D&D 5E ToA question for Tomb of the 9 gods 5th Floor Gears of Hate

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Ah this part is now making sense I was scratching my head real hard because in my mind how the hell are you suppose to get everyone to the other side. Not thinking the point is that someone was to be left behind now that I know this I can formulate a solution that wont completely naughty word the players over but still have danger involved. I do have 3d printers and was thinking of printing some terrain for this part as well. The youtube video is excellent as well might use that

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Did anyone run this with just a description of what is going on? It has been a while since I looked at it, but I can't imagine the characters have access to a birds eye view, or is there some model or clue to how the gears function?

I seam to remember some gear shaped controls, but I could be completely off
There is a hand out that has a picture of a console with a lever and some buttons and you can see on the wall couple of configurations that match the buttons

Nightbeat84

Explorer
And since every last thing in this dungeon is trying to kill you, when the little guy squeezes between the gears and the wall, say something like "You feel the gears begin to move as you push your unarmored body past them. Make a DEX check." See if the player turns pale.
I like this idea lol I did hear a couple of solutions gaseous form spell, have some kind of conjured thing to push the buttons or even have silent servant which I like I feel a lot of this type of spells go underused but are fantastique, my players do have a wizard in the party so hopefully the player is as smart as he's character lol

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Did anyone run this with just a description of what is going on? It has been a while since I looked at it, but I can't imagine the characters have access to a birds eye view, or is there some model or clue to how the gears function?

I seam to remember some gear shaped controls, but I could be completely off

Attachments

• gears of hate hand out.jpg
    gears of hate hand out.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 120

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
What made It interesting to you. How did you and your party overcome the challenge I'm very curious?

on my phone, may come back when I am at a keyboard. But the short version was the puzzle was cool, there was more combat than in other areas of the dungeon (I like combat) and I just like imagining these huge gear-rooms grinding as they moved. It was good food for the imagination.

In terms of how we solved it it was trial and error, and we had some NPcs help us by moving the controls.

Remove ads