• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Too much bickering about 5e, let's get down to what matters.

Is 5e going to be better or worse than other editions

• Better

Votes: 141 80.6%
  • Worse

Votes: 34 19.4%

Raith5

Adventurer
Difficult question. 4th ed has been my best D&D experience but the game certainly had a half baked/ crazy/ experimental sense to it. I really liked the way the mechanics helped to create cinematic gonzo play - even if it did not actively support other styles. But 5th ed does seem to be more thought through, and of course, overtly trying to go back to traditional sense of 2e and 3e D&D.

But I feel that some of the advances of 4th have been left out of 5th ed and the traditional sense of D&D has no personal value to me. So I think I want to try it out and see if can include some of the things that I think worked so well in 4th ed.

Zardnaar

Legend
Purely playstyle - 1e is still king for me.
Purely mechanics - 3e is likely the best.

It would cause me pain to play 4e.
2e is enough like 1e that I lump them together a lot.

So for me 5e is probably better than 4e and worse than the rest when it comes to playstyle. Mechanically it's probably better than most due to streamlining and d20.

More or less my opinion. I'm going to celebrate by buying a BECMI module and a real copy of the ACKs core book.

RotGrub

First Post
Purely playstyle - 1e is still king for me.
Purely mechanics - 3e is likely the best.

It would cause me pain to play 4e.
2e is enough like 1e that I lump them together a lot.

So for me 5e is probably better than 4e and worse than the rest when it comes to playstyle. Mechanically it's probably better than most due to streamlining and d20.

There certainly are a lot of folks looking for a 2.5e d20 or AD&D 3.0 game.

Zardnaar

Legend
There certainly are a lot of folks looking for a 2.5e d20 or AD&D 3.0 game.

Found it Castles and Crusades. MNore or less a 1st ed/3rd ed hybrid (focused more or 1st ed than 3rd) with plug in advantages (feats) and various other things. Very cool DMG as well (Castlekeeprs Guide whatever).

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
IDK if it will turn out better or worse in the long run, but right now all i know is i'm having a ton of fun running or playing it! (even more than the last edition)

Better. 5E already tickles all my "cool stuff" buttons, but without mechanics that make me want to throw up when I consider running another game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads