• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Tomb of Annihilation] Less absolute Curse?

CapnZapp

Legend
I have the module on pre-order; how do you all have it?

How about applying 10 HP of Necrotic damage each time that reduces the PC's HP maximum that is permanent until the Soulmonger is defeated? (Just like undead.) You could use this as a hook or basis for clues - maybe a PC that has been raised gets a flash of insight from the trapped part of her soul?

Instead of raise dead no longer working, it still works, but the raised character contracts the withering disease all other raised people have contracted?

Bunching these two posts together - it's pretty much the same idea: as I understand it the disease is that you lose one point of maximum hp each day until you reach zero and is vernichted (annihilated).

Yes, since none of the characters have been resurrected (yet) this is probably what I'll do.

CapnZapp

Legend
Anyway I quite like the fear of death this adventure brings in.
Sure, but D&D generally doesn't work that way.

You can easily get killed without having made a stupid decision beforehand. Raise Dead is the game's way of dealing with the swings of luck; has always been something that sets D&D apart from other classic fantasy games (Runequest, Warhammer etc).

(I'll grant you that these swings are probably less extreme in 5th edition than in either d20 or AD&D, but still, it feels... experimental... to deny the player characters such a fundamental "save buffer")

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've been ruminating on this kind of thing too. I don't allow spells like raise dead in my campaigns, so right off the bat this whole adventure is unusable for me. Which is really disappointing, since I really like everything else about it.

Last edited:

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Maybe give it a go, as designed for a session or three? Might like it, might not - of course, might not be an option if time is limited.

I can understand how some folks might get attached to characters. Live hard, die hard - have folks make up a few characters before hand. Then those that survive are special, because they.. survived!

Fanaelialae

Legend
I've been ruminating on this kind of thing too. I don't allow spells like raise dead in my campaigns, so right off the bat this whole adventure is unusable for me. Which is really disappointing, since I really.pike everything else about it.

Could you perhaps substitute a similar trigger? Perhaps have it affect those who have been magically cured of disease, or had a curse removed. Something of that nature.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Could you perhaps substitute a similar trigger? Perhaps have it affect those who have been magically cured of disease, or had a curse removed. Something of that nature.

It's a thought, but since the only non-natural healing in my campaign is a refluffed Keoghtom's ointment, the options are limited. I flat ban all full casters except the warlock, and enemy spellcasters are summoners; that is, they summon "demons" to fight for them and do their bidding.

It's a corner of my own devising, but I'm backed in a corner nonetheless. I'm not really crying, since I have no real use for giant adventure path style adventures anyway, but still. It makes me sad.

A

amerigoV

It's a thought, but since the only non-natural healing in my campaign is a refluffed Keoghtom's ointment, the options are limited. I flat ban all full casters except the warlock, and enemy spellcasters are summoners; that is, they summon "demons" to fight for them and do their bidding.

It's a corner of my own devising, but I'm backed in a corner nonetheless. I'm not really crying, since I have no real use for giant adventure path style adventures anyway, but still. It makes me sad.

So in a normal D&D world really only higher level PC/NPC have access to raise dead. Just throwing out a couple of ideas that replicates the event without introducing that specific magic long-term:

1. Introduce Raise Dead at the end of another campaign arc. Woah! Its a miracle!
2. Then ToA kicks in. Winning that module has a huge trade off - no more of this disease, but no more healing/raise dead.

That is probably too disruptive, so maybe there is a 5% change per level that people somehow miraculous survive something that should have killed them, only to then have this disease kick in at a later point. (or make the % a sliding scale based on level, whatever makes it a threat without messing with the overall feel of the world).

sunrisekid

Explorer

Apropos of nothing, your campaign sounds interesting and fun :) I like the flavour. My campaign also has limited magic (no clerics or major healing). And I am also wondering if this adventure would fit into my campaign or not. I suppose the plot mechanism could simply be a magical plague that must be stopped.

dave2008

Legend

What about @fjw70 's suggest in post #2, that seems like it could work for you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads