To the noble BORN 6/9/08 (finished)

Dekana

Explorer
Lily stays where she is and fires an arrow at One-Eye.

ooc: Sorry for not posting much; I've been away from my computer a lot this last week.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
", Mr. Oakly" Rayburn adds.

One-eye smiles and brushes aside his eye-patch to reveal a second, perfectly normal eye. He easily dodges your attacks as you surround him.

"Ah you did recognize me. You should know everything I have done was by Count Hathwick's command. Sending the rabble before you entered the wilds, making sure that you found the treasure at the fountain, and finally hiring this band of mercenaries ... The question you need me to answer is did his father order your deaths? and ... ARGH!"

Mr. Oakly's monologue is interrupted by the giant ant viciously bitting him. Oakley pulls himself free of the ant's jaws. His sword lashes out, cleaving its carapace. The ant vanishes in a puff of amber smoke, leaving behind the undamaged talisman.

In the background you notice Cait getting two men to move their stunned companions next to a large thorny bush, just off the road.

OOC Lilly 3+4; Rayburn 3+5 ; Kerin 6+8 ; Ant 15+5 (9dmg) grab 17 vs 23
no save needed vs Xaros.
Mr. Oakly vs Ant ac20 (7 damage).
Mr. Oakly/One-eye @ -24hp (blooded)
Swift @ -16hp
Cait@-4hp
Kerin@-6hp
Rayburn@-1hp

knight_isa

First Post
"If he did order our deaths, you're doing a rather poor job of it, don't you think? I suggest you surrender now, Mr. Oakly," Rayburn says casually.

Rayburn readies an attack, if Mr. Oakly does anything other than surrender, Rayburn tries to stab him (+5, 2d6 with flanking).

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Lily draws another arrow and aims at Mr. Oakly's chest, ready to fire if he makes any threatening movements. She does not speak, but internally she is in quite a bit of turmoil.

The Count?! But why would he want these young men killed? And ME! The priesthood couldn't have known about the plot when they sent me... Suddenly, Lily remembers the numerous times she ignored the customs of the older priests, ran around after curfew, and sang a little too loudly during prayer.

Well, maybe they could. Anyway, if the Count - or his father - want us all dead, what do we do? I can't protect my company from an entire barony. Can we appeal to someone for help? An archbishop? The monarch?

WarShrike

First Post
Xaros moves back 10' and discharges his crossbow at Oakly. "You know, we could just go and ask the dear Count together, you know, see what he says. After all, if you are truely just obeying your lord, i think you are deserving of a better fate than we have planned for you."

Fenris

Adventurer
"I doubt the count ordered you to murder innocent people in discharging your mission." accuses Kerin as he swigs again at Oakly.

OOC: Non-lethal attack @ -4 to hit

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
But if he just ordered your testing, I have not taken your full measure yet.

As Kerin and Rayburn shift to keep Mr Oakly trapped between them. Xaros' bolt plunges into his chest just missing anything vital. Kerin takes his opportunity to deliver a ringing blow to the side of Mr. Oakly's head.

Mr. Oakly swats aside Rayburns blade with a flourish, nearly ripping it from his hand. He then steps in close to Rayburn and tries catching his throat with a free hand.
Rayburn neatly evades. Lily's arrow misses.

OOC:
Xaros nat 19, unconfirmed (5 dmg); Kerin 14+9-4+2 (ac 21) 9 non-lethal damage.
Mr Oakly: 5' step Disarm ac22; opposed disarm 19; grapple ac 23; grapple check 13
Reyburn: attack ac 15; AoO =ac11; opposed disarm 21; grapple check 18
Lilly ac 17

Fenris

Adventurer
If this man was sent to test us, why? Was not the journey trial enough, perhaps there is a more sinister reason truely. Think Kerin as he aims another flat-bladed blow at Oakly.

OOC: Another non-lethal attack @-4

knight_isa

First Post
Rayburn suppresses a curse and wishes he'd spent a little more time studying... something. Anything combat-related, really.

Rayburn struggles to remember something more about swordplay and tries to keep his cool all at once. "My father should have chosen a better proctor to administer the test. I don't imagine that my father will be pleased with your decision to get Baron Westwig's peasants killed. The baron likes to tattle, you know." And with the next distraction caused by Kerin's attack, Rayburn lunges again.

Use Combat Expertise: AC 17, attack +2, 2d6 (w/ flank).

I just realized that he was supposed to be at +3, not +5 to attack with the rapier. Let me know if you want to revise things or leave them as they are.

Dekana

Explorer
Before she looses another arrow at One-eye, Lily retorts "We can't believe anything that comes out of your mouth, criminal!" Her shaky voice gives away her actual misgivings.

Remove ads