D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The overlap seems to go one way. IME a lot of Storygames people find the OSR's ideas interesting and worth borrowing. But there doesn't seem to be anything like the willingness from the other side to look at Storygames - indeed many of them seem to treat it as a culture war thing.
That seems pretty consistent with my experience. OSR folks seem almost violently opposed to storygame techniques, whereas storygame folks are willing to borrow techniques from any and all other styles when it suits their goals.

The main thing I see that reflects my interests in this essay’s presentation of OSR is the emphasis on player agency and PC decision-making.

S'mon

Legend
The overlap seems to go one way. IME a lot of Storygames people find the OSR's ideas interesting and worth borrowing. But there doesn't seem to be anything like the willingness from the other side to look at Storygames - indeed many of them seem to treat it as a culture war thing.

Yup. I think there is a fear of corruption/contagion - add storygame elements to an OSR game, now you have a storygame. And Classic purists often see OSR as a corrupting influence too. Storygamers are often hostile to Trad play too, of course, but without the Purity/Corruption thing.

Most OC gamers are just desperate to play, so I don't often see them being dismissive of other styles! :D

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yup. I think there is a fear of corruption/contagion - add storygame elements to an OSR game, now you have a storygame. And Classic purists often see OSR as a corrupting influence too. Storygamers are often hostile to Trad play too, of course, but without the Purity/Corruption thing.

Most OC gamers are just desperate to play, so I don't often see them being dismissive of other styles! :D
Dismissive of other styles, certainly not, but their goals can easily end up clashing with other styles. The most obvious being when you just want to play your OC, but the trad DM won’t allow it because such-and-such race doesn’t exist in their world, or whatever.

Storygames were a reaction against Trad so I get that. But I really don't understand the purity thing being a big deal.
Dismissive of other styles, certainly not, but their goals can easily end up clashing with other styles. The most obvious being when you just want to play your OC, but the trad DM won’t allow it because such-and-such race doesn’t exist in their world, or whatever.
This I definitely agree with.

teitan

Legend
I’m still scratching my head.

everyone talks about all this 5e content and acts like there is so much material for it and what I see are a bunch of big adventures and Tasha’s, Xanathar’s, Mordy’s and Volo’s, now Fizban’s and some campaign settings. A girl posted a tik tok video the other day about how she was financially stable and getting into D&D and then her carrying a slowly climbing supply of books as a player like it was soooo many books. Man, anyone else remember when it was 2 or 3 books a month instead of 3-4 a year and they were supplements and not adventures???

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I’m still scratching my head.

everyone talks about all this 5e content and acts like there is so much material for it and what I see are a bunch of big adventures and Tasha’s, Xanathar’s, Mordy’s and Volo’s, now Fizban’s and some campaign settings. A girl posted a tik tok video the other day about how she was financially stable and getting into D&D and then her carrying a slowly climbing supply of books as a player like it was soooo many books. Man, anyone else remember when it was 2 or 3 books a month instead of 3-4 a year and they were supplements and not adventures???
While I can only speak for myself, it is just the feeling that 5E is reaching that point, not that it has been there for the last two years or something. I still have most of my AD&D 1E books, and there is more than my 5E.

I think a part of it also is the stuff they are making isn't what some of us are asking for (maybe a minority??), so it is a bit of a let down and it just feels like they are publishing books, not to make the game "more", but only for the money (hey, who can blame them, right?).

Yeah where is the bloat? looks at his 3.5 and 2e shelves… his half a shelf of 5e
Sure, but how much of 3.5 and 2E did you buy? Do you have all the 5E stuff? Are they proportional?

teitan

Legend
While I can only speak for myself, it is just the feeling that 5E is reaching that point, not that it has been there for the last two years or something. I still have most of my AD&D 1E books, and there is more than my 5E.

I think a part of it also is the stuff they are making isn't what some of us are asking for (maybe a minority??), so it is a bit of a let down and it just feels like they are publishing books, not to make the game "more", but only for the money (hey, who can blame them, right?).

Sure, but how much of 3.5 and 2E did you buy? Do you have all the 5E stuff? Are they proportional?
So there is a huge difference. Back in 2e and up to 4e it was 2-3 books a month. Not a year. A month. Two years ago we were begging on these forums to see more content and they’ve actually barely scratched the surface of content. Barely and people are talking about edition bloat. Five additional rules supplements plus the core books. That’s not bloat. That’s two months. No I didn’t buy all those books every month but even buying a book every month or so you still had more content in 6 months than they’ve put out for 5e and people are talking about edition bloat.

examples of additional content they could explore that aren’t just settings:

Undead book ala Mordy, Fizban and Volo. Undead races, NPCs, aberrations included, including PC options.

weapons and equipment Book that includes more rules on magic items, classes built on magic items, magic item creation by PCs. A more martial based subclasses built around using items and weapons and taking control of the battlefield like the old warlord class from 4e. Include some siege rules.

Dungeoneering supplement with classes focused on exploration and dungeoneering and expanded monsters for the dungeon, new slimes, molds, fungi, revised monsters galore.

reprints of material from the adventures like vehicles rules, seafaring rules and even campaign setting material like the stuff on the cities for those who don’t buy the adventures. If you’re going to do reprints en masse like the new Multiverse book why not?

Remove ads