D&D 5E Too Many PC Races With Darkvision? (a Poll)

Yes, this race SHOULD have darkvision.

• Aarakocra

• Aasimar, Fallen

• Aasimar, Protector

• Aasimar, Scourge

• Bugbear

• Centaur

• Changeling

• Dragonborn

• Dwarf, Duergar

• Dwarf, Hill

• Dwarf, Mountain

• Elf, Drow

• Elf, High

• Elf, Wood

• Firbolg

• Genasi, Air

• Genasi, Earth

• Genasi, Fire

• Genasi, Water

• Gith

• Gnome, Forest

• Gnome, Rock

• Gnome, Svirfneblin (Deep)

• Goblin

• Goliath

• Grung

• Half-Elf

• Halfling, Lightfoot

• Halfling, Stout

• Half-Orc

• Hobgoblin

• Human

• Kalashtar

• Kenku

• Kobold

• Leonin

• Lizardfolk

• Locathah

• Loxodon

• Minotaur

• Orc

• Orc of Eberron

• Orc of Exandria

• Satyr

• Shifter

• Simic Hybrid

• Tabaxi

• Tiefling

• Tiefling, Feral

• Tortle

• Triton

• Vedalken

• Verdan

• Warforged

• Young-Ti Pureblood

• NONE OF THE ABOVE

Results are only viewable after voting.
We need 3 types of vision:
1) Normal: same
2) Lowlight: dim counts as normal. Darkness unaffected.
3 Darkvision: same

Creatures that live underground, traditionally "dark" creatures, and certain magical races get Darkvision. The rest get either Normal or Lowlight. I would cut out even some Dwarves from Darkvision, such as Hill Dwarves. The sneaky Halfling should get Lowlight.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Our elves have low light, dwarves and gnomes darkvision, and halfling and humans none. And we don't allow circus races, or furry tails.

Puddles

Adventurer
I would happily get rid of it, or make it a class feature for classes that should have it (rogues).

The image of adventurers stepping into a dungeon, torches lighting the way is iconic.

In my campaign, the only character without darkvision is the human rogue, and it makes him feel the least stealthy at times because of it.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
I'd be up for scraping the whole thing and just giving some races low-light vision.

Subterranean types can also have low light vision and, more importantly, use light sources. The Underdark does not have to be in darkness. It can be full of magical light and phosphorescent fungi.

Subterranean monsters that do live in total darkness don't really need darkvision either. Give them alternative senses as a substitute for vision (just treat it as blindsight) or give them Keen Senses traits with smell and hearing.

the Jester

Legend
According to my quick run of PC races I know of (I am sure I might have missed some...), more than half of all PC races get darkvision. IMO, this is a shame because darkness is one of the greatest elements for creating mystery and suspense, etc. For exploration, it is also a key component. And well more than half of the core PHB races have darkvision.

I know there are arguments for many races, some pretty strong, some weak. And there are races that IMO should have it, but don't (I'm looking at you, Dragonborn!).

So, I wanted to get your opinion. Below are dozens of playable races, vote for the race if you think they should have darkvision.
I really strongly feel that 4e did this best, with both low-light and darkvision being available and distinct. Going back to darkvision for everyone was a huge regression. I totally agree that darkness can be a major thing if not everyone can see in it so easily. Taking the light cantrip should be a meaningful thing for most races.

R_J_K75

Legend
IMO infravision, low light vision and dark vision has been a little more trouble than its worth. If it were up to me I'd get rid of it as a PC option. I'd keep it for some monsters/races but at a very reduced number. When some PCs have darkvision and others in the party don't those with it can just scout ahead nullifying the need for other to carry torches or at least keep track of them. Without looking it up I have trouble remembering the effects of darkness how far one can see in low light conditions, etc, so when I use the rules its planned, and most of the time we assume players that need it are using torches or lanterns.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I really strongly feel that 4e did this best, with both low-light and darkvision being available and distinct. Going back to darkvision for everyone was a huge regression. I totally agree that darkness can be a major thing if not everyone can see in it so easily. Taking the light cantrip should be a meaningful thing for most races.
Yep. The 5E Mod my group's is working on goes so far as to make Light, Dancing Lights, and Control Flames 1st-level spells again. I want most PCs to fear the dark... :devilish:

We have also removed darkvision from nearly all playable races with only a handful of exceptions. Long LIVE TORCHES AND LANTERNS!!! HAZZAH!

Yaarel

He Mage
Something like:

Brightvision (normal human):
• see in brightness in color
• see in dimness in black-and-white
• blind in darkness

Dimvision (nocturnal where the glare of daylight is partially blinding):
• see in brightness in black-and-white
• see in dimness (even as faint as the light of stars or a distant candle) in color
• blind in darkness

Darkvision (subterranean magical creatures, including drow elves who find magical dim lighting beneficial):
• blind in brightness
• see in dimness in color
• see in darkness in black-and-white

Fiendvision (magical creatures who personify darkness, including devil-touched or demon-touched tieflings):
• blind in brightness
• see in dimness in black-and-white
• see in darkness in color

Last edited:

Remove ads