D&D General Top FIVE Monster books

JeffB

Legend
Saw someone on MEWE put up a question about what are people's top 5 monster books (any system) and why.

I'll list my top 4- Those were easy picks, I'm still having a hard time deciding on # 5- once I do I'll circle back and throw out some details.

EDITED- No particular order. Still unsure of #5

1) Dragonlance Fifth Age Bestiary (SAGA)- I am not a big DL fan, but this is the first in-depth exposure to DL that actually interested me. STAN did a fantastic job despite indicating in the foreword he did not even want to write this book. It is written in the first person from the POV of Caramon Majere - whom IIRC was one of the Heroes of the Lance in the original trilogy. It gives a fresh perspective of many typical D&D creatures as the details are specific to Ansalon. The art is quite good as well-done like a sketchbook by Caramon or maybe his helper. This is in essence a small sized softcover coffee table type book that is also a great game resource.

2) 13th Age Bestiary- Where to begin. Everything in 13A is a different take on the games it was influenced by. But the Bestiary is NUTS. Take the D&D creature you know and re-write it from the ground up. expand it, give it in game mechanics that are unique and tie heavily to it's fiction, offer multiple versions of the creature/related creatures, describe it's lair, describe several adventure hooks/storylines revolving around the creature, describe ways to use it in a combat including what other kinds of creatures may use it, or it may use, or may ally with it. Got a problem creature that has always turned into an argument/discussion between players and GM? avoiding the Gaze attack of a Basilisk?- lets talk about that and provide some options. And THEN we get into things like the creatures and how they relate to ICONS, and the 13A setting. Like most 13A books, it has a very personal, and casual writing style/voice which is welcome change of pace from most D&D/PF products of the last 20 years.

3) Creatures of Barsaive (Earthdawn)-This a "lore text" about the creatures- It is the writings of an Ancient Dragon, as translated by a Famous Human Scribe from a newer age. While there are some creatures that will be fam to D&D players, most are uniquely Barsaivian and extremely well done. No filler monsters like so many D&D monster books.

4) Manual of Monsters- Dungeon World- Unlike the previous 3 which I love for their depth. Dungeon World is all about brevity in rules. This book is free and re-done to look like the AD&D monster manual, but utilizes DW's to the point fictional descriptions and a few tags/keywords. to utilize for play. It's a back to basics approach to the very core of what each monster is that I found very inspirational. Sometimes Less is More.

CHIMERA
Setting-Twisted Experiments
Solitary, Large Construct
Bite (d10+1 damage); 16 HP; 1 Armor; Reach

Well-known and categorized, the chimera is a perfected creature. From the codices of the Mage’s Guild to the famous pages of Cullaina’s Creature Compendium, there’s no confusion about what chimera means. Two parts lioness, one part serpent, head of a she-goat, and all the vicious magic one can muster. The actual ritual might vary, as might a detail or two—more creative sorcerers switch the flame breath for acid, perhaps. Used as a guardian, an assassin or merely an instrument of chaos unchained, it matters little. The chimera is the worst sort of abomination: an intentional affront to all natural life.

Instinct: To do as commanded
  • Belch forth flame
  • Run them over
  • Poison them

5) TBD

Though I hope it wouldn't need to be said-Please list away your top 5 and why if you care to.

Last edited:

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Honorable mention: 13th Age Bestiary, because unbridled creatività in monster design

5) Dragonlance Saga Bestiary
Because of art and first-person narration

4) MM 3e
Because of rationalization of the previous mess

3) MC Binder (AD&D 2e) including Dark Sun and Ravenloft Appendices
Because of the Binder form; because had monsters from all settings

2) MM 1e
The original, paragon for all subsequent instances

1) MM 5e
Stellar art; plus, managed to simplify 3e Monsters; plus, Legendary Monsters. Better then the original!

Shiroiken

Legend
Others were good, but overall the Monstrous Compendium (2E) is the gold standard IMO. While the implementation wasn't as great as desired (the pages eventually broke out of the binder), a gigantic collection of monsters than can be added to with expansions, was an amazing concept before the digital age. In addition, the information was by far the most detailed for a "generic" monster book, giving information on their ecology, activity cycle, habitat, etc. This really helped DMs fully utilize them, integrating them into the world as more than just monsters to be killed.

I have to agree with Shiroiken, the 2nd MM in binder form was really great. All expansions could get in the 2 (3?) different binders and if a sheet was about to break you could photocopy it and easily replace it. I for my self had photocopied all the expansions and placed them in generic binders so as not to break/tear/damage my originals. But for the art, 3.x edition is even better. After that, some of the art was a bit childish. 5ed came back with good arts again. The Tome of Beast from Kobold press is worth mentioning.

Richards

Legend
1. Monstrous Manual, AD&D 2E. This, to me, has never been beaten as the potentially sole source of monsters for any given edition. Good layout, good spread of monsters, good artwork, lots of details about each. You could run a 2E campaign using only this book for your monster needs.

2. Monstrous Compendium series, AD&D 2E. As mentioned above, the 3-ring format was awesome and it had a great spread of monsters plus plenty of details about each. The only downside was after awhile it got difficult to find a given monster you were looking for - I'm sure I'm not the only one who built himself a spreadsheet so I could easily find where the monster I was looking for was hiding.

3. Monster Manual, D&D 3.5. The main monster sourcebook I use today, given I still play 3.5. Still a good spread of monsters, artwork ranging from very good to "what were they thinking?" - but it's sad that the ecological info was no longer present.

4. Deluxe Book of Templates, D&D 3.X (via the OGL). A force multiplier, adding all sorts of new options for the monster stats you already have.

5. The Tome of Horrors, D&D 3.X (via the OGL). Still the best (in some cases only) source for a lot of 3.X stats for a lot of monsters that predate 3.X that WotC was in no particular hurry to update to the new rules set.

I've only every played OD&D through 3.5, so anything that arrived after that wasn't even on my radar.

Johnathan

Last edited:

Jediking

Explorer
I've only DM'd for 5e so only have about five books to choose from...

I did really enjoy Volo's for the ecological, social, and other explanations of different cultures to use as long-term adversaries. To be able to do a large arc around mind flayers and duergar (as one example) is great.

I am a big fan of the 3e themed books that include both monsters and adventure rules, like Stormwrack, Frostburn, and Sandstone. Even for someone who has never played 3 or 3.5 those are great resources and full of cool ideas that I would love to run. Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes comes closest in 5e, to my knowledge, to doing that with the Blood War, and I would like to see more options like that come out every 1-2 years.

I played AD&D as a kid, missed 2nd-4th, and now am into 5th...

honorable mention: Fiend Folio (1E) and Volo's Guide to Monsters (5E)

5. Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes (5E)
Nice high level monsters. Solid deep dive into lore. Great artwork (looking at you, specifically, Jubilex about to betray Zuggtmoy).

4. Tome of Beasts (Kobold Press for 5e)
Pure volume play with 300+ monsters. Creative at that. Some are rather revolting, but they grow on you.

3. Monster Manual (1E)
Black and white line drawings FTW! Some serious, some comedic. Ah, sweet nostalgia.

2. Creature Codex (Kobold Press for 5e)
A better effort overall than it's predecessor.

1. Monster Manual (5e)
Great artwork, nice descriptions, classic monsters brought into the latest edition.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Monstrous Manual 2e, for reasons given
Creature catelog B/X, not huge, but nicely done
Monster manual 1e, key details only, not two pages per monster
5e monster manual. Art is is really good, or really bad. Not a lot of middle ground. But the lore is nice
Palladium fantasy. I'm spacing on the exact name, but it was clear and crisp with really good art

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I think my favorite was the old AC9: Creature Catalog, because it was the first supplement I ever bought with my own allowance money. I tried so hard to use every monster in it, and very nearly succeeded. The artwork wasn't very good (except for the cover), but I won't hold it against them this time.

My second, third, and fourth favorites are the "Monsters" chapters of the D&D Red Box Rules set, the D&D Expert Set, and the D&D Companion Set because of their clean and simple formatting, the easy-to-use stats, and the artwork of Larry Elmore.

Followed by the 3.5 Edition Monster Manual, because I'm a big fan of Jeremy Jarvis.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases