• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tome of Foes: Your Wants & Fears?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
My toddler loves looking through the books for the art, especially the MM and Volo's Guide.

I have a 8 month old son and I cant wait for him to be a little older (aka: stop eating any object made of paper within sight) so I can read him the AP as ''choose your own path'' books while I prep the session for the group. :)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Abyssal and/or Yugolothic Tieflings to go alongside the Archdevil Tieflings are a pipe dream, but I can wish. An official ruling for Arcanoloth Tieflings is something I really crave.
Some more variants like the sidebar in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, but more formalized, would be helpful.

Also the stat modifications for several subclasses of Tiefling (maybe or maybe not aimed towards being good at certain classes) that would support Tiefling Origin Stories that have been briefly mentioned previously.

Somewhere around EnWorld is a very old thread I created with 'alternate tieflings' - primarily replacing the spell-like abilities - that are approximately elemental themes.
If I can find it again and get a link to work, I'll post it here.
edit: I rolled a 20 for my Search EnWorld skill check: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471175-Tiefling-Variants

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend

Fears
It'd going to be exactly the same as Volo's Guide to Monsters and Xanathar's Guide to Everything, where Volo and Xanathar where just random names pulled out of a hat that have literally zero impact on the book.
That the random sidebar notes are going to be more of the lame meta jokes with a modern slant, like in XGtE.

I don't give a lick about Mordenkainen's thoughts on any of this, but if they keep the page count small I'm sure I can live with it and ignore it. If it gets to big it would bother me, but...I would still buy it. I'm a sucker for high CR monsters.

Personally, i prefer the little notes here and there.

Why do you want Mord's thoughts and opinion's on these things? They don't make any difference on the game is played do they?

E

Elderbrain

Wants: The Lords of the Nine. More NPC stats blocks to complete the set (i.e. higher CR Monk, Paladin stat blocks, cover the two Sorcerer Origins in the PHB.) And higher CR Nobles, like a King or Queen!

Fears: No actual Lords of the Nine, just lower-ranking Archdevils. Cosmology/origin stories screwed around with (beyond what we already know).

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Want
Athasian Halflings. Sub-racial traits giving them a bite attack/hungry jaws similar to Lizardfolk.

Sea Elves. For Dragonlance.

Taladas Death Gnome sub-race. I could swear I read an old Dragon magazine detailing either a sub-race or prestige class for Dragonlance called a Death Gnome. The impression I got from it was that in Dragonlance, there was this one group of gnomes who wore plate armor, either painted their faces to resemble a skull or wore a skull as a helmet (can't remember which), and charged into battle armed only with melee weapons. Apparently, they saw ranged weapons as taboo.
The idea of an army of Strength and Intelligence-focused Gnomish Eldritch Knights and Necromancer Wizards interests me.

A high-level Duergar. Hey, if the Drow can have a Matron, why not give the Gray Dwarves a CR-20 Low King?

Lindworms/Linnorms.

More NPC stat blocks.

Derro.

Fear
No Athasian Halflings

No Sea Elves.

No Death Gnomes.

No high-level Duergar.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I don't give a lick about Mordenkainen's thoughts on any of this, but if they keep the page count small I'm sure I can live with it and ignore it. If it gets to big it would bother me, but...I would still buy it. I'm a sucker for high CR monsters.

Personally, i prefer the little notes here and there.

Why do you want Mord's thoughts and opinion's on these things? They don't make any difference on the game is played do they?

It's not about taking up space, it's about adding flavour while keeping it useful.

Herosmith14

First Post
Want

New Stats for all the major lore races (drow and fiends are confirmed, as well as other elves. I'm thinking more goth and previously mentioned high level duergar, beyond their confirmed psionic constructs).

Fears

There will be little to inspire extra planar plot lines, allies, and antagonists for my adventures. If the Astral Dreadnought and Moloch lore sections are at most on par with the rest of the book, this one is completely unfounded.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I guess the only thing I really want is for it to be a good read. I don't really have anything that I really want to be in it nor is there anything that I'm afraid will change the lore or be/not be in it.

Remove ads