e. In 3.5e it was firmly separate.

But still there must be *some connection* between Eberron and the other D&D Worlds. My proposal would only highlight that plane-hopping/spelljamming approach and bring it more to the fore as one (but not the only) of the main campaign options.
Why does there need to be a connection between Eberron and anywhere else? D&D is a system, not a setting. There's no reason why any two of its settings need to be connected as part of a shared continuity, let alone all of them.

I get the appeal of a plane-hopping campaign, and I'm all for going on wild adventures across the outer planes. But the Great Wheel cosmology of Planescape or Spelljammer is a very different place than the Planar Orrery of Eberron.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
The next generation of D&D enthusiasts need to be "educated" (though I realize it's a kinda arrogant word) to become "masters" of the D&D continuity. Otherwise there are fractures and things are lost, and the D&D Multiverse becomes vague-ifyied and genericized.

I think you're assuming a level of interest in this area that the vast majority (in my opinion) just doesn't share. D&D, to most, is an opportunity to get together and blow off steam fighting epic battles and exploring strange new worlds. It's not about discussing the minutiae of worlds and stories created by others.

This, to me at least, is the most off putting part of the D&D "experience". A while back I mentioned that I had an outpost of Arcane Brotherhood located in Waterdeep and someone got on my case that "that was wrong because there is no such outpost!".

WTF? It's my version of the Forgotten Realms and I put things where I want and when I want. The lore be damned! :)

IMHO D&D is about creating new stories not rehashing old ones.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
A part of me thinkls that would be a fantastic idea. Another part of me remembers what they have done with other DnD tropes **cough**Elves**cough**

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I think you're assuming a level of interest in this area that the vast majority (in my opinion) just doesn't share. D&D, to most, is an opportunity to get together and blow off steam fighting epic battles and exploring strange new worlds. It's not about discussing the minutiae of worlds and stories created by others.

Yeah, I guess that is true if you are the kind of player who prefers to play Humans and/or does not use feats.

They probably dont even know what the difference is between Demons and Devils. #sad

Valetudo

Adventurer
I dont think wizards dnd team is big enough to handle the multiverse. I think they have their hands full as it is. The multiverse is a trap. Sure this group wants dragonlance and that group wants darksun. But, is there enough that wants both? They have a small staff this edition so that they can succeed with a slow release schedle and its working for them. Yes, it means we miss out on certain things.

I think they may have made a stab at integrating it into the 4e multiverse, but I didn't do anything with Eberron in 4e. In 3.5e it was firmly separate.

In a sense it was separate. But the Orrery Cosmology was clearly part of the 3.5E Multiverse. Every world had its own Cosmology, but they were all connected via shared Plane of Shadow. It was a Multiverse of multiple cosmologies.

I don't know the details of how 5E deals with the various cosmologies, but I suppose it's been addressed, and is applicable to Eberron 5E, even though Eberron products haven't appeared yet.

They should just release ALL of it - past rules editions, settings, source books, modules, etc onto the DMS GUILD.

Glad WotC has been going in that direction. Now if we'd just see the other worlds (besides FR and Ravenloft) opened up to DM Guild authors.

if they released, say, a Dragonlance sourcebook, then they immediately reduce the number of potential sales to only the subset of players who want to use Dragonlance. They want every book they release to be tempting for every player. Fragmentation of the market through numerous campaign settings was partially responsible for the great RPG crash.

Yes, tat's been the conventional wisdom ever since Ryan Dancey first voiced it after the fall of TSR. And it must be more than half true. But all truths have their limit. Mearls and team know that maxim well, yet they still ventured to publish two 4E Dark Sun books, and two 4E Eberron books, three 4E D&D Gamma World boxed sets, and a Ravenloft boardgame. What they did do, was remove the distinctive logo and branding, so it all looked like a single product line.

5E's Curse of Strahd doesn't have the Ravenloft logo on the cover either.

In my OP I offer a way to refrain from fracturing the fanbase, while at the same time, fully tap into the vast array of D&D Worlds. This is a totally different gesture than 2E or 4E or 5E (so far).

The 2E gesture was: Let's publish a bunch of differently branded worlds which each develop their own separate, fragmented clientelle. That's what you and Ryan Dancey are pointing to as a flawed strategy.

The 4E gesture was: Let's cram the best bits of all the D&D worlds into a new patchwork world called Nerath, and hope everyone forgets about the other worlds. But then, after everyone is (hopefully) hooked on Nerath (which didn't happen) we'll release a few unbranded books for other worlds (FR, Eberron, Dark Sun).

The 5E gesture is better thought out: We'll make FR the default world, and release other settings very slowly, and present them as one-book rules expansions or iconic adventure sites (Castle Ravenloft). We'll mention all the other worlds in the DMG, to affirm that they do exist, and give suggested placements of each adventure for each world.
(Not a bad strategy.)

I'm not talking about reverting to the 2E strategy.

I'm suggesting sticking with the basic 5E strategy, but then building from there in a way that's never been done before.

I'm suggesting to recast the entire D&D Multiverse as a single brand, and to amp up the presence of planewalking, spelljamming, and chronomancy, so that many of the next generation of D&D groups are accustomed to leap from world to world, even at low levels (via an expanded network of World Gates), exploring any and all of the D&D Worlds - in a similar way that 5E parties were "expected" to journey (via the Mists) to Ravenloft for the Curse of Strahd adventure.

This would be accomplished by:

1) A rules expansion which focuses on the three "transitive" modes: planewalking, spelljamming (space travel), and chronomancy (time travel). Time Travel makes available for exploration such rich settings as the Age of Blackmoor (of Mystara), the Arcane Age (of Forgotten Realms), and (future) Greyhawk 2000, and all other past and future events as depicted in old D&D and AD&D adventures.

2) A series of epic "Crisis on Infinite Earth"-style novels wherein Drizzt teams up with a team of heroes from all worlds (Tasselhoff from Krynn, Aleena the Cleric from Mystara, and so forth), in order to save the Multiverse from a conspiracy of villains and evil gods from all worlds. This book series would be branded as Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance and D&D at the same time. With all three brands on the cover.

3) The publication of a "Grand History of the D&D Multiverse". A compiled timeline of all D&D Worlds. Similar to the "Grand History of the Forgotten Realms" which came out a few years ago.

4) The publication of an "Atlas of the D&D Multiverse" which features brand new, complete world maps for *all* of the key D&D Worlds, with planar and spelljammer route maps to each.

5) Open up all of worlds for amateur-publishing through DM's Guild. Then we're rolling.

See, it's not that much. Just four books. Then we'd have a truly shared, complete D&D Multiverse setting and brand.

Last edited:

Remove ads