• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Tomb of Annihilation] Less absolute Curse?

CapnZapp

Legend
Thinking about the death curse...

Do you have any ideas as to running a "light" version of it?

That is,

On one hand, I'm not sure I want to commit to a "no Raise Dead" policy for this, or any other campaign...

On the other, I understand the nature of the threat needs to be sufficiently threatening, or people will just leave the jungles of Chult to rot all by themselves.

So, what to do? I assume there are no other encompassing motives or story hooks in the campaign? (I mean, obviously "enter the jungles to find ancient relics and get rich" always works)

Do you think it's a good idea to leave some kind of opening, or a safety valve, for those odd instances where a beloved character dies when that isn't appreciated - when the player really wants to keep playing that character?

Zapp

PS: Haven't read the module yet

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
The hook is the that is an artifact called the Soulmonger stealing souls before they can be resurrected. You could change the hook to the artifact has a particular soul of someone important to the PCs trapped. That seems like sufficient motivation. I haven't read the whole module yet so I could be missing something.

woodja

First Post
Thinking about the death curse...

Do you have any ideas as to running a "light" version of it?

That is,

On one hand, I'm not sure I want to commit to a "no Raise Dead" policy for this, or any other campaign...

On the other, I understand the nature of the threat needs to be sufficiently threatening, or people will just leave the jungles of Chult to rot all by themselves.

So, what to do? I assume there are no other encompassing motives or story hooks in the campaign? (I mean, obviously "enter the jungles to find ancient relics and get rich" always works)

Do you think it's a good idea to leave some kind of opening, or a safety valve, for those odd instances where a beloved character dies when that isn't appreciated - when the player really wants to keep playing that character?

Zapp

PS: Haven't read the module yet

If a character dies, the player has a choice of abandoning it and creating a new one from scratch, or using one of the surrogate characters listed on the WoTC website and if that finishes the module they may be able to get their original character back

CapnZapp

Legend
If a character dies, the player has a choice of abandoning it and creating a new one from scratch, or using one of the surrogate characters listed on the WoTC website and if that finishes the module they may be able to get their original character back
I believe that's a thing for the Adventurers League. Im thinking of my and all of our home games, not the AL, thanks.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Quartz

Hero
I have the module on pre-order; how do you all have it?

How about applying 10 HP of Necrotic damage each time that reduces the PC's HP maximum that is permanent until the Soulmonger is defeated? (Just like undead.) You could use this as a hook or basis for clues - maybe a PC that has been raised gets a flash of insight from the trapped part of her soul?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Instead of raise dead no longer working, it still works, but the raised character contracts the withering disease all other raised people have contracted?

ccs

41st lv DM

How about applying 10 HP of Necrotic damage each time that reduces the PC's HP maximum that is permanent until the Soulmonger is defeated? (Just like undead.) You could use this as a hook or basis for clues - maybe a PC that has been raised gets a flash of insight from the trapped part of her soul?

It came out this week at WoTC Premiere stores. They get releases earlier than everyone else.

darjr

I crit!

It came out this week at WoTC Premiere stores. They get releases earlier than everyone else.

It's a reason to foster gaming in your store, AL or not, and get it recorded towards their WPN status.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads