D&D 5E Too Many PC Races With Darkvision? (a Poll)

Yes, this race SHOULD have darkvision.

• Aarakocra

• Aasimar, Fallen

• Aasimar, Protector

• Aasimar, Scourge

• Bugbear

• Centaur

• Changeling

• Dragonborn

• Dwarf, Duergar

• Dwarf, Hill

• Dwarf, Mountain

• Elf, Drow

• Elf, High

• Elf, Wood

• Firbolg

• Genasi, Air

• Genasi, Earth

• Genasi, Fire

• Genasi, Water

• Gith

• Gnome, Forest

• Gnome, Rock

• Gnome, Svirfneblin (Deep)

• Goblin

• Goliath

• Grung

• Half-Elf

• Halfling, Lightfoot

• Halfling, Stout

• Half-Orc

• Hobgoblin

• Human

• Kalashtar

• Kenku

• Kobold

• Leonin

• Lizardfolk

• Locathah

• Loxodon

• Minotaur

• Orc

• Orc of Eberron

• Orc of Exandria

• Satyr

• Shifter

• Simic Hybrid

• Tabaxi

• Tiefling

• Tiefling, Feral

• Tortle

• Triton

• Vedalken

• Verdan

• Warforged

• Young-Ti Pureblood

• NONE OF THE ABOVE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think that most of the dark vision races should have low light vision. I know crunching darkvision and low-light vision into one rule-set simplified the game but...

I also think... oh this is interesting - that creatures who have dark vision ... can't see in low light. Like it has to be totally dark for it to kick in. That would be enough of a penalty, I think daylight sensitivity is too harsh. It's dark but the sky is full of stars? The elf sees fine, the deep dwarf sees... starts and shadows (ie no better than a human).

Li Shenron

Legend
According to my quick run of PC races I know of (I am sure I might have missed some...), more than half of all PC races get darkvision. IMO, this is a shame because darkness is one of the greatest elements for creating mystery and suspense, etc. For exploration, it is also a key component. And well more than half of the core PHB races have darkvision.

I know there are arguments for many races, some pretty strong, some weak. And there are races that IMO should have it, but don't (I'm looking at you, Dragonborn!).

So, I wanted to get your opinion. Below are dozens of playable races, vote for the race if you think they should have darkvision.

In brief, I would give darkvision to creatures who:

• evolved to live in the dark (underground, caverns...): e.g. Dwarves
  • have life activity mostly at nighttime: e.g. Orcs
  • by concept, have extraordinary senses: e.g. Elves
  • by concept, is a "creature of darkness": e.g. Devils
  • is meant to be the primary foe of "creatures of darkness": e.g. Angels

Just because a creature is supernatural or mythical is not enough.

Shiroiken

Legend
According to my quick run of PC races I know of (I am sure I might have missed some...), more than half of all PC races get darkvision. IMO, this is a shame because darkness is one of the greatest elements for creating mystery and suspense, etc. For exploration, it is also a key component. And well more than half of the core PHB races have darkvision.
I've found the best solution for this disparity is to prevent Darkvision from working while in Bright Light. It's still a valuable tool to have, but it keeps everyone in the same vision while together. A scout would greatly benefit from it, as would someone who got separated (such as my idiot human paladin that followed the retreating bugbears without the party).

Weiley31

Legend
lets try this again in a proper thread. Heh.

May not be the "exact" answer/solution, but Monarchies of Mau, which is a 3PP modified 5E setting where you play as cats, actually has both Darkvision and Low-Light Vision. The entries in Monarchies of Mau and read as followed on Page 102 within Chapter-Playing the Game: (All credit goes to the fine folks of Onyx Path Publishing with Pugsteady and the creator of Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau-Eddy Webb)

Darkvision: Darkvision allows for a character to see without any light at all. Characters that use Darkvision in darkness can only see in black and white (they can’t see any colors). It doesn’t give them any ability to see things they normally wouldn’t be able to see in the light, such as invisible characters or monsters.

Low-light Vision allows a character to see twice as far as they normally might be able to in dim light. They can see in color and make out details as if the area were brightly lit. They do need to take a few seconds to adjust, however — a character with Low-light Vision who suddenly has bright light in their eyes may get the Blind condition (p. 109) for a few minutes.

If you wanted to do it like that in 5E, that's probably the simplest method.

Something important that a lot of people miss because it isn't stated as directly in 5e as it was in 3e: you can't make out fine details with Darkvision (because it counts as Dim light and you can't make out fine details in Dim light).

This means you can't read. You can't tell what a painting is (maybe you can see a mottled surface, but you won't be able to discern details). You are likely to step on small objects left laying around, etc.

Dim light has few (though significant) mechanical penalties, but it has really hefty conceptual penalties.

Races with Darkvision and the ability to manipulate tools wouldn't intentionally live their lives that way. Their homes and settlements will be lit, although not as brightly as humans, because they only need to cover the area with what would normally be Dim light so that it will become Bright for them.

When creatures with Darkvision travel they will use light sources. They won't need as many of them, or might use dimmer ones like glowing fungus, but they won't want to trip over things. They really would only intentionally douse the lights when they are trying to be sneaky.

And as has been said, make sure to apply that Perception penalty for all traps, ambushes, secret doors etc. Can't read, can't tell what's on a mural, can't find the secret doors, can't see the monsters lurking in ambush.

Having Darkvision is useful in certain situations, but it should not, as presented, obviate the need for light, when the DM correctly understands and applies the rules.

MGibster

Legend
I wish they would go back to having a half-way point of low light vision. Having entire parties with darkvision is a pain.
I haven't kept track of lighting in years. Very few of my players play humans and I'll typically see 4-5 PCs with dark vision in any game I'm running. It isn't worth anyone's time to keep track of lighting, torches, etc., etc. So you know what? There's always enough light.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
darkvision in 5e is a big mess. It's valued as if not having darkvision
1631462013237.png
In reality the cost of not having it at the table is zero unless you are the party scout.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases