Tome of Horrors overlaps with new Fiend Folio

The Serge

First Post
Krishnath said:
Serge: Does it really? Then how come Cartoon Network has bought three seasons with options for two more? And why does it get better ratings than Beast Wars? And why on Cybertron ;) do the critics and really hardcore transformers fans like it?

Later,

Excellent points, all!

I think the reason it's doing so well is because it is clearly appealing to preadolescent viewers. It has a very clear anime feel to it (more so than the original series in the 80s), which has dominated the animation market for at least five years now.

It gets better ratings than Beast Wars for two reasons. One, the whole idea behind robots transforming into "real" animals rather than mechanical approximations really turned off a lot of fans of the original series. Second, there was no link between Human Beings and the Transformers... There wasn't a single Human Being in the show and so no identification or the ability to imagine that the car some kid saw out his window was really a Transformer.

As for critics and hardcore fans.... Well, that one gets me completely. I consider myself a fan (although I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm hardcore) and I detest the show. It's too "kiddie" for me. I hate the dialogue. Megatron's not "evil" like he used to be. The robots are far to garrish and the transformations uninspired. AND I HATE THE KIDS! I never liked Spike, but at least entire stories didn't revolve around saving his lame @$$. And I detest the toys... They're cheap.

The funny thing is, I happen to like the new He-Man more than the original series, so I'm not one of those nostalgia slaves.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

The Serge

First Post
Krishnath said:
Ah, yes grimlock, king of the dinobots, the only transformer to go from autobot, to decepticon, to autobot, to terrorcon, to autobot. And he still hates humans, except spike and his kid.

But the overall coolness factor for a transformer has to go to starscream, he was (at least according to pre beast wars continuity) a former autobot scientist (and pal of Jetfire, btw) who joined the decepticons originally to gain control and settle the autobot/decepticon war, unfortunatly greed got the better of him, but he still has his moments. Also he is the only undead transformer (being a ghost), and how cool is that). He is also the only transformer to show up in all series thus far (including beast wars).

DECEPTICONS ATTACK!!! RETREAT!!!! -Starscream.

Later,

I'll give Starscream three things.

No one was a better little b*tch than Starscream. He was all tough and nasty, but when pushed into a corner, he knew when to grovel and how to grovel well. And the Cobra Commander voice helped (atlhough I think Soundwave had a cool voice -- actually it's the same guy who did Megatron's voice)!

Second, I can't think of a better name out of all the Transformers. Yeah, Optimus Prime is really cool with its Latin influences. Megatron sounds powerful and devastating. But Starscream just evokes so much mythologically.

Finally, no one has better quotes!

"Pathetic fools! There's no escape!"
"How it pains me to do this..."
"Megatron...? Is that you?"

Yeah... I feel him.

Krishnath

First Post
Well, I have heard good things about the ne Ha-Man series...

Well, anyways, regarding Starscream, he grovels so he can get into a position to shoot you in the back ;)

Also, he is probably the only decepticon that doesn't consider humans to be totally worthless... :D

Also, on the topic of cool transformers, my top ten list, starting at ten:

10. Punch/Counterpunch
9. Sixshot (I think that's his name, the decepticon sixcahnger)
8. Octane
7. Sandstorm
6. Skywarp
5. Predaking
4. Jetfire/Skyfire
3. Grimlock
2. Shockwave
1. Starscream

Later,

Last edited:

fonzi9864

First Post
Krishnath said:
Ah, yes grimlock, king of the dinobots, the only transformer to go from autobot, to decepticon, to autobot, to terrorcon, to autobot. And he still hates humans, except spike and his kid.

i used to have grimlock when i was little.
what is a terrorcon? i though there was only autobots and decepticons. :confused:

what was that purple guy that changed into a gun, that guy wa bad ass.

Remove ads