• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 ToB: Bo9S - Nifft's Compendium

periscope69

First Post
What about if you wanted to play one of the original initiators but wanted to use one of these schools? which of them would be appropriate for the crusader, warblade, and swordsage? Would exchanging schools out or burning a 1st level feat to gain access to them (im thinking an additional training feat allowing you access to one more school than normal it hasnt been made yet Im thinking of a home brewed one) be viable? Dancing fox I dont see for crusaders but the crescent moon I could see for someone who is supposed to be able to take all thats thrown at you and the heavens one would fill in for the divine archer deal. Jade viper and dancing fox would seem to go with the swordsage and warblade, not sure about sanguine lotus.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
periscope69 said:
What about if you wanted to play one of the original initiators but wanted to use one of these schools? which of them would be appropriate for the crusader, warblade, and swordsage? Would exchanging schools out or burning a 1st level feat to gain access to them (im thinking an additional training feat allowing you access to one more school than normal it hasnt been made yet Im thinking of a home brewed one) be viable? Dancing fox I dont see for crusaders but the crescent moon I could see for someone who is supposed to be able to take all thats thrown at you and the heavens one would fill in for the divine archer deal. Jade viper and dancing fox would seem to go with the swordsage and warblade, not sure about sanguine lotus.

First off, check out the Racial Sub levels. That grants some of the secret schools as replacements for existing schools for certain Martial Adepts. Any ideas on more races who could use sub levels?

Secondly, I'm planning some other Martial Adept base classes -- the Ranger and the Monk, for starters. The Martial Ranger will use Heaven's Arc and Tiger Claw for sure, and probably one other school. Suggestions on what else needs Sublimation? :)

Third, I'm planning some "adaptations / variant" notes for substituting some of these schools for the base schools in existing martial adepts. For example, Crusaders have proficiency in all Martial weapons (not just melee weapons), so they should be allowed to replace Stone Dragon with Heaven's Arc at 1st level. Swordsages are mystical and esoteric; they should be allowed to replace any one regular school with one secret school to create a unique class. Any suggestions here would be very welcome! :)

Thanks, -- N

periscope69

First Post
also after the dancing fox, whats the next one? Id like to see one that is based upon manipulating ones size (thing Chouji and his dad from Naruto). The 9th level maneuver could could mimic a giant size spell from Comp Arcane but maybe with a belly flop attack! :lol:

THe dancing fox I could see a warblade using for an army of one deal, possibly substituting it for white raven or stone dragon.

If you subliminize the ranger Id suggest subliminating all the base classes (check out the primal and the shade in the Martial compendium on the WizO boards, a barb and rogue if I ever saw one).

hong

WotC's bitch
I would actually split Heaven's Arc into a number of different schools. At the moment, it's a bit of a grab-bag of various shooty abilities: fire one shot with a big bonus, fire lots of shots, etc. At the least, you could have one school for the one-shot-kill, and another for the machine-gun archer, just like the existing melee schools represent different ways of hitting people with sharp sticks. And the mix of Greek and oriental names is a bit odd.

Archery school needs an archer class badly!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Alright. I think I've got concepts for Monk, Ranger and Bard (because we need a Sublime Trickster base class... yes, for gnomes).

Should be up later today, unless I get a life or something. :uhoh:

Cheers, -- N

periscope69

First Post
I just got a visual of a bard with the dancing fox discipline.

"Alright men, the time has come to....RIVERDANCE!"

that is a one man show hahahahaha :lol:

also, what about a school where you hex them? Kind of like the scarlet witch from Xmen evolution (im not familiar with the comic books, mom and dad wouldnt allow them when I was a kid and I dont want to have to go through 500+comics to find out about them). Maybe what the Hexblade could have been.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
I would actually split Heaven's Arc into a number of different schools.
I was thinking about that... but the similar melee ones (Diamond Mind, Iron Heart) have a bunch of non-melee maneuvers, particularly counters. I'm not sure how to split the ranged stuff into multiple schools without stealing from or stepping on the toes of the melee schools.

hong said:
And the mix of Greek and oriental names is a bit odd.
Oriental names?

hong said:
Archery school needs an archer class badly!
Martial Ranger ready for your perusal.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
periscope69 said:
also after the dancing fox, whats the next one? Id like to see one that is based upon manipulating ones size (thing Chouji and his dad from Naruto).

I can't think of more than three maneuvers that would be in that school, though. Hmm, maybe some stuff on immobility and grappling? But Stone Dragon already covers a lot of that stuff (with bull rushing and grappling). Maybe just some exotic Stone Dragon maneuvers -- exotic as in requires a feat to acquire. Hmm.

periscope69 said:
also, what about a school where you hex them?

Now this is a great idea! The Hexblade stuff can be nicely split into stances and strikes -- some appropriate stuff is already in Jade Viper, which has a non-good feel to it. A combination of Jade Viper, Crescent Moon and Dancing Fox could be very debilitating. It could be a Warblade variant (with Use Magic Device).

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads