D&D 5E [ToA] Heat & Heavy (armor)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Would you have objections to any of the following?
  • If you get hit with a critical and are not wearing heavy armor, you suffer a lingering injury from the DMG?
  • If you are wearing heavy armor you get resistance to instantaneous area effects such as fire, acid and cold spells and breath weapons?
  • If you are wearing heavy armor you take half damage from falling?
  • If you are wearing heavy armor you have resistance to slashing damage?

Just a few things off the top of my head that seem like they would be "more realistic".
Yeah, but the point wasn't realistic, it was 'feels right for a lot of gamers,' they wouldn't 'feel' at all 'right' to the gamers playing clothies that took lingering injuries from criticals. Though they might be OK with their tanks resisting slashing damage, since they can always stab 'em in the back with a piercing weapon if it comes to that (for instance when said tank is mind-controlled because of his -1 WIS save).

Oofta

Legend
Yeah, but the point wasn't realistic, it was 'feels right for a lot of gamers,' they wouldn't 'feel' at all 'right' to the gamers playing clothies that took lingering injuries from criticals. Though they might be OK with their tanks resisting slashing damage, since they can always stab 'em in the back with a piercing weapon if it comes to that (for instance when said tank is mind-controlled because of his -1 WIS save).

So you admit that it's just a bias.

Which is fine. I don't see the point, just don't say it's because it's more "realistic".

Oofta

Legend
While these are all worthy house rules I'm sure, this thread is the wrong place to discuss them.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

We're talking about when and why we should add more "realism" into the game based on what kind of armor PCs do or do not wear. I think it's totally appropriate.

If you want to justify nerfing certain character concept based on "realism" then let's be fair about it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So you admit that it's just a bias.

Which is fine. I don't see the point, just don't say it's because it's more "realistic".
In my case, that was an accusation of bias, which I see a metric ton of when I look at the way D&D, and especially it's community, treat the fighter-types vs the caster-types. 'Bias' is really too nice a word for it, but calling it bigotry or discrimination would be trivializing much more serious RL issues. So 'bias' will have to do.

CapnZapp

Legend
We're talking about when and why we should add more "realism" into the game based on what kind of armor PCs do or do not wear. I think it's totally appropriate.

If you want to justify nerfing certain character concept based on "realism" then let's be fair about it.
This is a discussion about whether WotC will add penalties for wearing (heavy) armor in hot climes.

Realism has nothing to do with it.

Adding various other armor-related effects has most certainly not anything to do with it.

Now, please start a new thread if you want to discuss these things.

Herein the question remains: do you think ToA will address the issue with heat, humidity and armor?

Since you've already given your answer, and doesn't appear interested in staying on topic, there's nothing more for you in this thread.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is a discussion about whether WotC will add penalties for wearing (heavy) armor in hot climes.

If that's the limit to what you want to talk about, then this thread should have ended with my post when I pointed out that rules for this already exist on page 110 of the DMG, so why would they repeat it for a supplement?

Since you've already given your answer, and doesn't appear interested in staying on topic, there's nothing more for you in this thread.

Nor you, it appears, for the same reason.

Tony Vargas

Legend

Of course it does, 'realism' would be a reason to do it.

About the only reason, really, since 'heavy armor needs to be nerfed' is hardly a plausible reason...

Herein the question remains: do you think ToA will address the issue with heat, humidity and armor?
Yes, either in an open-ended, DM-mediated way, or by nerfing heavy armor in that context.

Of course, it might just limit that to making heavy armor more expensive. It's uncomfortable, so no one wants it, so it's not made nor imported to the area, so you pay a premium assuming you can find it at all - but the discomfort isn't mechanically modeled: you're a PC, you can put up with it if you want, just like you don't have to make morale checks... That'd be perfectly reasonable.

:shrug:

Oofta

Legend

Adding various other armor-related effects has most certainly not anything to do with it.

Now, please start a new thread if you want to discuss these things.

Playing the "I own the thread" card again?

Threads have lives of their own. I think discussing why there would be such a penalty or whether there should be penalties related to not wearing armor is germane. If you wanted a simple yes/no you could have just done a poll ... but honestly I don't see the point. Only the writers of the mod know the answer to your question, and it's one we will have an answer to shortly.

Did you really think you could start a thread like this and not have it meander off onto the merits of whether or not there should be a penalty? Have you had more than one or two responses in this thread that were a simple yes or no?

Oofta

Legend
No. We all know. For the fifth time, it's on page 110 of the DMG already :D

Yes, but that includes medium armor and heavy clothing. Clothing! And you can get around it by drinking water! Where are you going to find water in a jungle? :mad:

Remember: this is specifically a question about extra penalties for people in heavy armor.

Well, that and I have no idea how hot Chult is ... if it's based on the Amazon rain forest it doesn't qualify because the high there is 80 degrees fahrenheit, not 100.

Remove ads