To the noble BORN 6/9/08 (finished)

Dekana

Explorer
"No... in fact, she looked almost crazed." Lily begins to walk toward the cocoons, still speaking with Rayburn. "That spell I cast was just supposed to protect her from attacks, not send her into a frenzy" she says rather nervously. While she ponders what could have happened to Cait, Lily examines the cocooned figures, looking with faint hope for any signs of life.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
You move further into the webbed area. There don’t seem to be any sheets of webbing, only cocoons of various sizes. Most are small, perhaps holding birds or rabbits. although it nearly impossible to tell for sure without opening them. They are up in the trees, and would take climbing to reach them. The one cocoon that isn’t was the one the spiders were working on when you arrived, it hangs within easy reach.

There is occasional movement in the trees, and glimpses of gold fur. Enough warning to keep those exploring the area in a tight group, but any remaining spiders are keeping their distance.

The largest cocoon is old and, gray than white with bits of dried leaves stuck to it. Looking closely Xaros sees a cracked and weathered boot sticking out of one side.

What now?

Dekana

Explorer
When Lily catches sight of the figure wearing boots, she lowers her head and mutters a quick prayer. A moment later she says to the others, "We should cut that fellow down - at least find out who he is. We might find something that identifies him, and we could pass word of his demise to his family."

ooc: Is that cocoon the same one that the spiders were just working on? If they're different, she'll also examine the new one within easy reach. Either way, Lily will try unwrapping the silk if necessary to find out what's inside.

Fenris

Adventurer
Kerin nods at Lily's suggestion and with the reach advantage of being on Swift, begins to cut all the webbed figures down.

knight_isa

First Post
WarShrike said:
"My thinking exactly, my dear. I wonder if we should set fire to these webs when we're done?"

"That would be a really bad idea. It would likely set the trees on fire, and who knows how far it would spread? If nothing else, it could make our return trip much more difficult."

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Lily the smaller web resists your efforts, (with a knife?) but eventually you manage to tear enough of it open to reveal the still warm body of a dog-sized golden spider. It has an arrow in it.

Kerin cuts down a few of the smaller cocoons, they do contain birds and small animals, most drained of blood. Things take a turn for the worse, when he goes after the largest cocoon, as he actually gets his sword entangled in the big cocoon and loses hold of it.

A 2’ long spider with metallic-golden fur, moves to about 30’ away, still 15’ up it chitters and waves its legs. There are also (more subtle) signs of movement in the branches.

OOC:
Lily attempts 3,16 : perception 17+3=20

Kerin nat 1, ref save (dc 15) 4+3=7

Dekana

Explorer
Lily brandishes her mace at the spider and yells "Away! This is our cocoon, not yours!" She glances at her discarded longbow a spear, eager to grab them. However, the Halfling decides moving away from the cocoons before the others might only provoke the remaining spiders.

ooc: Nah, Lily doesn't have any kind of slashing weapon - even when her weapons aren't lying on the ground of a spider nest.

Fenris

Adventurer
Kerin grabs a hold of the sword and attempts to tug it free.
"Shoot that thing before it bites me please!" he asks as he yanks on his sword.

Remove ads